My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Feb 5, 2008 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 773

Akathisia

500+ Head-Fier
My cat decided that the techflex covering of my free Power 3 would make a nice scratching post, so I decided to remove all the techflex and just leave the bare tubing below.

Well I removed the techflex and was a bit disappointed at the build quality, so I Googled a few things.

I found out it's made from :

1. 1 Schurter 10 amp IEC - $5
2. 1 Hubbell 15a 3 prong plug - $5
3. 6 feet of Black, Green and White 14g THHN 600v Building Wire - ~$0.30 /foot = $1.80
4. 6 feet of clear braided garden hose - ~$0.50/foot = $3
5. ~1 pound of ferrous metal powder - can't find a price, I'm sure it's dirt cheap
6. a stick of hot glue - the Hubbell connector had a hole drilled in it and was filled with hot glue, the female end was just glued to the hose.
7. Approx. 6 inches of electrical tape
8. Large size heatshrink
9. Techflex

(These are first hit prices from my Google results. I'm sure if you had a business license and bought in bulk, these prices would swandive)

I paid Acoustic Chef $20 for shipping on my 'free' Power 3. I now feel like I paid for VD to build me a power 3.Thanks Acoustic Chef, at least I received an education on marketing for the $20.

I have more confidence in the power cord that came with my pc over this thing, heaven forbid it had a split in the pvc covering of one of the wires, I'm sure an electrical arc through that metal powder would be harmless...

Edit: Sorry for the poor lighting in these pics, I've never claimed photography as a hobby:

First here's my cat Virgil getting ready to pounce on something (sorry, found this on my girlfriends camera) :

DSC00008.jpg

Here's all the pieces:

DSC00087.jpg

The Hubbel connector :
DSC00089.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

The Schurter connector:
DSC00092.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

Garden Hose:
DSC00090.jpg

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 773
Quote:

My cat decided that the techflex covering of my free Power 3 would make a nice scratching post, so I decided to remove all the techflex and just leave the bare tubing below.

Well I removed the techflex and was a bit disappointed at the build quality, so I Googled a few things.

I found out it's made from :

1. 1 Schurter 10 amp IEC - $5
2. 1 Hubbell 15a 3 prong plug - $5
3. 6 feet of Black, Green and White 14g THHN 600v Building Wire - ~$0.30 /foot = $1.80
4. 6 feet of clear braided garden hose - ~$0.50/foot = $3
5. ~1 pound of ferrous metal powder - can't find a price, I'm sure it's dirt cheap
6. a stick of hot glue - the Hubbell connector had a hole drilled in it and was filled with hot glue, the female end was just glued to the hose.
7. Approx. 6 inches of electrical tape
8. Large size heatshrink
9. Techflex

(These are first hit prices from my Google results. I'm sure if you had a business license and bought in bulk, these prices would swandive)

I paid Acoustic Chef $20 for shipping on my 'free' Power 3. I now feel like I paid for VD to build me a power 3.Thanks Acoustic Chef, at least I received an education on marketing for the $20.

I have more confidence in the power cord that came with my pc over this thing, heaven forbid it had a split in the pvc covering of one of the wires, I'm sure an electrical arc through that metal powder would be harmless...

Interesting... can we see pics?

Out of curiosity, what was your opinion on this cable before your cat got involved? Please provide a link if you've already posted this in another thread.

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i too would like to see some pictures

I have one VD sent me, thought it was quite generous of him to send it.

I would advise against taking apart a cable from ALO, you may suffer a shock attack
smily_headphones1.gif

Gee thanks buddy, after I read the first post, I almost spilled my drink and thanks to yours, what wasn't spilled is now up my nose!

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 773
I don't know... when you look at the material costs, it seems one sided, but when you factor in labour, marketing, R&D, market demand, and other business costs (as you would if you were seriously trying to keep a business running), it doesn't seem so bad. I just looked up the price on this cable and it's $152.50 without any middle-man mark-up. For some people it's worth it to not have to DIY it.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love your cat btw

Haha thanks. He feels like a rock star now that he's on the internet
icon10.gif

Anyway, I just checked on Virtual Dynamics' website, and it states that the Power 3 uses "LiniPur Conductors". LiniPur can also be called :

E70347 F 14 AWG 12.08MM THHN or THHN-2 Copper Wire

12 and 14 Gauge THHN House Wire Product Info and Reviews | DoItYourself.com

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know... when you look at the material costs, it seems one sided, but when you factor in labour, marketing, R&D, market demand, and other business costs (as you would if you were seriously trying to keep a business running), it doesn't seem so bad. I just looked up the price on this cable and it's $152.50 without any middle-man mark-up. For some people it's worth it to not have to DIY it.

I understand all of the difficulties of running a small niche business. But, that doesn't excuse lying and shoddy craftsmanship (see smashed wire in the Schurter connector as an example).

Like I said. I feel much safer now that my computer is plugged back into the wall with molded power cable.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 773
Yes, please delete the truth admins. Good god this is funny. Yeah, it makes a HUGE difference in sound considering its the same crap thats in the walls. On top of that, they are outright lying about their product, LiniPur conductors... I guess they don't expect anyone to cut open their expensive cable. Just goes to show you how Virtual Dynamics and other similar companies sell snake oil and rely on the gullibility of audiophiles and their unprecedented susceptibility to placebo.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel this thread is about to get deleted
tongue.gif
but it does make me feel good about having plans to build my own power cord.

I don't see why this thread should get deleted. It's all factual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back