My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Nov 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #391 of 510
I can't beleive I'm saying this but I like my iFlash mini with the FiiO F3 more than with my Corda 2Move.

It's true that the mini's hp out is crap, however it gets much better with higher impedance stuff (and hey, the FiiO is an amp after all, doesn't get any higher than that!). The bass boost in the FiiO also gives back that little 'oomph' that my PK2 lacks.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #392 of 510
Anyone know how to make this work on an Ipod photo? I have the adaptor and 16gb AData CF card but its stuck in a restore loop.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #393 of 510
So close, yet so far away...

I purchased a used ipod mini on ebay, first gen. It was billed as broken due to battery issues. I opened this one up carefully, making sure not to break the attachment piece on the motherboard that hooks to the click wheel (which I broke on my first mini). Sure enough, I hooked this puppy up...put in a new battery, the new compact flash card...and yes, it was recognized as a 16 gb mini.

but the darn click wheel does not work. It recognizes (I think) right and left, but not up, down, or middle. I tried putting some of the components from the old click wheel into the machine, but for naught.

I don't know if the click wheel is the problem (I suspect not), or the motherboard on the new ipod.

Darn darn darn!

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #394 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So close, yet so far away...

Yeah, that is annoying. I bought a cheap 1st gen, swapped the battery and CD card. It booted into Rockbox straight away! But I kept getting a burst of what sounds like digital static when I played music through it. I wondered if I was shorting something, so triple checked everything and finally ran it outside the casing and I still get the noise.
So, I guess I'm looking to get another Mini to try again.
frown.gif

EDIT I still haven't bought another Mini and all the bits of the oringinal are in a box.

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #396 of 510
I gave up on this effort. I took the definitely dead pieces in to the Apple store for recycing. They gave me a discount on a new ipod.

The remaining pieces, most of which should work (except the motherboard and possibly click wheel), are being auctioned off in ebay under "ipod mini parts".

Ah well.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #397 of 510
In light of some of the frustrating experiences posted recently, I will point out that I have a working model for sale: 32GB CF-mod 2G mini (green). Link is in my sig.

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #398 of 510
I just talked my friend into selling his dysfunctional 2nd-gen 4GB iPod mini (dead microdrive it seems + short battery life already) to me...
I'll be meeting him in a few hours to hand him the cash and receive the hopeless-and-dying mini in return...
plans for the mini: CF conversion (will be getting 8GB Transcend card, around IDR 400,000 / USD 40 here), DIY mod a.k.a. bypassing the DAC output straight to the dock out, and get a new battery.

oh, and the mini will only cost me IDR 350,000...
which is around USD 35
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #399 of 510
Very glad to discover this thread! Found my old and dusty 2nd gen Mini, installed Rockbox, and was quite surprise by how functional it was!

But, as I don't own any proper headphone (just an AKG K27i and Sony MDR-Ex90SL) nor amp/dac, the result was my regular sound quality, even using FLAC.

Kinda of hijacking the thread, what portable amp would you recommend for the Sennheiser HD 650 (which I'm planning on buying)? And once I bought both, the amp and the Sennheiser do I still have to buy any other equipment? Or is it enough to blow my ears off?

Also, being a wannabe (I don't own any top hardware) newbie to the world of hi-fi amps, is there any .pdf file explaining what is a DAC and how does an amp work?

Ps. Should you feel those questions don't belong in here, PM me please.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #400 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by luiztfc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very glad to discover this thread! Found my old and dusty 2nd gen Mini, installed Rockbox, and was quite surprise by how functional it was!

But, as I don't own any proper headphone (just an AKG K27i and Sony MDR-Ex90SL) nor amp/dac, the result was my regular sound quality, even using FLAC.

Kinda of hijacking the thread, what portable amp would you recommend for the Sennheiser HD 650 (which I'm planning on buying)? And once I bought both, the amp and the Sennheiser do I still have to buy any other equipment? Or is it enough to blow my ears off?

Also, being a wannabe (I don't own any top hardware) newbie to the world of hi-fi amps, is there any .pdf file explaining what is a DAC and how does an amp work?

Ps. Should you feel those questions don't belong in here, PM me please.

Did you put in a CF card?

Also, YGPM
wink.gif

May 10, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #401 of 510
I searched here for a while and perused discontinued at ilounge and figured this is the place I might actually get an answer. I have a first generation mini with a 32 Gig compact flash card and it has worked fine for months, but lately it will seem to reset and go to one album and play it regardless of what it was just playing. Not tragic, but strange and annoying. Its Dizzy Gillespie Verve Masters and it has happened 10 times over the past couple months. "I'll never go back to Georgia" at least I love that song("Manteca".) Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated to the fullest and thanks to modders who did this first.

May 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #403 of 510
At the likely cost of one of those, I'd probably rather just buy a new DAP. heh

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #405 of 510
Still too expensive heh. Though when I did this mod 2 years ago, the 32 gb CF card cost me $120. I still am using the modded Ipod Mini too. I generally have it in semi-permanent car duty for the past year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back