My dad is sick -
May 20, 2004 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ticky

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got off the phone with my sis who is in California. My parents are not coming to my graduation. My dad got really sick in San Francisco; he and my mom will be going back to Thailand tomorrow.

I spoke with my dad. He said he felt fine, but he is getting alot of rashes - all over his body - and some pus on his skin. It's almost like a bad infection. He had rashes for some time and had been taking prescribed medication for it. Till now, the condition was always minor. But, somehow, when he got to the US, the condition got worse. I told him to go see a doctor here, but he is reluctant. My dad is very particular about his physician.
mad.gif

Nevertheless, I convinced him to call his dermatologist in Thailand and inquire whether he should check in at a hospital here in the US or whether it is safe to wait till he gets back to Thailand.

Frankly, I could care less about graduation right now. I'm really worried. One reason why I decided to return home to Thailand after law school is to be closer to my parents. My parents, especially my dad, are getting old now. I hope to start taking over the handling my family's financial affairs and persuade my dad to retire. My dad's a businessman and he's a bit of a workaholic sometimes. His immune system has never been very strong; he gets sick easily.

There's so much I still have to learn from my dad. I hope to be as capable a father and entrepreneur as he is. I really hope nothing bad happens.
frown.gif

May 20, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 10
Sounds like your dad's pretty lucky to have a devoted son. Good luck to you and your family.
CPW

May 20, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Skin rashes, is it allergy? I remember getting them twice in my life, all over my body. But since it went away after a day, I didn't bother doing anything about it. Still dont know what causes it.

Generally long distance travel, stress, and change of environment, food, will lower body's immune system. Hopefully nothing is serious here. But since they are returning home tomorrow and have been seeing physicians and taking medications regularly, I think he should be fine.

Did your dad tried other physicians though? You said it has been there for some times now so perhaps the medication isn't good enough. I recommend Bangkok Bumrungrad Hospital. Though a bit expensive, but the people there are truly professionals.

May 20, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 10
Ticky, may I ask what's the problem with your dad. Sounds like dermathitis to me. I have a similar problem in my hands and, before I got married, my face was covered with pustules and badly inflamed, so I looked like a fresh burn victim. So anyway, maybe some herbolary or natural products could be of some help.

May 20, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 10
I told my dad last night to phone his doctor back home, but he refuses too. What's wrong with making a phone call?! Precautions never hurts. Plus, its day-time back in Thailand. I swear, adults sometimes behave like children as they get older.

He's visited many dermatologists - our family physician is a doctor at Bamrungrad - and so far they couldn't tell exactly what's wrong with him. One doctor mentioned that he had seen similar conditions before but could not determine the cause of the problem. The doctor prescribed some steroids for my dad along with other medication for external application. The medication seems to keep the rashes and skin problems under control.

Prior to coming to the US, my dad had a body check up and a blood test. The results are due at the end of the month. My cousin made an appointment with his doctor for the morning after he arrives back in Bangkok. I really think my dad shouldn't take another intercontinental flight quite so soon. He does fly business class, but still the flight is still tiring. Plus, the inflight recycled dry air might further aggrevate the skin condition. We're talking about a man who frequently gets sick when the temperature drops by a mere a degree or two.

But, he's flying back as I write this. So, I'll just have to wait till tomorrow to check in on my dad when he arrives.

May 20, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Ticky-
I have been dealing with psoriasis and various other skin disorders for many years, most of my life....so I know how frustrating it can be. My prayers are with your Dad and you as well.
I am sure once he checks in with his Doctor, he will be able to get it under control.
John

May 20, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Ticky. I wish the best for your father.

My father almost died from a Gall bladder infection last year. He also suffered a mini stroke. I dropped everything and flew home. He is doing OK on blood thinning medication. It was a scary and close call.

I still worry, as he's a workaholic.

-Ed

May 20, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the well wishes.

I spoke with my sister a few times today, and my parents are home-ward bound at the moment. She and I agree that some of the causes for his ailment might be the result of stress and worrying too much. My dad worries a lot and he doesn't sleep well at night.

My mom once told me that my dad refuses to travel on long flights with her because he's afraid if something happens, my sis and I would become orphans (mind you this was when I was already past 20 years old). Prior to making any long journeys, he often leaves letters with my uncle, informing the latter what to do should an accident occur. Needless to say, this "habit" of his annoys my mom to no end. She think he's getting senile.

I need to find a way to get my dad to learn to relax a little. The problem is, I suspect I might suffer from the same pyschological oddity. I too worry a lot. Most of my friends - even back in highschool - think I'm too uptight. Heck, I'm slightly insomniac and I'm only 26.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back