My completed AC mains filter.
post-1490517
Post #1 of 1

Garbz

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Someone recently dived into an AC mains lead and surprise surprise didn't hear a difference resulting in a lovely flamewar. So since the cord didn't please I was wondering if something more serious on the AC side would have an effect.

So nothing fancy really. A few X grade caps to kill common mode noise, a few Y grade caps to kill differential noise, and some 10A inductors to get whatever's left. For safty reasons there's also a 10A thermal circuit breaker in there. Also varistors included for protections sake, which should prevent damage in anything short of a lightning strike.

Anyway thankgod it didn't have the effect I was expceting, which truthfully was a quick death to anything resembling dynamic range. What I wasn't expecting is the sound to smoothen out ever so slightly in the treble. Nothing serious though. I live next to an industrial estate and I was always under the impression that my hifi sounded better at night. No I honestly can't hear the difference, so maybe this is having an effect.

It's also interesting to note that it's only different when I use my old cdplayer as a source. Using another source such as a portable or computer makes no difference so I guess I can attribute the change to dodgy filtering in the CD player, although I'm not going to rule out placebo despite my initial thoughts of what a mains filter would do.

Maybe a shiny mains cable should be next ... nah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)