My comparison between Westone UM3X and Westone 4R
Feb 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 43
reshelling um3x is a hit or miss. Some people had good results, some found that it sounded worse compared to apple ibuds.. I'm tempted to reshell too but once you do it and if it doesn't turn out right, theres no going back..

Quote:

Oh my. I am actually stuck between reshelling my um3x or to move on to other universals (westone4r esp.)!
Now that I've seen your thread, I am so much more tempted to reshell! ><

Oh yes. It rocks with the Cowon J3. :D

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #17 of 43
I think I will hope for the best. :/ 
There are some slight issues with the wire connection so my only choice is either to sell them or to reshell them.
I don't see reviews on reshelled um3x though. Is it a rare case to reshell the um3x?

Quote:
reshelling um3x is a hit or miss. Some people had good results, some found that it sounded worse compared to apple ibuds.. I'm tempted to reshell too but once you do it and if it doesn't turn out right, theres no going back..

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #18 of 43
Same feedback as the OP: while I feel W4 is better on paper, sound-wise the UM3X is the better IEM. The latter just makes you feel being part of the music; I really don't see the narrow left-right soundstage as a big letdown since front-back imaging is, IMHO, among the best, if not the best, among universal multiple-BA driver IEMs. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 43
i wouldn't say rare, there are a plenty of people who have done it before. I looked up the UM group and there are members who have reshelled it. I guess I would say "it not as desirable" to reshell um3x since there is a large chance of losing the sound signature. However since you have a wire issue, you have nothing to lose so your best choice and most feasible choice would be to reshell it.

Quote:
I think I will hope for the best. :/ 
There are some slight issues with the wire connection so my only choice is either to sell them or to reshell them.
I don't see reviews on reshelled um3x though. Is it a rare case to reshell the um3x?

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 43
I too found UM3X far better than the W4.

It actually seemed as if W4 were to have come out first, then UM3X, that many would have heard UM3X as a much improved W4.

I find them both similar in that ther are both very smooth and refined sounding but UM3X just seems a bit for lively and dynamic (not as flat).

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #21 of 43
I've had Westone 3, Shure SE420, Shure SE530 and Westone UM3x and the latter depicts the timbre of the instruments (and separates them) in a way thay none of the other is capable of.

e.g. On the UM3x acoustic guitars sound very life like with all the weight and grit that they have live.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 43

Quote:
I'm curious to hear your direct comparison between the UM3X and W4 uncle b!

Well, my tune has changed! Upon receiving my W4 back from Westone (replaced under warranty, only two months old), I can honestly say the W4 are really great earphones, if a slightly more "mature" sound than the UM3X. I think I may have purchased a somewhat defective pair of W4. That first pair did not sound right from the time I got them. If you refer back to my original post, you will see that I have owned Westone UM2, W3, now the W4, and also the UM3X. Each pair, upon purchase sounded good, but only got better over time. The first pair of W4 were not impressive from the start and pretty much stayed that way. This new pair is great, I sense a nice soundstage, nice separation with instrumentation, and a nice full sound, if a little laid back. The UM3X will stay with me, and their sound (a little faster, a little more in-your-face, and bass-ier-ish) will have a place in my music and ears. Westone comes through again.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 43
That's exactly what my thoughts too, except I think my Westone 4 has more bass extension than the UM3x. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Well, my tune has changed! Upon receiving my W4 back from Westone (replaced under warranty, only two months old), I can honestly say the W4 are really great earphones, if a slightly more "mature" sound than the UM3X. I think I may have purchased a somewhat defective pair of W4. That first pair did not sound right from the time I got them. If you refer back to my original post, you will see that I have owned Westone UM2, W3, now the W4, and also the UM3X. Each pair, upon purchase sounded good, but only got better over time. The first pair of W4 were not impressive from the start and pretty much stayed that way. This new pair is great, I sense a nice soundstage, nice separation with instrumentation, and a nice full sound, if a little laid back. The UM3X will stay with me, and their sound (a little faster, a little more in-your-face, and bass-ier-ish) will have a place in my music and ears. Westone comes through again.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
I must be the odd one out here. I had the UM3x (removable cable) for more than 2 years, love them, use them everywhere for commuting, working out etc and totally love the sound signature, and still do. I had the Westone 4 for over a year now, don't use them out door as I'm worried that I might damage the cable using it rough. But everytime I put the Westone 4 on, they just give me so much more details than the UM3x, and even though their sound signatures are quite similar, The 4 is a little bit more neutral and flat. Now I'm tempted to get a pair of Westone 4R so I can use them anywhere. I have to say though, the 3x have longer sound tubes and seem to fit into my ears more secured than the 4, and have better sound isolation, maybe the reason why some don't like the 4s here is because of that. Sometimes a bad fitting can change the sound signature and I've heard some members here complaining about the Westone series having shorter sound tubes than the UM series and that they couldn't get a good seal with them. Just my 2 cents. 
wink.gif

I have both of them in my possession, and my opinion is that 4Rs are far more superior in SQ and comfort. UM3x has the good sound. 4Rs sound is much deeper and clearer, at least to my ears.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 43

Quote:

You could always just send them back to Westone to be recabled.

