My DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #3,633 of 4,051
Very nice! To find the right tension isn’t easy. Keep trying!

What kind of cable do you use?
I am using STAX SRE-725 extension cable. I bought it used for good price. I only needed to make y-split part.

@Ulfar4 Beautiful! I think I need to buy 3D printer or DIY. :)
Thanks. Yeah, it is very good tool for diy things.

Dec 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #3,634 of 4,051
It was a great fun meeting with @Tachikoma and his “boss” last Saturday. :wink:

E53-AE0-FD-683-D-4-A97-AAB0-637-F7-A7-A7262.jpg

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #3,637 of 4,051
I decided to try build a measurement rig. I started with buying microphone. I bought POM-2738P-R. Then I soldered simple circuit so I can connect it with my sound card. There is result:

(on the picture, the are headphones with 70mm active area)
JG3rlnw.png

I know that paper box is not ideal solution since I am not able to measure low frequency very well. Also the mic is not calibrated but I was surprised that I got some results.

First I measured my lambda nova.There is the large peak between 1kHz and 2kHz, so they have highlighted mids.
Yux8DXS.png

Next headphones was my first pair I made. They have round driver with 70mm active area. Mids are not so much presented as they was at lambads.
dU6ekVR.png

Finally, there is my latest pair from previous posts. For me they are the best sounding in comparisons with others.
1TwIf8I.png

In summary, I can hear some things from graphs and I think it is great help to understanding what is going on. Now I can tune my headphones, and then compare these changes with my ears and graphs. Now I can focus on membrane tension experimenting to achieve best sound.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,639 of 4,051
legopart: Microphone I mentioned above is electret type.

Anyway, I did not like the paper box for measuring, so I drew up and print new holder for measuring. When I finish this, I will upload 3d models so everyone can print this if someone want.
First prototype:
RsX9HHr.png

XD9dopg.png

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #3,641 of 4,051
I finished my measurement rig. I have built new amp for microphone so I can use it directly with line input of my sound card.
If anyone want to print this, there are 3D models:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4099146

mFpxt1m.png

Here is new measurement of my headphones:
e1Hy7HT.png

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #3,643 of 4,051
I finished my measurement rig. I have built new amp for microphone so I can use it directly with line input of my sound card.
If anyone want to print this, there are 3D models:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4099146

mFpxt1m.png

Here is new measurement of my headphones:
e1Hy7HT.png

Hello,
I also made 80mm drivers with similar case. What force you use to tension the membrane? Do you use dust covers?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #3,645 of 4,051
I have a question to the fellows here. I have very little CAD experience and I have been using Fusion 360. Fusion 360 does not have a fill pattern tool like solidworks so how does everyone here go about filling the Stator with holes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back