My 5G iPod bricked, what can I do?
Oct 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bkchurch

Head-Fier
My fifth generation iPod bricked last week and I've run out of ideas, I'm out of warranty, I'm not gonna pay Apple $130+shipping to fix it, and I can't find any 3rd party firmware that will install on it.

I was just listening to music doing my laundry and it froze, I tried to reset it and it showed me a picture of an iPod with a face on it with x's for eyes and said apple.com/support/ipod underneath their creative little picture. No amount of manual resetting (menu+the middles button) is doing anything, and iTunes won't recognize it's connected to my computer so I can't restore it.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to fix it? Or some kind of 3rd party firmware (because I know they're out there) that I can install on the harddrive? That is assuming it's not the harddrive that **** the bed.

I don't have the money to fix it or buy a new MP3 player so any help would be appreciated.

If I am completely screwed though does anyone at least know of any creative uses for the harddrive inside it assuming it still works?

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had many instances of my 3g iPod freezing and needing to be reset while connected to AC power. I've had no instances of this with my 1g Nano or 5g iPod. Try following the steps in these links below. Hopefully they'll help you out.

http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/ipod_frozen.htm

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

The problem is it's not frozen. When it froze I did the reset thing you linked to (as I've done many times in the past) but instead of coming back to life as it has in the past it just has a picture of a dead iPod with the URL to Apple's support site. I've tried resetting it about 20 more times after that and I get the same result and I can't do a total restore because iTunes won't recognize the iPod is even plugged in.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Is it a hard drive failure?
lem-crashes1.gif

You may want to try the biz card trick. It works for a surprisingly large amount of people.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it a hard drive failure?
lem-crashes1.gif

You may want to try the biz card trick. It works for a surprisingly large amount of people.

No good, I think I still have my old 4G kickin around somewhere so I guess I'll just use that because this thing is dead.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bkchurch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is it's not frozen. When it froze I did the reset thing you linked to (as I've done many times in the past)

Good news and bad news... First the good news- I had the same problem and it was solved by using a different docking cable and following the instructions to restore the iPod to factory condition found on the Apple support site. Now the bad news- if you were having to reset from freezes many times, it may be that your hard drive was dying slowly on you. The errors just weren't serious enough to kill it dead.

Bad hard drive = sell as scrap and buy a new one.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 13
You will also get this problem if the hard drive cable in the unit has come a little loose (it can happen with vibration over time) and a bad connection results. I've seen this quite a few times..

If you want to send it to me, I can check this out for you very quickly at no charge. You will just pay shipping both ways.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 13
If they cannot do something very quick at the Apple Store and nothing has helped that was offered thus far, I would take Vinnie up on the offer. You can definitely trust him. He is the man behind the iMod, so he knows his stuff.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 13
Have you tried the Nintendo Fix (i.e. slam it on a table -- worked for my iPod, at your own risk, etc. etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will also get this problem if the hard drive cable in the unit has come a little loose (it can happen with vibration over time) and a bad connection results. I've seen this quite a few times..

If you want to send it to me, I can check this out for you very quickly at no charge. You will just pay shipping both ways.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Wow, now that's an incredible service.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Best regards,

Vinnie

It does not get any better! Thanks Vinnie, good to see you come to the help of people you have not even sold something too.
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 13
I'd sell it on fleabay and buy another refurb there of the same type. I'll bet your total cost will be 1/2 or less what apple wants to fix it.

If Vinnies' kind offer doesn't appeal to you that is.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back