My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #406 of 510
Yep it is still too expensive, I wish it were not as the Ipod mini is all i use in my office
smily_headphones1.gif
And it could use some more gigs...

I guess the one that waits will see.

I love my mini so much i am almoust thinking of making another
smily_headphones1.gif
But I will wait until the bigger CF cards gets in my range...

/Erik

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #407 of 510
Forgive me for reviving this thread, but it seems that the massive compact flash cards are starting to fall more into the "affordable" range of prices.  I bought a Kingspec 128GB compact flash card for ~$150CAD shipped on eBay (from seller link-delight). It seems to work perfectly in my iPod mini, and for $150 I could manage to convince myself that it was a reasonable price.  =P  

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #408 of 510
Impressive! Great way to extend the life of a great player!

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #409 of 510
An I still use mine in the Office, it is really a great player, to bad they do not build them like this anymore, everything is about touchscreens or to small to fiddle with :/...

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #410 of 510
I'm not an Ipod mini fan, but I do like vintage HDD DAP's, and I agree with fellow Swede KerryKing.
Quote:
to bad they do not build them like this anymore, everything is about touchscreens or to small to fiddle with :/...

Hmmm... I wonder what my Creative Zen Vision M would say about a 128GB CF card? Right now I'm using a 32GB CF card and it's working beautifully.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #411 of 510
I just built my iPod Mini 64GB player. Love the form and function.

Cost me about ~$120
- 45, for a used iPod Mini 2nd gen
- 5, for a new battery
- 15, CF to SD adapter
- 50, 64GB Transcend class 10 SD card
- 8, for a case

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #412 of 510
I've got a second gen Mini with a 32GB CF card in it....still works!

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #413 of 510
Just wondering if anyone's stuck a 128 gig flash card into the mini?  Can get one off amazon for £99 more or less.  Tempted to do it for the fun of it really :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #414 of 510
Well if anyone's interested ordered the Komputerbay £99.00 128 card off amazon.  Going to try it at the weekend.  Almost tempted to get another cheap mini and stick the 16 gig card in the new one :)

Cheers

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #415 of 510
Quote:
Well if anyone's interested ordered the Komputerbay £99.00 128 card off amazon.  Going to try it at the weekend.  Almost tempted to get another cheap mini and stick the 16 gig card in the new one :)

Cheers

Please report on your findings... was thinking of buying a new DAP but tempted to remod my mini with a 128CF card. It currently has a pathetic 32GB... The Mrs has a modded 16GB which i'll filter down the 32GB card and i also have an SLR that can take the 16GB card as a spare... you know, there's probably an issue when an SLR camera gets the hand-me-downs from your audio hobby...

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #416 of 510
Got the card today, so will give it a go over the weekend.  Be interesting to see if it a)works and b) compatible.

Cheers

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #417 of 510
Quote:
Please report on your findings... was thinking of buying a new DAP but tempted to remod my mini with a 128CF card. It currently has a pathetic 32GB... The Mrs has a modded 16GB which i'll filter down the 32GB card and i also have an SLR that can take the 16GB card as a spare... you know, there's probably an issue when an SLR camera gets the hand-me-downs from your audio hobby...

Got it all together last night which took me about an hour (despite various videos lasting 10 minutes!).  Fired it up and ..... it didn't work :frowning2:  That is to say the mini switched back on, but got the "contact apple support" which I obviously didn't!  At this point in the instructions it says to reconnect to itunes but that didn't work for some reason. I did manage to get it into disk mode and was seen as a usb drive but kept disconnecting.  I've got a suspicion that either the card isn't in right, or something wasn't connected properly when I put it back together.  So I'm going to strip it back down re do it and hope that cures the problem.  If it doesn't I'll get a cheap ipod video, tarkans adapter and shove it in there instead :)

Cheers

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #419 of 510
Hi

Well seems it's now working.  Not entirely sure what fixed it.  It looks like the headphone module became loose which was the main cause but even after redoing it it wasn't simple.  Itunes would see it and restore it (both mac and windows), but then go back to the beginning again.  It was installing rockbox on windows that broke the loop ironically and allowed me to get to the point where you have to connect it to the wall power supply. After that I had to do one more restore and this time it broke the loop.  Copying stuff across now (god do I hate the new itunes so so much!)  So will see how this goes.  I now have a 120 gig useable space :)   So that's 8 gig (plus rounding down) for the firmware, ouch!

Cheers

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #420 of 510
that's great to hear, I was just looking at the Komputerbay 128GB on Amazon myself- did you get the 600x?  how are the actual read / write speeds working out?

also, if anyone else knows how to handle their wood, I stumbled across this.  someone created a wooden housing for an ipod mini including a new click wheel.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-1201jan/woodenipod.html

looks like a fun little weekend project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back