My A500s are borked.
Mar 14, 2006 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Heimdall

New Head-Fier
Yesterday, something terrible happened. My Audio-Technica ATH-A500s broke. I don't know if my giant mountian of a dog (great pyrenees) grabbed them from my desk or what, but I found them lying 4 feet from where I put them with the plug bent about 70 degrees. I bent it back, but to no avail. I plug them into my PC and absolutley nothing happens. No hissing, no nothing.

I bought them from Audio Cubes, but since my wife is obsessive compulsive about cleaning, she threw away the box with warranty card inside, so sending them back to AC isn't an option.
My question is, what do I need to fix these things, where can I get it and how can I install it? Can I simply put on a new plug or will it require more extensive repairs? I'm good with electronics and I'm a kung fu masta with a soldering iron, so install shouldn't be a problem for me.

I'm really strapped for cash now, so I'd have to wait a while before replacing them and going for weeks or months without quality music would drive me insane.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 4
The first thing that you need to try and assess is whether or not the chord really is the problem. Given your description it would sure seem the likely place for sure but you never know, especially since you don't know exactly what happened to them. I don't know much about the A500s but based on pictures I've seen they do not have a detachable chord so troubleshooting is going to be hard unless you're willing to open them up. This also means that you're going to have a bit of a hard time figuring out what wire is for what channel and ground.

So you need to figure out what color wire goes to what and then it's as easy as soldering on the plug of your choice. That'd be where I would start.

Best of luck,

Nate

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Arg.. damn power..

Nate is on the right track.. You need to see if the wires are still attached at the drivers. (this can be done by just changing the plug taken that the cable is not damaged anywhere and see if they work then go from there)

You can get a cheap mini stereo plug from Radioshack for like 4 bucks (it is a cheape one but at a ratshak premium) or you can order from an online company like Digikey or Mouser or MCM (some have minimum orders) and pay for shipping.

As for channels..
Red : Right
Blue : Left
Copper : Ground
(http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=a500)

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to head down to radioshack tomorrow and get a new plug. Hopefully that will fix it, because I have no idea where to even begin trying to open these bastards up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back