My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #376 of 510
Leeeooo

So the iPod does work fine with the original drive, but you can't enter disk mode. That's a problem. How are you trying to enter disk mode with the Mini? Use the instructions here:
Putting iPod into Disk Mode
I just tried mine and it actually took me several tries to get into disk mode. Hopefully it's just a timing issue. If it really can't be put into disk mode, there could be a problem with the ipod. I honestly don't think so since you said it works with the microdrive, but I would focus on getting it into disk mode first.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #377 of 510
@Elliot
Thanks for this hint, I carefully followed all the steps with an ubuntu-machine but it still didn't work out. Still the same set of screens as soon as I put the card in, no matter if I reset the Ipod or plug it in the power connector or in the computer... this guy is acting strange...

But...
I actually received another mini today that I got off ebay for 17€ (whithout harddrive & battery but who cares...). This one is a 1st gen model and it worked right away with the 16GB transcend card (I made a low level format first to get rid of the firmware that I put on it for the 2gen Ipod before). So the card is definitely working and I'm happy now but the problem with the other one is still unsolved...

@Hayduke
I finally managed to get into disk mode with the "CF resistant"-Ipod, when the original microdrive is in. You were right, it is a timing thing, after some attempts I finally made it (you have to push both buttons some milliseconds before the Apple logo appears I think...). With the CF card in there is still no way to get either into disk- or into diagnostic mode though.

I think I'm giving up on this one since I have now a working CF-modded one... but thank you guys anyway for trying to help!!!

Oh one more thing that happend during my putting-apart-and-back-together-marathon was that I managed to break two pins of the touch-wheel-connector off their pads. With the feeling of having killed the Ipod now I pulled out my soldering iron, put in the finest tip that I had and I somehow managed to solder them back on their tiny pads on that flexible circuit board thing. So, this is definitely doable, you don't need any special surface mount soldering tools. I got the impression that there is some solder resist left on the board next to the pads that prevents the solder from connecting multiple pins of the connector (although they are less than a millimeter apart)
leeeooo

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #378 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeeooo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everybody,
it seems to me that I’m the only one who doesn’t get a Transcend 16GB Ultra Speed 133 to work on an 2gen 4GB Mini. The firmware is version 1.4.1, but when I put the CF card in and I reboot the Ipod it gives me first the Apple Logo, then the sad Ipod face
939364vf8.gif
and then an (empty) battery symbol
609705oh9.jpg
(although the battery is quite new and fully charged). When I plug it via USB in my Windows PC it’s not even recognized as a plugged-in USB device (same with Firewire). So no chance to restore it. Also, what is strange with this Ipod is, even with the original MicroDrive when the Ipod is running perfectly there is no way to get into disk mode. I can get into diagnostig mode, but it looks different to what everybody else is seeing there. Mine is like

“iPod Diagnostics
SRV FEB 03 2005

Memory
IO
Power
Status
DIAG VER
RESET
AUTOTEST”

I ran some of the tests, they are OK.

When I have the CF card in I can’t even get to diagnostic mode…?!? I also checked the CF card, it seems OK in a card reader. As a last attempt I used this program to wipe the card completly but there is no change…
Well, I’m running out of ideas now, maybe somebody else has a clue why this isn’t working…

[size=xx-small](I also posted this on the original geektechnique site but I thougt there are more people coming by here who could possibly help me...)[/size]

Just curious, is the card in the correct position? My understanding is that in can be inserted both right side up and upside down. Next, try to actually copy files onto the card while in the card reader ( I can at least with mine because it shows up as a drive unit when plugged into the computer slot for CF cards) Third thing is, was the card formated prior to use ie fat 32?

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #379 of 510
Quote:

@Elliot
Thanks for this hint, I carefully followed all the steps with an ubuntu-machine but it still didn't work out. Still the same set of screens as soon as I put the card in, no matter if I reset the Ipod or plug it in the power connector or in the computer... this guy is acting strange...

But...
I actually received another mini today that I got off ebay for 17€ (whithout harddrive & battery but who cares...). This one is a 1st gen model and it worked right away with the 16GB transcend card (I made a low level format first to get rid of the firmware that I put on it for the 2gen Ipod before). So the card is definitely working and I'm happy now but the problem with the other one is still unsolved...

