My definition of an audiophile
Aug 1, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #16 of 22
Nice thead. I would classify someone as an audiophile if they buy audio gear to suit the music rather than the other way round.

Also, maybe there's another type of Audiophile that buys different gear to suit different music genres.

This makes waaay too much sense, baskingshark. Pleez stop already! :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 22
I think there are many more types than 2. EQ can of course be used tame bright headphones or level up bass light ones. In a simplistic way many A's would eschew EQ and B's use it to make significant adjustments.
I thought this would drop straight through Headfi.

But why does there need to be a "type" or types in the first place though, Sefelt103? I suppose that's my real question.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #18 of 22
There doesn't need to be a type. You often hear people refer to the term audiophile. It means different things to different people. I just found it curious to try to classify what it might be. One aspect I didn't touch was the possibility of it being an unhealthy obsession that damages an individual's free time and puts a heavy financial burden for minimal enjoyment.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 22
For me an audiophile is someone who strives to get the very best sound quality from the audio equipment that he/she currently has.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s all I had was a twin cassette deck. I bought demagnetisers for the heads, liquid head cleaners, the best blank cassette tapes that I could afford, etc. The sole purpose was to get the best sound quality that I could. In today's world I play with the software settings and try various cables, earpads, etc., for the same purpose.

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 22
There doesn't need to be a type. You often hear people refer to the term audiophile. It means different things to different people. I just found it curious to try to classify what it might be. One aspect I didn't touch was the possibility of it being an unhealthy obsession that damages an individual's free time and puts a heavy financial burden for minimal enjoyment.

I suppose I just get a little concerned when I hear people talk about "classifying" or sorting human beings into one type or category or another... like a scientist would do with different species of birds, insects, plants or reptiles. :) It feels slightly dehumanizing. Like we're all just rodents running around someone's (or something's) giant maze.

People seem to have a natural tendency though to want to identify differences in everything. And to separate or segregrate what they like from what they don't. I suppose it's only natural in a way. It's just a bit of shame that we have to do it to others of our own species or ken.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 22
For me an audiophile is someone who strives to get the very best sound quality from the audio equipment that he/she currently has.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s all I had was a twin cassette deck. I bought demagnetisers for the heads, liquid head cleaners, the best blank cassette tapes that I could afford, etc. The sole purpose was to get the best sound quality that I could. In today's world I play with the software settings and try various cables, earpads, etc., for the same purpose.
I remember doing that too, and trying to buy the best cassettes I could, like a certain type of metal that would create a better sq.

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 22
Audiophile does not mean wheat it meant in the early 70's. You had the kit/tinkerer type looking for a music fix cheap, and the retail buyers also looking for music. There was only zip cord, and a Marantz 1060 was a good integrated amp, and most of the speakers were under $500 a pair - Lg Advent, KLH 5, AR3a, Dynaco A-25; some more expensive: Bozak's, KLH 9's, Magenpans, Altec-Lansing, DQ-10's in '73, and the of course the frauds - Bose 901/501/301.

Things started to go South in 1975-76, by 1980, it was expected that you would spend money on cables (beyond the minimum), and own some of these: Levinson, ARC, Conrad-Johnson, Ampzilla, Fidelity Research, etc. This is when you would first spy the nose in the air, excess money spending, constant updating, audio nervosa types - and they would play only shaded dogs, and other elite vinyl, and sometimes 15 ips reel. Beat up records? Oh heaven forfend! It'll damage my FR1-3F cartridge.

From 1975-80 I worked for a Robin Hood outfit, selling stuff like Onkyo T-4055's for $141, and Util Advents for $169/pr, Cizek, Dyna etc. It's '80-'82 when I went full high end so I could buy vendor stuff from 40-60% off (Namamichi Dragons, Bryston, Dynavector, Oracle, FR, , DCM, Magnepan, Yamaha, Braun, etc.) and I saw the King has no clothes type being teased and prodded to continue to upgrade. It happens in wine, art, homes, collectables.... I quit to get a serious career and get away from this stuff. I quit moving through equipment like underwear around 1985, got away from dealers and mags. By 1998 I was holding equipment for 20+ years. Then finally sold the real expensive stuff in '15, and mr analog went all digital. Nice that headphones still keep me at very high sound quality at much lower prices. I listen to at least 5 albums I never heard before every week, and sometimes give a strong opinion here. I'm an audiophile, but not the nervosa type.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back