my earmax pro just broke..
Jun 17, 2002 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
.. broke his voice
tongue.gif

it's sounding so much sweeter, larger soundstage and more detailed to what it was out of the box. the burn-in has really helped. both the sennheiser and grado is sounding like it has never sounded before. it really is quite amazing. even though they are no longer the hot product around, they are still one of the better product on the market, imo!

I ordered some Mullard 1960-70's CV455 double cross bar 12AT7 and Amperex Holland 6DJ8 to replace the stock.

I read the Mullard are avg tubes, a little laid back. I thought I'll try them out (and test the merchant) before forking out for a Telefunken ECC801S diamond bottom. I cant found any aus tube suppliers with the Sylvania Gold Brand but i am keeping an eye out on those too.

anyone like to share their thoughts on their earmax pro tubes?

Jun 17, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 19
This is what scares me about tubes... Sure the *amp* is cheap but then it takes $5000 worth of tube rolling to find that magical combo and inevitably the perfect tubes are some oddball rare NOS where only 10 exist on the planet.

OK, some I'm exagarating but rolling can get a bit out of hand and it's not like any if us here ever go overboard when it comes to our gear. :wink:

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 19
I use the Sylvania Gold Brand 6201 and a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6dJ8's in my EMP and love this combo. I also have a pair of Amperex Orange Globe 6dJ8's that are very good but maybe a slight step down from the Bugle Boys. I just got another Sylvania GB 6201 for a back-up from (http://www.audiotubes.com) for $30 US. Brent Jessee at Audiotubes is a good guy and has reasonable prices on tubes but I am not sure if he will mail oversees.

I have not done alot of tube rolling but instead just went out and bought tubes that are usually recomended in the appropriate categories and they have been a nice upgrade from the stock tubes. I have about $100 in my NOS tubes (you don't have to get carried away and spend "$5000" just to test every tube yourself). I am very happy with my setup.

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
.. I thought I'll try them out (and test the merchant) before forking out for a Telefunken ECC801S diamond bottom.

I only wish I had an Earmax pro. I did try a tube purporting to be a Tele ECC801S (not sure, the diamond looks more like a triangle) on my MG Head (even though it is spec'd for 12AX7). It is the best I've heard out of a half dozen well regarded tubes (though I haven't heard any of the famous 5751).

My point is that I'd be very surprised if it didn't produce great results in the Earmax.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 19
while its true that tube rolling cost alot of money. it also offers more fexibility and room for improvement over its solid state counterparts. to achieve the same level of improvement with solid state usually means big $$ at places like modwrights. so, i think tube is an advantage not an disadvantage.

jim, ive checked out audiotubes. looks good and may be a solution if i cant found the equivalent in australia. main problem with us purchases is that shipping costs over $20 not including the hassle of sending international money orders and what have you. some stores have minimum orders for overseas too. gets very expensive.
frown.gif

id love to try the Sylvania and the Telefunken one day!

ps: am i the only the only one who gets a giggle out of the word "Telefunken".
how do you pronounce that word? tell-e-funk-en?

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

I use the Sylvania Gold Brand 6201 and a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6dJ8's in my EMP and love this combo. I also have a pair of Amperex Orange Globe 6dJ8's that are very good but maybe a slight step down from the Bugle Boys.

what ratio do you think should be spent on the 12at7 tube vs the two 6dj8? is it true that better sound can be gained by replacing the 12at7 compared to the 6dj8?

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
while its true that tube rolling cost alot of money. it also offers more fexibility and room for improvement over its solid state counterparts. to achieve the same level of improvement with solid state usually means big $$ at places like modwrights. so, i think tube is an advantage not an disadvantage.

SS opamp rolling isn't that difficult or expensive. It's a bit more than plug-n-pray but not too complex as long as you pay attention. Of course, it usually involves some solder and thats a turn off to some (not me, I love the fumes).

I was just kidding about it costing $5000 but it certainly can get out of hand if you aren't careful.

One of these days I hope to build myself a decent tube-amp so I can start rolling away. The problem is theres so too many desgns and too little time!

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 19
and you can try out many different types of opamps all for free!!(in batches of 3 even)
very_evil_smiley.gif

i havent touched a soldering iron since uni.. but i would never ever even consider ripping up, say my porta corda, desoldering and soldering in new opamps.. no way. i do like the porta corda, its a nice little amp
biggrin.gif

btw, i was listening to an old rollins band cd, end of silence on the emp. i swear, i heard henry burst a blood vessel!! the emp roxs!
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 19
...one contact with the Gods of tube rolling with my EMP. It was a Sylvania Gold Brand. I used it with HD600's and ATH-W100's. It was, to my ears, a step up (some midrange clarity increase...slight at best) and a step down (fuggin' brighter, unpleasantly so, more markedly so than the clarity increase).

In the end, I stuck with stock and was happier for it. The stocks are really good, for what I listened to, which was a diverse range (jazz, rock, pop, classical, etc.)

Best,
Matt

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 19
I rolled the stock tubes & have been very happy with the results:

For the center tube, I used Sylvania Gold 6201, purchased from Upscale Audio (private reserve tube) into my EMP & noticed the following:

1. highs went a bit higher
2. bass became more distinct & less muffled, and
3. there was more detail overall

I then replaced the 6dj8's with a pair of Telefunken E88CC's, gold pin, diamond bottom. Again, more detail & clarity. The soundstage noticeably widened with these tubes.

I am wondering how a pair of Amperex PQ white labels would sound...I'm keeping an eye out for a pair, but am not planning to go overboard with the tube rolling.

Taoster, if you think the EMP already sounds better, just wait...it seemed to me to improve over a longer period than you might think possible
smily_headphones1.gif
It just keeps getting better & better...

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 19
hey larry, i too am using an arcam cd72 (not T) with the emp.

i got to agree with you there, the emp still has lots of burning to do, its already made vast improvement compared to when i got it.

those are nice tubes you got there! im going to keep an eye out for the Sylvania Gold Brand 2nd hand or locally. did you found the 6dj8 much improvement over the stock too?

i think it still sounds lacking.. i got new tubes and bolder cable on the way. if i am still not satisfied.. its the art dio i go! (quite a mouthful).

what do you think of the sound of the arcam cd72t with the emp?

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 19
taoster,

I found that there was a noticeable difference in sound when I rolled the 6dj8's. I won't say there was a *huge* difference, but it was noticeable, especially with the soundstage.

As for the Arcam, it's my first *real* cd player, which replaced the Sony D-25s, which really was pretty fair. I need to do a little switching back & forth between the 2 since they are my only reference.

The arcam right off the bat was less grainy than the d-25s, and it has more detail. I've noticed more of a real woody sound from strings, and I'm picking up more vibrato in the vocals and quavers from instruments...if that makes sense.

My favorite type of music with the EMP is female vocals and strings (guitar, banjo, classical). It really shines in that respect.

I'm going to DIY a new power cord (VenHaus recipe) for the Arcam (for fun!) and also an outlet extension for the emp & cdp. (if you want to see, go to www.audiotweaks.com , DIY projects).

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 19
Try the Ei Elites -- haven't a/b'd, yet, but offhand, they're the best current production combination I've tried.

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
Taoster, if you think the EMP already sounds better, just wait...it seemed to me to improve over a longer period than you might think possible
smily_headphones1.gif
It just keeps getting better & better...

You are sooo right, Larry.....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back