My audiophile dreams: vanished. Dead. Over for the next 2 years.
Jun 25, 2002 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Well, I was talking to my dad about getting a better amp. Premium Little, MG Head, etc.

I'd buy it with my own earned money, etc. Let's say the answer was a HUGE NO. We got into a big argument, he saying that they are overpriced, and prey on our stupidity.
frown.gif

He says its obscene to spend 3/4 hundred on a HEADPHONE amplifier. . .

Then my mom chimes in, saying how everyone can live with stuff from best buy, circuit city, etc.

Why can't they understand? <sob>

Looks like my only route is the DIY one. Thankfully, he said he can help me build a DIY amp. A meta42 I guess. . .

JUST TWO MORE FRIGGIN YEARS THEN COLLEGE.

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 87
I asked my mother about me being a high-end audiophile. But she just stood there, with no answer. She doesn't care much for anything bought at Best Buy or Circuit City, and she knows nothing about audio.

Well, I guess the answer is "Maybe, depends on your pay and how long you're willing to wait."

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 87
You'll learn more the DIY route anyway. Just try not to skimp on the parts. I would suggest socketing EVERYTHING and trying different opamps and different caps (those these arent really socketable material) and see if he can hear a difference.

This might change his mind but in the end, you may very well end up with an amp you're quite happy with and not want a Max anymore!!

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 87
The thing that stinks. . . why did I bust my ass for the last 2 weeks running around soccer fields reffing, running sound at my high school for 12 hours some days. . . AND FOR WHAT?

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 87
I understand what it's like to have parents who don't understand your interests.

But you know what the best thing is? Once you turn 18, get out, and start supporting yourself, you can do whatever you want. Their house, their rules, unfortunately, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Save your cash, buddy, and use whatever you have spare in building your music collection. You have a very decent setup there, and the music is more important, IMO.

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 87
The worst part? My dad plays golf. Now, I know that I'm in no place to criticize that. He supports our family first AND THEN some before spending money on other stuff. But he just bought $400 irons! He's spent MUCH more money on golf than I have on my system. Hmm, $130 denon + $120 580s. . .

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 87
You're parents don't respect you, and they're very narrow minded. Glad I didn't have that situation. After my mom gave my several rig's a listen, she wanted one for her self! She fully supports it as a hobby as well.

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 87
I don't suppose you've pointed out the $400 golf club example to your dad, have you?

Jun 25, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 87
Yeah, as much as I love giving bad advice, I wouldn't recommend you do that.

Maybe if you show them the Orpheus on sale for $8999 at Headroom they won't object so much to a couple hundred for an amp. Then again, maybe they'll smack you and send you to your room without any supper.

kerelybonto

Jun 25, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 87
I know how you feel, andrzejpw. You have a hobby that you're really into and you really like, right? You feel like your whole life and your enjoyment of life is based almost solely around that hobby right? You can't live without having hi-fi equipment, right? And your parents, stereotypically are "unsympathetic" and "cruelly insensitive," right? I understand what you're feeling, right now. And guess what? They're RIGHT.

You're 16 years old. You have two years of high-school left and you need to focus all your energy on that. After that, you'll have several more years of college, and you'll have to focus on THAT, even if you won't be under your parents' wing anymore. It IS obscene to spend 4-5 hundred dollars on a headphone amp. They ARE overpriced and they ARE preying on our money. This is all truth, not fecal matter sputtering out of your parents (except what your mom said about being able to live on stuff from Best Buy.)

I've been down your road before when I was a teen, and I used to feel like I needed a lot of things. Hey, guess what? I couldn't live without toys, so I NEEDED one of those Transformers action figures! I couldn't live without videogames, so I NEEDED that Super Nintendo! I couldn't live without guitars, so I NEEDED this Fender! My parents busted my balls on all of these things that I truly felt like I NEEDED, but in hindsight, I realize how much I didn't need them. Part of growing up and maturing is about learning that there's WAY more to life than material posessions. You have your priorities screwed up right now, as do many adolescents. It doesn't seem like I or your parents is right, right now, but maybe in the future, you'll realize the truth in what they're saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back