First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Page 10 of 201
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. chinsettawong
    I have fixed the last few bugs that I have today, and I have give them a good 2 hours of listening.  They sound pretty good now.  However, I thought by using double diaphragms, I would get a significant improvement on bass response, but I don't.  I'm not sure why.   :frowning2:

Wachara C.

2. spritzer
    Might it be the baffle seal which is the issue?  If the front and back waves can collide then the first thing to go is the bass...

3. chinsettawong

Quote:

Hi Spritzer,

That might be the case.  I am now listening to them by using my hands holding them against my ears.  I haven't got a headband for them yet.  I think I will go ahead and use the headband of my Stax 407 with them.  Let's see if there is any improvement.

Wachara C.

4. c12mech
    I've been watching this and am interested in doing it myself.  I don't have a cnc machine but do have above average woodworking and metalworking skills.  I like the way tat you used the pcb materials and was wondering if it would make a difference if I etched the hole pattern then drilled it with a drill press.  I know it is not as accurate as the cnc but I think it could be done.  As for the cups a nice looking piece of wood, routed properly, could do the trick.  I don't see why this would not work but let me know your thoughts.  

5. chinsettawong
    Hi C12mech,

Your method will definitely work.  :)

Yes, the enclosure, if made out of wood, would look even better, IMO.

Wachara C.

6. c12mech
    Once I get started I'm sure I will have a lot of questions. 

Thanks for the inspiration to do something completely different.  I've wanted to try this for a while and seeing your work got me thinking of different ways to solve the problems I was having.  Now I just have to order the materials and do it.

7. chinsettawong
    Hi C12mech,

Please do not be shy to ask a lot of questions.  Just go for it.

There are a lot of materials that you can use for making stators.  Just for fun, you can even make the stators out of metal mosquito net.  :)

Wachara C.

8. c12mech
     I have a large supply of aluminum but don't know that it would work so well.  I'm having trouble locating the mylar film right now.  I can find it down to 6 micron pretty easily but that is after that I can only find it in large rolls.  The sources that I have come from ESL speaker builders.  I showed my wife some of them and she liked the way they look.  Those will be on my list to do as well.

9. chinsettawong
    Hi C12mech,

Aluminum works well.  However, it is not easy to solder onto aluminum.  I would use a thin metal sheet instead.

About Mylar, you can buy it off ebay.  There are many thicknesses to choose from.

I also make ESL.  To me, it's a lot more difficult to make a good pair of ESLs.  But they do sound very good.  :)

Wachara C.

10. chinsettawong
    I borrow the headband from my Stax 407 to put my drivers on. Now they sound a lot better.

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0906.jpg

11. spritzer
    That does look brilliant.  [​IMG]

12. TheKisho
    Nice!  How much did that cost you to make and when you going into production? ;D  You do very nice work.  I've been following this thread for a while now.  Would Sennheiser HD600's ear pads work on these headphones or would that ruin the sound? [I don't know much about electrostatic headphones, just curious].  How does the sound on your DIY headphones compare to commercially made dynamic and electrostatic headphones?  I cannot imagine somebody making DIY dynamic headphones from scratch, drivers and all that sound anywhere close to the quality of commercially available headphones but electrostatic headphones seem simple enough to make a really high class product.

-Curious thread follower

13. chinsettawong
    Quote:

Thanks, Spritzer!

Quote:

Hi TheKisho,

I make my own just for fun.  There is no plan for a production run.  :wink:

If you open up a pair of commercial electrostatic headphones, you will be surprised that the parts are very similar to what I make.  Indeed, electrostatic headphones are not very difficult to make at all.  As for comparison, everyone has his own opinion.  But as for me, as you can see, I even take out the headband of my brand new Stax 407 to put my drivers in.  That should tell you something.  :wink:

Wachara C.

14. McGyver
    Good work Wachara, they look realy nice!

Where did you find the cable you use?

Roger

15. chinsettawong

Quote:

Hi Roger,

The cable is actually an extension cable of Koss ESP950.  I make my own jack.  :)

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Page 10 of 201
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last