My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Feb 10, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #451 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it does. DBT discussions have shown a history of tearing down a thread and causing huge fights.
It's a rule that we need to follow or else post elsewhere.

Huge fights are the result of people who don't respect each other and who are incapable of engaging in an intelligent discussion without resorting to invective and personal attacks. Head-Fi's terms of use already address this sort of behavior:

Quote:

"Be polite. We encourage debating -- even heated debating -- in the forums, but avoid defamatory statements, personal attacks, racial slurs, name-calling, and cursing at others in the forums."

That is the rule that should be enforced.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #452 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it does. DBT discussions have shown a history of tearing down a thread and causing huge fights.
It's a rule that we need to follow or else post elsewhere.

Im sure, because cable believers tend to violently defend their cases with absolutely no factual evidence. So they just tell us, "If you listen to it, you'd know what I was saying". How can I reply to that? DBT would be ideal, but I can't use that. It kind of unbalances the playing field. Then when we want to argue the science of it, they just say, "Well thats what I'm hearing, the best piece of measuring equipment is your ear." (Acoustic Chef said something to this effect in a PM to me). They just ignore the obvious fact that they are completely wrong in this respect, as measuring equipment is thousands of times more sensitive than the human ear. Then they cite some obscure properties of conductors like skin effect and the like, disregarding the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the audible frequency range. Though it may make slight differences to the whole picture, these differences are inaudible, regardless of how good you think your hearing is. The list goes on and on. I always wonder why everyone perceives the same differences whenever they buy some uber-cable. Just about everyone claims "tighter bass" and "blacker background" and improved "detail" because thats what they expect from hearing what everyone else has said about a cable. Then good old Mr. Placebo kicks in. Of course I could rant all day, but it is inevitably futile, because common sense takes a back seat to subjectivity when it comes to cables.

All this bickering can be solved with DBT. Because they are irrefutable when correctly practiced.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #453 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huge fights are the result of people who don't respect each other and who are incapable of engaging in an intelligent discussion without resorting to invective and personal attacks.

I've found that those sorts of people are just as likely to misbehave with other subjects as they are discussions of testing methodology.

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #454 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure that SPDIFsucks.com is a branch of a peer reviewed audio journal and as such is above reproach!

See ya
Steve

I'm sure you clock your studio equipment from S/PDIF, don't you Steve
rolleyes.gif
No bitclocks or the like?

Regarding your irreproachable AES testing, some searching over on audioasylum will yield somewhat differing views of the AES and its validity as a scientific organization, from long-time members of the AES such as John Curl, Charles Hansen and the like. This one was rather enlightening, but there are pages and pages of hits.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #455 of 773
Quote:

Why can someone mention their own informal test results, but they can't cite more carefully done tests? I understand why discussion of the methodology of DBT is a trouble spot. Some people can't resist grinding discussions of methodology into the ground. But citing the results of blind listening tests is just as valid as citing the results of lab measurements or citing the results of sighted A/B comparisons in the home.

It should be fine to refer to a controlled test as a "controlled test" and not debate the fine points of methodology.

See ya
Steve

IMO a DBT is a more real approach that to come here and tell us that you remember how a power cord sounded a month ago, without trying it again in a month, or tell us that this cable is more transparent than this other based in an audition a year ago....Hearing memory can not be paralell, you can not hear two things at the same time, as logic indicates, and as with other human senses, that can not be used that way, our brain is real bad with this kind of "serial memories".
See a guy now, and with no reference see another guy, and later on tell me which is taller? Taste one sweet now, and the next day try another, and tell me which is sweeter...Now see both guys togeter, try both sweets one after he other, and see how easier it will be, same happen in audio...span memory for audio is short, and on top you can't compare simultaneusly, the best you can do is a click of a switch...as most of the DBT do...

We have discussions here every day, for any reason, DBT was IMO a bad choice to remove...

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #456 of 773
That was a joke, Pars.

I've never been to audio asylum, so I don't know what sort of site it is. Are there a lot of pros there?

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #457 of 773
Quote:

That was a joke, Pars.

I've never been to audio asylum, so I don't know what sort of site it is. Are there a lot of pros there?

See ya
Steve

You wouldn't like it. It's a bunch of shills.

but in case you don't believe me:

Audio Asylum

lol.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #458 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wouldn't like it. It's a bunch of shills.

but in case you don't believe me:

Audio Asylum

lol.

Just like any forum, you have to weed thru alot of BS (Mr. Kait, of Machina Dynamica ermmm, fame? as in your link, among others). But, people like John Curl, Charles Hansen, etc. do post there as well. YMMV.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #459 of 773
Your not a Beltist? Look up May Belt and read some of that over on the Asylum. All you have to do is tie a square knot in any cable and you sound improves. Put a Blue card under one corner of your speaker or something like that and your sound improves. Freeze one of your pictures and place in in your room improves your sound.

This is the type of stuff you find in the Propeller-Headforum in the Asylum for example. Makes for some great reading.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #460 of 773
The sand blasting material that was spoken of by Rick, or Matt...I can't remember. Could it be Carborundum? Is this the mystery stuff they use in the garden hose around the wire?

Interesting stuff. Acoustic Revive uses green Carborundum as an absorbing material of an electro-magnetic wave. They claim:

"it can reduce noise generated from a receptacle, an inlet and internal wiring that have been a blind spot in the power strip."

http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=4040

I think the above is missing something in the translation? Anyway, Carborundum is also used in sand blasting. Tesla experimented with (SiC) Carborundum.

Silicon carbide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #461 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"it can reduce noise generated from a receptacle, an inlet and internal wiring that have been a blind spot in the power strip."

I'm wondering what a "blind spot in the power strip" is exactly, and what does it sound like?
biggrin.gif

--Chris

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #462 of 773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back