@Hayduke
I finally managed to get into disk mode with the "CF resistant"-Ipod, when the original microdrive is in. You were right, it is a timing thing, after some attempts I finally made it (you have to push both buttons some milliseconds before the Apple logo appears I think...). With the CF card in there is still no way to get either into disk- or into diagnostic mode though.

I think I'm giving up on this one since I have now a working CF-modded one... but thank you guys anyway for trying to help!!!

Oh one more thing that happend during my putting-apart-and-back-together-marathon was that I managed to break two pins of the touch-wheel-connector off their pads. With the feeling of having killed the Ipod now I pulled out my soldering iron, put in the finest tip that I had and I somehow managed to solder them back on their tiny pads on that flexible circuit board thing. So, this is definitely doable, you don't need any special surface mount soldering tools. I got the impression that there is some solder resist left on the board next to the pads that prevents the solder from connecting multiple pins of the connector (although they are less than a millimeter apart)
leeeooo

Glad you got one working. On;y disadvantage to the 1st gen is less battery life. 2nd gens did better in that regard.

Are you talking about the connector on the bottom of the Mini? I've resoldered those too
wink.gif
Of course, I have built a lot now, so I had a lot of chances to break those joints. They definitely aren't designed to be taken apart much hehe.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #380 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb5881 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, is the card in the correct position? My understanding is that in can be inserted both right side up and upside down.

You're right there are two ways to put the card in but I didn't make a mistake here, as it is working with my other Ipod now.
Quote:

Next, try to actually copy files onto the card while in the card reader ( I can at least with mine because it shows up as a drive unit when plugged into the computer slot for CF cards)

Did that with a simple card reader that is USB connected to my PC no problem, the card is fine.
Quote:

Third thing is, was the card formated prior to use ie fat 32?

Yes it was formatted in FAT32 when I first took it out of it's packaging.

@Hayduke
Yeah, heard about the difference in Battery life, so I'll probably put that one in the car where this is not an issue. I've got another one coming from ebay (I've tasted blood now...) and an A-DATA 16GB card is also on it's way, so I'll play around some more to get at least one more to work.
Yes, I'm talking about the connector at the bottom. It's hard to unplug this connector in a way without putting any force on the pins or on this flexible plastic board. I figured that it's best to use a small flat screwdriver from the side to tear apart the two plastic connectors itself wihout touching the board. I don't want to solder there again, it's way to smalll...

I figured that it takes definitely longer to write songs on the Ipod with the CF card. I copied around 15GB and it took almost 1 1/2 hours. But the access times for the songs are way faster on the other hand. When I jumped from one song to another one from a different album, with the microdrive you could feel it spin up first and finally you got the other song. Now, less than a second, there you are...

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #381 of 510
Quote:

Yes, I'm talking about the connector at the bottom. It's hard to unplug this connector in a way without putting any force on the pins or on this flexible plastic board. I figured that it's best to use a small flat screwdriver from the side to tear apart the two plastic connectors itself wihout touching the board. I don't want to solder there again, it's way to smalll...

I figured that it takes definitely longer to write songs on the Ipod with the CF card. I copied around 15GB and it took almost 1 1/2 hours. But the access times for the songs are way faster on the other hand. When I jumped from one song to another one from a different album, with the microdrive you could feel it spin up first and finally you got the other song. Now, less than a second, there you are...

I use one of the plastic tools now. I think they are commonly referred to as spudgers? It's like a wide plastic screwdriver blade with a 45 degree bend towards the end. I start towards the center, then slide it behind the little flap of ribbon cable. It can then actually "bite" against the leads on the plug to get the connector to come out. I'll warn you that some of these things stick bad. I've ordered a couple replacement ribbon cables because I tore them up beyond repair trying to remove them.

I didn't notice a speed difference, but I never ran a Mini without the CF card :p Also mine is the Trancsend 133x one. I don't think it matters though. Once the data is on the iPod, it plays back fine and that's all that matters.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #382 of 510
It seems some cards work with both gen 1 and 2 and others will only work with one. Some seem to not work with any of them. Is it a card by card issue were the same size and brand may or may not work or some sizes and /or brands do not work at all?

