My Custom M Audio AV 40 Speaker Stands
Jun 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

krosenqu

Head-Fier
Hey all.  After looking around for desktop speaker stands that would fit my needs (~6-8" high) and not finding anything, I decided to make my own.  Here is my build thread.  I have plans in Google Sketchup if anybody is curious.

Here is my current setup:

As you can see, the speakers are on my desk.  They need to be raised about 6-8" for the tweaters to be level with my ears at sitting level.
Here was my temporary solution lol:

Also, I would like the finished wood to be Cherry to match my floor and the Moto Droid phone stand.

So, here we go.  I found this wood in the basement.  There is just enough to create the stands I want (about 7" x 12').  I assume its cherry.  Maybe mohagony?  I may or may not use the shelf liner to go on the bottom between the desk and stand.

To be continued......

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 30
Here are the stands all cut out.  I have yet to do the router for the edges.

Here they are after rounding the edges with the router.

The light is funny in the following pics.  They aren't actually that red yet.  I still have yet to stain them.  Thats for tomorrow :)

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 30
wow, so sharp, so clean....  wanna sell them
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 30

Quote:
How did you attach the vertical pieces to the top and bottom?  Glue or nails?

I attached them with 10 x 1.5" screws.  I have a countersunk drill bit that will allow me to make the screw heads flush (or even a bit recessed) with the top and bottom of the stands. 

I stained the stands with Minwax "Cherry" wood stain and they came out brown
angry_face.gif
.   I had tested all of the stains I had and this was the reddest stain I had.  I didn't like it but I used it anyways because its what I had.  O well.  Can't be perfect.  I'll get some final pics after I put the clear coat on it.

Just thinking...

Any ideas on how to get that stain any red..er?  Redder?  More red?  There we go.  Once its stained, I think its done.  But maybe... I dono.  I should do a few test pieces.  I need to go to the store anyways so maybe I'll pick up some red stain (if there is such a thing).

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 30
Depending on the wood, you may need a second coat or will have to prime it beforehand (prime isn't quite the right word, I forget what it is). If you're trying to get a deep red, you'll probably need several applications anyways.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
Depending on the wood, you may need a second coat or will have to prime it beforehand (prime isn't quite the right word, I forget what it is). If you're trying to get a deep red, you'll probably need several applications anyways.

I may give it another coat.  However, when looking in the can after a thorough mixing, its a light brown.  Maybe over time, the reg pigments have faded in the can?  Its Minwax Cherry.

Which... BTW, they dont make anymore lol.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 30
If it's a softwood, it'll also absorb the stain differently. Best bet is really to take a piece of wood scrap to a store and ask the pros.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 30
Has anyone ever bought these? I think these are overpriced...
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Monitor-Stands-M-Audio-Studiophile-AV-40-1-pr-/320538346304?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa1930340

Also, how much would you be willing to charge if I asked for one of these? :]

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 30
I've had many offers so far.  Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience and patience, any dollar amount wouldn't be high enough :)

I'd want something like $200 for materials and labor.  Even if that price is good for you, because of my lack of experience, I wouldn't be able to guarantee a product that meets my standards or your standards.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
I've had many offers so far.  Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience and patience, any dollar amount wouldn't be high enough :)

I'd want something like $200 for materials and labor.  Even if that price is good for you, because of my lack of experience, I wouldn't be able to guarantee a product that meets my standards or your standards.

Its alright I understand.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 30
Ok, I went to Rockler today. 

Thanks to the help of a fellow forum member on droid forums . net, I went with a wood dye instead of stain.  So I went with a friend to the Rockler wood store here in Hoffman Estates IL.

I brought along a test piece of wood and looked though their wood dye selections.  A helpful employee even offered to do a few tests with different color dyes.  So i chose the color I liked once tested and bought it.

I love it the results!  Wow!  The color is beautiful!  And thats without a clear-coat!

(This picture really doesn't do it justice)

Be sure to wear gloves.  I had a tiny hole in the tip of my latex glove and now my whole finger is red!  It helps when the gloves your using aren't older than you are lol.  I went and used some nitrile gloves after that little fiasco.

Anyways...

Here is a piece before staining:

And then after:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back