My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Feb 7, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #316 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else tried the tinfoil turkey neck mod yet?

You might also be able to kick your mod up a notch, Reynolds foil makes a heavy duty foil thats at least twice as thick
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #317 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a newb here just putting together their first decent setup which includes increasing the output quality through better interconnects and power cords, this thread is very interesting. Power cable parts and build quality (other then purely looks) I have no idea about as I am no expert. I was looking more at cheap upgrade over stock power cables around $40-50 shipped such as Iron-lung Jellyfish and Sonikleer. Nothing past that price range really, like these VD Power 3 cables.

A few people are stating that its nothing more then placebo effect for these fancy power cables having any effect on sound quality while others say there is definately a noticable difference. It may not be a night and day difference but who would refuse any improvement regardless of said cost of cable.

Going by what some people in this thread mention, it's very interesting reading that a well regarded company is selling a cable at a $150 mark at which value seems to be simply pulled out of the air, no matter how low cost the sum of the parts with the total amount of labor and craftmanship factored in.

After reading through every post in this thread (yes I did O_o ), I just walk away wanting nothing to do with VD in the future. This personally has nothing to do with supposed shoddy craftmanship issue or not getting what people pay far (which I really have no say about either) but mainly has to do with the customer service. Besides attacking some of the nay sayers (though some of the nay sayers did attack repeatedly but no company should retaliate anyways), they seem to not even know what they are building. VD have flat out ignored answering any comments about the UL issue which is a completely valid argument for a would be customer interested in wanting gauranteed safety in use, and they also seem to have also misstated what actually goes into the cable. They didn't answer anyone questioning their craftmanship quality. All VD did was post pictures of individual component parts and a clean work stations (with no explainations) as if that will explain the craftmanship issues dealing with the OP's cables (which he clearly explained what his issues are). None of those pictures show any stages of build of the Power 3 cable.

Hopefully VD resolves the questions with actually explainations and not random pictures. A company with 6 years of supposed well regarded service for a niche market should have more to say then nothing.

On a lighter note, I would like to say two things. A quick thankyou to Markl in his time consuming and expensive endeavor on reviewing a ton of costly aftermarket power cables. His review is a good read and has great credibility in the fact a more expensive power cable over stock can affect the audio chain and is not just possibly placebo effect. The other thing I'd like to say is this thread has read like a WWF wrestling match, some parts tag team and some parts cage match.
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

This is an excellent post. Acoustic Chef, you can quit directing nonsense at me (then editing your posts after I reply), and focus on giving back some real replies. You can save face here.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #319 of 773
I have been following this thread and I am not a cable skeptic. I have noticed differences in my, admittedly cheap, system by just switching ICs. I don't have a non-portable amp so I can't say if power cables make any difference as I have not used them but I can say that I completely agree with the post by RAQemUP. The way that people bringing up legitimate questions about the cable and have just been attacked by VD is absurd. On another note, and this is just a personal pet peeve, the VD customer service representative might want to learn how to spell or at least use a spell checker. Maybe if words were spelled correctly people would be more inclined to listen.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #320 of 773
I have to say RAQ kinda echoes my sentiments, as a new comer to this hobby enjoying all the different noise signatures that the different amps and ic's etc bring to the table, it would have been encouraging to see a real engagement with the op's concerns and questions as opposed what degenerated into quite frankly, nothing more than a pissing contest.

VD'S rep here, whether the owner, or an employee has probably done untold damage to that company, but to be fair, the pics in the first post would have done the most.

As it is, my search for reputable and reasonable companies to do business with (read: give my money too) has just been made that little bit easier with the demonstration of company practice and policy by VD in this thread.

It has been pretty shocking to witness actually, especially when you "expect" companies to engage with the questions and concerns of it's customers, both present and potential.

Infact, tbh, it would be nice to see if thing can be moved forward with increased communication and a sincerity to deal with the issues raised in a sensible and mature fashion.

I am also aware that perhaps I may be deemed a little naive for hoping tat could be a possibility

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #321 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few people are stating that its nothing more then placebo effect for these fancy power cables having any effect on sound quality while others say there is definately a noticable difference. It may not be a night and day difference but who would refuse any improvement regardless of said cost of cable.

Raising my hand.

Thirty years in the hobby, twenty in post production sound. Power cables, if they are constructed reasonably well, make no difference to the sound. The cable that came with your amp sounds exactly the same as the one that costs thousands.

As a newbie just putting together your first system, I can give you plenty of advice on how to get great sound. But it takes thinking things through. You can't just buy great sound with money. The most expensive equipment in the world, applied poorly will sound like crap. Likewise, an inexpensive system that has been put together with thought and skill will sound great.

You have to use your ears AND your brain.

See ya
Steve

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #323 of 773
He has to own the company. No employer would allow that sort of unprofessionalism unless it was them.

See ya
Steve

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #324 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
https://www.virtualdynamics.ca/content.php?id=254

That "scientific test" has been torn apart numerous times. Will you ever stop citing it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He has to own the company. No employer would allow that sort of unprofessionalism unless it was them.

See ya
Steve

As far as I know, he doesn't. I do recall him posting about getting one of their power cables for free to review, elsewhere, then a few months later his location was changed from Ottawa to Barrhead and he became VD's rep here.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #327 of 773
hciman,

Your analysis is spot on. Again, I am not debating whether or not cables have different sound signatures, etc. However, companies are expected to have competent and reliable data to substantiate their advertising claims, and VD has not yet supplied such information.

The broader question, of course, is how many cable companies would be able to provide adequate substantiation for their claims? My guess is not a lot. How they avoid challenges or enforcement actions is a mystery to me.

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #329 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2) Qualifications of of the Supervisor (not an EE), no offence but does this guy have sufficient expertise to supervise this project ?

If the researchers don't know why they can't capture a 10 KHz square wave with a sound card, I don't think they are qualified to publish any technical report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back