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #383 of 510
On ebay, you can buy the circuit board, control disc, battery, display and case, ie build your own mini. Lets take the idea one step farther! Would it be possible if you built a new case, like the way the cmoy amps in a Altoids tin or the like, and added a card slot that connected to the circuit board, ie a Compact Flash card slot. Then one could load up more than one card, have a slot to put it in. Even if you cut the old mini case to add an external card slot and run the cable into the case. Now that would be the ultimate expanded memory.

Tim

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #384 of 510
Quote:

On ebay, you can buy the circuit board, control disc, battery, display and case, ie build your own mini. Lets take the idea one step farther! Would it be possible if you built a new case, like the way the cmoy amps in a Altoids tin or the like, and added a card slot that connected to the circuit board, ie a Compact Flash card slot. Then one could load up more than one card, have a slot to put it in. Even if you cut the old mini case to add an external card slot and run the cable into the case. Now that would be the ultimate expanded memory.

Tim

Since the drive/CF card is on the bottom/back of the Mini, you could cut a slot in the body and mount a plug for CF cards. I wouldn't see a huge benefit myself, but you could do it. I find 32GB a decent amount of storage and I use only lossless codecs. Of course, lately I find myself carrying around my 32GB Mini and my 30GB Video :p

Instead of making a modified Mini, why not just build a second? They really aren't that expensive. The 32GB CF card is at least half the cost
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #385 of 510
Cool thread , I love my Ipod Mini with 2gb Sandisk flash.. it's very user-friendly for podcasts *Sony for Music
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw. I use a Ipod 4G battery with double the capacity . I taped it on the outside of the casing and put one of those silicon skins around it . Twice the battery life!

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #386 of 510
So I broke off the bottom connector for the clickwheel on my 1G mini. I assume that this is very hard to repair?

I've purchased a broken mini from ebay. With any luck all it needs is a new battery and I can try out the CF mod. Either that or I'll have two dead minis.

Anybody know how hard a repair is to put the connector that goes between the click wheel and the circuit board back on?

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #387 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I broke off the bottom connector for the clickwheel on my 1G mini. I assume that this is very hard to repair?

I've purchased a broken mini from ebay. With any luck all it needs is a new battery and I can try out the CF mod. Either that or I'll have two dead minis.

Anybody know how hard a repair is to put the connector that goes between the click wheel and the circuit board back on?

I posted a couple posts ago that I've broken that connector too. If all you do it break the solder joint, you can sometimes resolder it, but you will more likely have to replace the ribbon cable. They are easy to get and pretty cheap, perhaps $10 after shipping, on ebay. It's not too hard to swap out. If you can do the CF card swap, you can probably handle this part. You have to remove the clickwheel from the body and then take it apart. The ribbon is held on by some adhesive, so just be gentle when you remove it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #388 of 510
Hayduke,

I think we broke our units in diferent places. The cable on my clickwheel is just fine. I broke the white piece the sticks out from the motherboard that the clickwheel attaches to. So the white piece needs to be reattached to the motherboard. I have a feeling that this can't be done with regular tools.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #389 of 510
after almost a year of waiting, I've finally got ONE working CF Mini Ipod.
The CF cards dropped so much in price at the brick and mortar store
was what did it.
working mini costs me $50, ipod $20, 8gb Kingston elite 133x card $20 and
new battery $6.
the bad news, non working mini $40, bag of parts that were mostly for the 2nd gen $25
now to find a first gen clickwheel to get the other one working.
Now I have a chance at a high capacity flash player, thanks to all.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #390 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hayduke,

I think we broke our units in diferent places. The cable on my clickwheel is just fine. I broke the white piece the sticks out from the motherboard that the clickwheel attaches to. So the white piece needs to be reattached to the motherboard. I have a feeling that this can't be done with regular tools.

ahhh you broke the socket that is attached to the logic board. That's a bummer. I'm at work, so I can't look at one right now, but I seem to recall what that one looked like. It might not be possible to replace that part. I've built stuff with those surface mount connectors (not DIY, in electronics manufacturing environment). The pads are under the connector I think, so it will be impossible to solder with an iron. To repair something like that, you would have to use a hot air SMT rework machine. Of course, this is trying to recall what that thing looked like. If it's a TH part, you can repair it yourself easy enough if you can find the part.

Look at it this way though... How much is a logic board? About $20? How many hours would it take to replace that connector? My math says it's cheaper to order a new board
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back