If they're out of warranty they'll only charge you a small fee for the repair and return postage.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 43
Then which would you guys say would be a better choice for country music, classical, acoustic/vocal music and typical pop? And sometimes club/chillstep music. I don't listen to much rock or metal, at all even. 

I've tried both the w4 and um3x and i feel just a little bit more impressed with the um3x in general, from dubstep to two steps from hell to sugarland to passenger and train.. But that said, the w4 is extremely impressive on its own already. I've read so many w4 vs um3x threads but i'm still not getting swayed to either side unfortunately, on the contrary, might be confusing me even more.

I can definitely tell that the w4 has much greater soundstage, its more spacious for sure, which is good for classical. Its very balanced, mellow and seems to have it all but the sound feels somewhat withheld. Like the w4 is holding back...
But for acoustic? That's when i feel the "in-you-face" sound the um3x gives is better. it's sharper, clearer, more detailed, and i can definitely hear the instrumental separation. But can feel empty at times. So i'm being torn between all the different pros and cons of the two.

So the problem i have now deciding is this. Which is the better investment. w4/w4r came out later than the um3x and is pricier (a hundred more or so), so does that make it the better investment? I'm spending so much money on this upgrade from my ie8s... i really gotta get it right with no regrets. :S

Any help/advice here for my specific music choices guys?

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #27 of 43
I had the um3x rc a few months ago but i just could not get into them.  They had a little too much bass that to me overpowered the other frequencies.  The quality of the music was there but the sig was just not my cup of tea.  I just recieved my westone 4r on monday and have been enjoying them ever since i put them in my ears.  I use the shure olives and a monster regular medium tip+ shure olive core.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #28 of 43
I tried UM3X first and then W4.  W4 is a clear step up from UM3X for my taste. UM3X has too much bass and it sounds quite inorganic imo. Although UM3X mids are extremely forward, it sounds veiled compared W4. There seems to be significantly more clarity with W4. I don't even want to talk about UM3X vs W4 soundstage. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:
Then which would you guys say would be a better choice for country music, classical, acoustic/vocal music and typical pop? And sometimes club/chillstep music. I don't listen to much rock or metal, at all even. 

I've tried both the w4 and um3x and i feel just a little bit more impressed with the um3x in general, from dubstep to two steps from hell to sugarland to passenger and train.. But that said, the w4 is extremely impressive on its own already. I've read so many w4 vs um3x threads but i'm still not getting swayed to either side unfortunately, on the contrary, might be confusing me even more.

I can definitely tell that the w4 has much greater soundstage, its more spacious for sure, which is good for classical. Its very balanced, mellow and seems to have it all but the sound feels somewhat withheld. Like the w4 is holding back...
But for acoustic? That's when i feel the "in-you-face" sound the um3x gives is better. it's sharper, clearer, more detailed, and i can definitely hear the instrumental separation. But can feel empty at times. So i'm being torn between all the different pros and cons of the two.

So the problem i have now deciding is this. Which is the better investment. w4/w4r came out later than the um3x and is pricier (a hundred more or so), so does that make it the better investment? I'm spending so much money on this upgrade from my ie8s... i really gotta get it right with no regrets. :S

Any help/advice here for my specific music choices guys?

For classical I would definitely go for W4. Generally W4 fits every genre.
Bare in mind that UM3X has more bass impact than W4, but it doesn't mean that W4 is lack of bass. The bass is there, but for my ear it is much deeper and well controlled, thus the 'Punch' factor is not there.

For instrument seperation/soundstage/clarity wise, W4 is a head up than UM3X.
You might want you W4 to be paired with better DAP Source.
With iBasso DX100, I chose W4 without any doubts.

From technical side, W4 might seems not need amp, but for my ear, pair it with amp make it sounds better.
Gain setting would also bring the performer nearer to you, in other word it sounds like narrower soundstage, but vocals and impacts would become better.
Rock/pop music does not need too much soundstage anyway.

W4 is also quite depending on the tips you use. (due to the short nozzle i guess?)
My best choice is Shure Olives (M size), followed by stock comply foam tips (Short size). 

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #30 of 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back