My CD Order: Comments, Opinions?
May 6, 2002 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ob3ron

100+ Head-Fier
Well folks, I've managed to come into a bit of money for the summer, so I figure I ought to update my paltry collection of CDs (which consists of 10 or so right now) and foremost, expand my musical horizons, as this is my firist real foray into jazz and classical
cool.gif
. Now I realize it would have made more sense to ask for comments / opinions about what I have on order, before I ordered, but what can I say, I'm an anxious teen with a bit of money
tongue.gif
So on to the list! (in no particular order)

1. Michel Camilo - Trianglio (Telarc CD-83549)
2. Marcus Miller - M2 (Telarc CD-83534)
3. Jacques Loussier Trio - Baroque Favorites (Telarc CD-83516)
4. Al Di Meola - The Grande Passion (Telarc CD-83481)
5. Erich Kunzel/ Cincinnati Pops Orchestra/ Kiev Symphony Orchestra - Tchaikovsky: 1812 (Telarc CD-80541)
6. Michael Murray - An Organ Blaster: The Best of Michael Murray (Telarc CD-80277)
7. Loreena McKennitt - Mask & Mirror

I chose the first 6 CDs based on what I sampled in mp3 from the Telarc Digital Downloads and also what I sampled in RealAudio on each album's respective url. Needless to say, I was quite impresed by the music
biggrin.gif
. Mask & Mirror (not of Telarc) will soon become my second Loreena McKennitt CD (second to Book of Secrets which I totally love).

So, to tide me over 'till May 22nd, the day I get paid and get my order, I'd love to hear any thoughts or comments about any of the artists or albums mentionned above
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 10
Man, don't even bother opening the package up and just send it to someone you don't know as a late Christmas present.

Oh wait, we haven't met! I'll pm you an introduction
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Mask And Mirror is absolutely terrific. very very good album!

the others I haven't heard of tho.

May 7, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 10
I know very little about your order except for the Al Di and the Loreena McK.

Al Di --
icon14.gif

Loreena -- it's a really good album, but it does not have the version of Mummer's Dance that you're probably familiar with. I think you can get that on single for about US$3, though. So just try to forgive her. She really didn't plan on ripping off her fans, so she sold the single for real cheap.

May 7, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Mask And Mirror is absolutely terrific. very very good album!

I've heard this from several people now Braver
tongue.gif
Would you say its very very good along the same lines The Book of Secrets, if you've heard it? I love this album and have heard that M&M is good in the same way that TBoS is!

Quote:

Al Di -- thumbs up

From the 3 mp3s of his on the telarc downloads pages, I'll have to agree with you on that !

Quote:

but it does not have the version of Mummer's Dance that you're probably familiar with.

The only "Mummer's Dance" that I know is the one from TBoS...

Oh and hehe an aside... from TBoS insert about "Mummer's Dance" Quote:

January 1, 1985, Stratford: I have just read an account of a mumming troupe troupe which boarded a Polish ship stranded in the harbour in St.John's, Newfoundland, on New Year's Ever, to entertain the sailors.

St.John's = my home town
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Loreena
"mask" hard to argue that this is not her best CD, but "visit" is very close and should be next purchase. "book secrets" CD which contains mummer dance track is good but is put in the shade by two CDs mentioned above.

May 7, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 10
well, my dad has a couple of her albums, but the Mask gets the most play time, and it's the one I borrow the most. it has such a great folk atmosphere!

May 7, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

mask" hard to argue that this is not her best CD, but "visit" is very close and should be next purchase. "book secrets" CD which contains mummer dance track is good but is put in the shade by two CDs mentioned above.

Strangely I don't really like "The Visit"
eek.gif
but am totally bananas over TBoS! If M&M tops TBoS by much, I'll be foreced to spend the rest of my life listening it on loop
smily_headphones1.gif
erggg!! This is gonna be one helluva long two weeks wait
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back