My Beyers seem broken.
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mikeg88

Head-Fier
I've had my DT880 pro's since August, and they've begun to clip on me. I have a few tracks with really low bass and sub-bass frequencies (and lots of it!) that were, up until now, totally clean, and punchy. Now they clip, with the EQ flat - even on very moderate volume levels.

I listen through a micro amp portable, through my MacBook's optical out, which has always been really good. None of my setup has been dropped, or damaged in any way I can think of. Also, the problem is not present with my other cans (like my sonys and shures). I tried the same songs on my TBH, with no probs (although, my TBH can't quite power the Beyers).

Maybe someone can try and see if they get the same results I do. A good test track would be "Point Des Arts" by St. Germain (from the album "Tourist").

Is it possible this is some minor issue like a hair that has snuck through the foam, and is touching the driver? If so should I try to disassemble them to get it out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Maybe you should consider buying lots of random, more expensive headphones =).

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 6
I heard of a guy whos 650s rattled and clipped when low bass notes were played, he simply cleaned out the driver by blowing on it and it stopped clipping. Another option is that you may have worn down the usable recharge cycle on the battery. You'll have to check with Headroom but I believe they replace the first battery under warranty.
Kevin

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Something that happens occasionally is a hair manages to stick through the covering material and touches the driver. So, take a look for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back