My DT770-250 sounds like poop
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been a long time since I've listened to them as I have been using my UM2 at work and PS-1 at home. Since I picked up a Hornet I thought I'd use them again at work and they sound terrible! The sound even worse amped using the headphone out on my iPod than they did on my iRiver. Have I just gotten used to better cans listening to the UM2 and PS-1??

I'm hoping when my Turbodock II arrives the line-out option will correct this and let me enjoy them again but I don't remember them sounding this bad with my SM3 and iRiver. I have a hard time believing the Hornet is to blame but I guess anything is possible.

Any thoughts on why I am hearing such poor SQ out of what was once pretty enjoyable to me??

BTW - iRiver was all WMA at 128 and iPod is a mix of Lossless and AAC 256 VBR.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
It's been a long time since I've listened to them as I have been using my UM2 at work and PS-1 at home. Since I picked up a Hornet I thought I'd use them again at work and they sound terrible! The sound even worse amped using the headphone out on my iPod than they did on my iRiver. Have I just gotten used to better cans listening to the UM2 and PS-1??

I'm hoping when my Turbodock II arrives the line-out option will correct this and let me enjoy them again but I don't remember them sounding this bad with my SM3 and iRiver. I have a hard time believing the Hornet is to blame but I guess anything is possible.

Any thoughts on why I am hearing such poor SQ out of what was once pretty enjoyable to me??

You're amping the headphone out on your ipod and wondering why they sound terrible? Ever heard of garbage in, garbage out? The Turbodock should solve all your woes-- using the line out versus the headphone out will make a WORLD of difference. I can't believe someone who owns a PS-1 and UM2 doesn't know this already.....

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 18
The Iriver has a decent EQ section on it, doesn't it? That may help to explain why they didn't sound that bad through the headphone out on the IRiver....

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
The Iriver has a decent EQ section on it, doesn't it? That may help to explain why they didn't sound that bad through the headphone out on the IRiver....

That's what I was thinking and yes I am well aware for the garbage in bit but as I said above they did not sound that bad with the iRiver and SM3 which is why I was wondering what role the amp was playing. Even with the iRiver and Hornet they sound worse than they did with the iRiver and SM3.

My ears may have just gotten used to better sound since or the SM3 had a better synergy in that dept... or maybe both. One of the main reasons I got the iPod is for the line-out so if that does not give a big improvement it may go back.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

So... in a nutshell youre comparing :

Home rig: denon CD => Singlepower tubes => PS-1
-TO-
Portable rig: Ipod => hornet => DT770-250

I really don't think the portable rig has any chance of sounding remotely as good as your home setup, even if you use the ipod line out. I could say some negative things about your portable rig.... but don't want to de-rail your thread.

Try plugging the DT770 into your home rig, and see if its the cans.

Garrett

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 18
The difference between amping hte line out and amping hte headphone amp with the 770s and a supermacro is going to be fairly insignificant. I think the problem is you've gotten used to a much higher standard...

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 18
No Garrett that's not it at all.

I'm comparing iRiver H10 -> SM3 (with NE5534 in class A) -> DT770 to:

iRiver H10 -> Hornet -> DT770 and iPod -> Hornet -> DT770

The only reason the home rig and UM2 were brought into the topic is because I have not listened to my DT770 in a long time. I listen to my UM2 about 6hrs a day M-F and was wondering if because of that the DT770's sound worse now because the UM2 is a better headphone and I have gotten used to it's sound.

... and portable rig of iRiver/iPod -> UM2 -> Hornet = bad ???

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 18
You may be right, I think my question was just misunderstood.

Either the SM3 was better for the DT770 (weather it be power, synergy, or whatever) or my ears have grown more partial to the UM2 sound and the flaws of the DT770 are now more apparent. Or it could be a combination.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

That's what I was thinking and yes I am well aware for the garbage in bit but as I said above they did not sound that bad with the iRiver and SM3 which is why I was wondering what role the amp was playing. Even with the iRiver and Hornet they sound worse than they did with the iRiver and SM3.

My ears may have just gotten used to better sound since or the SM3 had a better synergy in that dept... or maybe both. One of the main reasons I got the iPod is for the line-out so if that does not give a big improvement it may go back.

Never understimate synergy-- I've often had cheaper amps, sources and phones that, when paired together, sound better to my ears than a more expensive combo.

I'm pretty sure that the headphone out of the Iriver is much better than the headphone out of the iPod, so that may have been more of a factor than the amp being used. But again, could have just as well been the synergy between the hornet & ipod hp out that made it not as enjoyable.

Regardless, that Turbodock will make a huge difference when it arrives... have fun w/ it!

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Never understimate synergy-- I've often had cheaper amps, sources and phones that, when paired together, sound better to my ears than a more expensive combo.

I'm pretty sure that the headphone out of the Iriver is much better than the headphone out of the iPod, so that may have been more of a factor than the amp being used. But again, could have just as well been the synergy between the hornet & ipod hp out that made it not as enjoyable.

Regardless, that Turbodock will make a huge difference when it arrives... have fun w/ it!

OH!! Got it!!
I also think its more an issue of synnergy with cans/amp/source. There are some amps that just flat out stink with certain cans, yet absolutely SING with others.

Heck, just rolling OP amps can make a night/day difference.

I have 2 mints. Identical. #2 has R11 bypassed to open up the buffers and it sounds nasty with my Grados.... hissy, snarlingly aggressive, But it works WONDERS for my HD580. Mint #1 is a stock build and it works great with my Grados.

Garrett

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 18
The deeper I go into this audio rabbit hole the more apparent the importance of synergy becomes to me! The SM3 w/ NE5534 in class A put a layer of film between me and the music with the UM2 but sounded warm and had nice control and depth with the DT770.

Once I get my Turbodock II and Tiny Diamond I'll be able to tell if the amp is a good match or not. It does mate very well with my UM2 and I hear it did well with the E500 which I also am impatiently waiting for so I'll give it time but it would be nice to have the DT770 option at work if I didn't feel like wearing IEM's. Who know's I may end up with a SM3 v6 but I'd rather just be pleased with what I have then have to jump on that waiting list
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 18
I own DT770/250's and UM2's, and they sound pretty different, but the UM2's certainly do not make the DT770 sound like poop. In fact there are many things about the DT770's presentation I prefer. I do agree, you need to try the DT770 in a home rig to make sure there is not some compatibility issue. But in the meantime, what exactly about them sounds bad?

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I own DT770/250's and UM2's, and they sound pretty different, but the UM2's certainly do not make the DT770 sound like poop. In fact there are many things about the DT770's presentation I prefer. I do agree, you need to try the DT770 in a home rig to make sure there is not some compatibility issue. But in the meantime, what exactly about them sounds bad?

They sound thin, they lack clarity and depth, they distort at loud volumes, etc. You are running line-out, how signifigant is the difference (iMod aside)? Also how does your UM2 sound with your SM3 V6?

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 18
The UM2's sound very good with the SM3V6, although they are a bit rolled off on top, and I don;t think they image all that well (but I have never heard an IEM that imaged all that well IMO).

By comparison, the DT770/250's have more top end, maybe a bit too much even, but they are clear as a bell, never distort, and have very good depth, again, IMO. I never use the headphone out, but I think this sounds like some problem has developed with the DT770, esp. if you hear distortion, or else you're headphone out is overdriving your amp's input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back