My brand new JMT CMOY isn't working! Help me!
Aug 30, 2002 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
Can somebody help me troubleshoot my problem?

I don't know when I will be able to contact JMT, he tends to only drop by every couple of days, so here's my problem.

Denon UD-M30 Line Out ---> Outlaw PCA ---> RCA jacks on CMOY ---> ER-4P

I turn on the amplifier (it is connected to a walwart), the LED turns on, I push play, but I hear nothing! JMT mentioned something about the polarity of the walwart, I am sure I have it correct, because I read the instructions on the walwart packaging. What else could it be? Does anyone else have a Denon UD-M30, is my lineout busted?
confused.gif

JMT mentioned something about frying the OP amps if I got the polarity around the wrong way - I hope that isn't what I have done here...

Aug 30, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm using the RCA input. Is this what you mean? I'm also using the Walwart plug for power. When I plug my headphones in, I hear a crackle, but nothing else.
frown.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 19
Mine doesn't have a battery clip.
frown.gif
Though I don't think that it is a power related problem, as the LED lights up.

And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what plug " I am using to power the amplifier. I am using the only size that will fit.

It can't be DOA, as I know that JMT tested it before shipping.

There was a sticker on the box which said that the package had been opened and inspected by Customs - I'm just hoping that they didn't try and use it with the wrong Walwart or an AC power supply. I doubt they would do this, right?

frown.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 19
HM

Sorry I haven't been to frequent here, I am away on business and have limited time to access Head-Fi. I responded to your PM, but it sounds like the op-amps are toast. Check your PM out and respond. I will be away for the 3 day weekend as well.
Quote:

I'm just hoping that they didn't try and use it with the wrong Walwart or an AC power supply. I doubt they would do this, right?

It is possible.

Aug 31, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 19
I've responded to the PM Jon. Thanks from the prompt reply.

I am thinking that Customs is being pretty careful these days with packages to and from the US, and headphone amplifiers aren't the most innocent looking things. The only thing is, if they did connect it to an unsuitable PS, what proof have I got? Looks like I am screwed either way.

Aug 31, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 19
Well when you add it all up, it's going to get pretty expensive:

Ship to JMT = $15US
Replacement Parts = $10US - $15US (estimate)
Ship to HappymaN = $15US

Total = $45US which is nearly 100AUD for me.

Expensive hobby. It is a complication that I really didn't need financially.

Looks like my quest has taken a step back...
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 19
Well, actually if the opamps are socketed, you can replace them with a small screwdriver and some care. Just lever the old ones out and stick the new ones in (making sure to line up the little mark on the top of the new one with the mark in the socket)...

Aug 31, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #13 of 19
You've probably already done this, but just to make sure...have you tested to make sure your CDP output is working? If you have another amp, try hooking it up to that. Or if not, do you have another source to try the CMOY with?

Aug 31, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 19
Happyman,
Sorry to hear about your disappointment!
Some Questions:
*What are the specification of the wallmart you were using?
*Can you find the op-amps locally? If not, won't it be less for you
to have JMT ship you the op-amps and have someone locally
install them.
*Have you definitely rulled out interconnects?
*Have you tried opening up the case to see if maybe a wire
broke off of the input/output(s) jack?
*Do you know anyone that is electronically inclined who could
take a look for you?

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
Happyman,
Sorry to hear about your disappointment!
Some Questions:
*What are the specification of the wallmart you were using?
*Can you find the op-amps locally? If not, won't it be less for you
to have JMT ship you the op-amps and have someone locally
install them.
*Have you definitely rulled out interconnects?
*Have you tried opening up the case to see if maybe a wire
broke off of the input/output(s) jack?
*Do you know anyone that is electronically inclined who could
take a look for you?

I'm pretty sure that my Outlaws aren't busted. Problem is, I don't have any other sources to test them out with. Well sources with RCA jacks anyway...

The wallwart is a regulated 12V/1A power supply.

And this is going to sound really pathetic, but I realised today that my family doesn't own a screwdriver.
rolleyes.gif
I just asked my mother, and she can't remember a time in the past 10 years where we have needed one, so we have never really bought one.

I've told my father to buy a screwdriver today, hopefully I can open the case up and check for cold solder joints. But JMT wants me to send it back to him so he can diagnose the problem, and I think that it the best plan of attack (despite the expenses).

Thanks for all your help guys, I might look into checking the wires, but other than that, I think I should leave it to JMT. He told me that all signs are pointing towards friend OP-amps.

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back