My Elegant AD700 Boom Mic Mod
May 8, 2010 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

OperatorPerry

100+ Head-Fier

I recently got the astro mixamp and some AD700's.  I used the zalman clip on mic but my friends constantly told me they could never hear me so I decided I need a boom mic.  I had heard about fragtality's velcro mod but I wanted something more elegant so I decided to actually install a jack in the headphones for a removable mic.  I ran the mic cable with the stock AD700 cable through braided sleeving and it splits off into the 3.5mm audio and mic terminations.  I used Neutrik 231-BG connectors for the end terminations and the female jack in the headphones.  The mic was around $.40 on Amazon and works perfectly.  There is no point of this without pics so here they are:

I hope you like it!

May 10, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 24
i have actually considered doing this to a jvc harx700

May 10, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 24
I was not that hard at all.  If you have soldering experience and know how to use a drill you should be able to do it.  Do not use hot glue to secure it.  I did at first then it came loose so I had to open up my cans again and I smothered it in epoxy then let it dry for 24 hours.

May 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 24
Good work. I have seen this mod done many, many times before, minus the dual split at the end 
biggrin.gif
 I still can't be bothered doing it though 
tongue.gif

May 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Good work. I have seen this mod done many, many times before, minus the dual split at the end 
biggrin.gif
 I still can't be bothered doing it though 
tongue.gif

I have also seen many kids with their velcro and labeltec mics before.  I hated having 2 wires dangling all around me (headphones + zalman clip on) and the velcro mod wouldn't change that so I decided to pull the plug and go the difficult, but more rewarding route.  This was my first headphone mod; when I heard them play after I soldered the terminations I was so glad I didn't break them.

May 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 24
That's pretty amazing. Hopefully I'll be able to do that kind of work someday. :)

edit: oh wait What it's Perry. Didn't expect to see you here. Keep on the good work on your videos, as well as your mods. :)

May 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 24
Seen this? He did a pretty amazing job too http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards-computer-audio/662315-audio-technica-ad700-rewire-mic-mod.html

May 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 24
looks good, but my boy sid3w8z has this mod on lock.. that and he's not a theif, pirate, or cheater.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484176/dark-knight-ad700-gaming-mod-lots-of-pics/0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back