1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

My DIY electrostatic headphones

Tags:
First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
  1. lkos98
    Exactly, that's why I put recommended in quotes. If one knows the leakage resistance, he would then assume a resistance of lets say 100-1000 times lower than that, is good. It would be high enough for prevention of charge migration and at the same time low enough for the leakage.
    But how to measure the leakage? So - how much low is low enough and how much high is high enough? People say somewhere between 10MOhm and 100GOhm. This is a huge difference. What I'm trying to do by measuring, is to get these limits closer, so I can try different coatings (and solutions) - if they can give similar resistance and are stable enough.

2. Tachikoma
    I deliberately recoated a membrane that was working fine, which was rather silly of me.

I have a few damaged membranes that I could try measuring... if I can be bothered to try >__< I would only be able to do it with a 9V battery instead of a 300V supply.

I suspect that the relationship between "loudness" and coating resistance is not necessarily a unimodal plot.

3. lkos98
    @Tachikoma
    9V may work if you put the coins very close to each other (less than 1mm ?).
    Otherwise as a high voltage supply you can use the bias voltage of your amp/energizer. Just run a wire from it to the first coin ( or spacer ring). To measure the bias voltage itself you need to know the bias resistor and your voltmeter resistance values and just calculate. You can also connect the voltmeter BEFORE the bias resistor and measure it straight (just make sure the voltmeter is specified for at least 600V and of course be careful :)).
    Although I'm not sure if the membrane is damaged, what is the coating condition and if there is any sense to measure it.
    The relationship I think is definitely not unimodal. I'm just guessing it's non linear, but of some P = V^2 / R kind. So when the resistance is very high, change does not affect the loudness much. And when the resistance is close to infinity (non coated membrane) the power is 0.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. qu1en
    Anyone know the dimensions of the active area of the diaphragm of stax headphones? (the common stax Lambdas that look like cheese graters).

5. Ulfar4
    I looked on my lambdas and it is 90x45mm, but it has rounded corners so it will be less.

6. Ulfar4
    Anyway I started working on my new phones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lkos98
    @Ulfar4 Impressive design! The holes are that big, or it's just for the drawing?

8. Ulfar4
    Thanks. It is only for drawing. In real, it will have 2mm holes.

9. legopart
    Can I replace the dust covers with some material ?

will it improve the bass and the treble if I gonna stretch the diaphragm stronger from the vertical ?
    [​IMG]

10. chinsettawong
    You don’t want the dust cover to change the sound. Don’t put tension on it.

11. legopart
    Stax up to Lambda Pro using some mesh material on the back plate instead of the dust filter.

the second quastion is about the membrane between the stators, if I gonna to apply another tension on each corner will it improve the bass and the treble ?

12. chinsettawong
    You should really try and make a pair and see what you can achieve. What you are asking is very strange and I don’t think any of us here has tried it. The tension of the diaphragm affects the bass response directly. But I don’t think that stretching the diaphragm in one direction more than the other direction will make any improvement or difference. You better try it and report back.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019 at 2:30 AM
First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240