My brand-new, old style DT 880's
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kapkirk

New Head-Fier
The package arrived today. Had to wait to get the kids to bed for some quality time to my self here.

Opened the package, slid the aluminum box out of the sleeve. Ahhhhh, German headphone goodness.
biggrin.gif

Unwrapped the cord, adjusted the headstrap, inspected the brand-new phones, savoring each moment, giddy with anticipation. Started up the CD, adjusted the postioning for optimal spacial tone, here we go.....

First CD was Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros- Global A Go-Go.

All I can say is,"Holy !@#$!, I think I just had an eargasm."
tongue.gif

Out of the fine aluminum box, they are by far the best headphone I've owned, period.

What an amazing experience. Things I've never hear were popping though. Good highs, solid mids, and the bass response is amazing.

Moved on to a little Marley, Coltrane, Damned, Dead Can Dance. Wow!

I know I've got many hours of listening to 'break 'em in'. But I'm listening all the way through. I want to experience each minute of these headphones.

And comfortable, unbelievably comfy. They melt off of your ears, its like they are not even there.

I know there is more to experience out there, but this is the most fun one can have with their clothes on. Life is good.

Back to listening....Thanks all for the great information.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 20
What's your source and amp?

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 20
Congratulations on your new headphones and welcome to Team Beyer!

If you love them out of the box, it's only going to get better the more you listen to them. It took me a couple weeks of listening before I really started to appreciate how amazing they are. Wait until you take them on their trial run for gaming, their soundstage is killer for multiplayer games.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 20
THey are one of my favorite pairs of headphones. Congrats. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 20
Ditto... congratulations, and enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 20
Did you get the coiled cord or the straight?

They're wonderful cans, make me feel like I'm a concert hall!

Edit: That's IN a concert hall, I don't feel like I am, in fact, a concert hall when I wear them.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
Did you get the coiled cord or the straight?

They're wonderful cans, make me feel like I'm a concert hall!

Edit: That's IN a concert hall, I don't feel like I am, in fact, a concert hall when I wear them.

That's the same way my DT880s make me feel. They have this certain aspect which makes you believe you are at a live presentation.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 20
Cyrillix,

My source last night was an old JVC MX-55 M compact system.

I tried running them through my Nvidia 2 based compter off of the headphone out on my Klipsch THX 4.1 speakers, but it was considerably weaker than the JVC system. So I just stuck with that.

I'm going to run them through my old Kenwood KA-129 receiver and LG DVD 413 player tonight for a comparison.

Tomorrow, I will run them through my home theatre set up for the last test.

I know an amp is in my future. I posted on the wrong thread a couple of weeks ago about some of my possible selections.

Purgatos,

I ended up with the straight cord and a very nice extension cable also.

When I'm ready to take that plunge I will either try an old Meier HA-1, Headroom micro. Not sure yet. This place is dangerous to cash flow. LOL
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
That's the same way my DT880s make me feel. They have this certain aspect which makes you believe you are at a live presentation.

Indeed they do. The first time I heard this, I was listening to some very well recorded classical through a Sony D-33 vintage PCDP and Go-Vibe amp!! My eyes were closed... the gear "vanished" and I was sitting in the audience.

Believe me, any headphone that can perform at that level with cheap gear (imagine what it could do with high end stuff) has my undying affections
wink.gif

The amazing comfort certainly helps. Senn HD580/600 never let me forget I was wearing headphones.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 20
I would love to try the Stax Omega IIs to see if they have that same feeling.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapkirk
I know an amp is in my future.

Your DT880s sound great without an amp? Man, the one thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on the DT880/990 was the alleged necessity of an amp. I'd have been driving them with my DAP (iRiver H140). Once the tax return comes in, though, I'll probably end up getting the DT880s and a small portable amp.

To the amp people, will a Xin Supermini III power the DT880s to their full potential? How about a PA2v2?

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by boss
Your DT880s sound great without an amp? Man, the one thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on the DT880/990 was the alleged necessity of an amp. I'd have been driving them with my DAP (iRiver H140). Once the tax return comes in, though, I'll probably end up getting the DT880s and a small portable amp.

To the amp people, will a Xin Supermini III power the DT880s to their full potential? How about a PA2v2?

I think my DT880s sound great without an amp, although they will probably sound much greater with an amp. Since I've never had one -- I wouldn't know.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 20
RNB180,

Lost track of this thread, sorry for the late reply.

I got them from Inetdistributors on Ebay. I was hesitant, but everything worked out perfect. I would buy from them again.

They also had DT770/250's for $149. Everything was about $20 cheaper than B&H after shipping and all. I was going to buy from B&H, but they sold out of the old style, twice.
basshead.gif

I noticed their price went up like $15 dollars on the stuff they had right after the auction ended and they relisted the various items. So you may want to watch the prices and wait.

Then again, I couldn't...
eggosmile.gif

We need a DT880 smiley.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 20
Boss,

I wouldn't try to drive these with a small source.

My computer set up with the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 are hard pressed to do the job. Corda HA-1 IS in my future.

When I ran them through my 15 year old KA-129 and the LG DVD, unbelievable. Listened to Concrete Blonde- Mexican Moon and heard a brand new album. There is a part where they sample Jim Jones on the 'Jonestown' track that is absolutely haunting. The mix of the whole album is clearly defined. I can even hear the double-tracking harmonizing clearly and can pick up the starts and stops. That album just became my favorite again.

I'm hearing good things about the PA2V2 have read some good things.

Check out the Amp forum, there are other discussions going on there specific to that and other affordable mini amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back