My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Oct 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #346 of 510
Guys,

Ive noticed buggy playback from my CF Mini. It kind of crackles for a split second at specific times. Lets say at 0:11 and 0:20 etc. Its as if theres bad ''sectors'' on the CF (its not the mp3). Before I open up the Mini do you have any idea where I should pay attention to? What can be the cause? Also the clickwheel is not responding directly all of the time so this might or might not be related.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Btw, I use a Transcend 16GB. Anyone else?

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #347 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,

Ive noticed buggy playback from my CF Mini. It kind of crackles for a split second at specific times. Lets say at 0:11 and 0:20 etc. Its as if theres bad ''sectors'' on the CF (its not the mp3). Before I open up the Mini do you have any idea where I should pay attention to? What can be the cause? Also the clickwheel is not responding directly all of the time so this might or might not be related.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Btw, I use a Transcend 16GB. Anyone else?

I use a Transcend 32GB card myself, so I don't think it is your card.

Are you using the Apple OS or Rockbox?

Is the crackle repeatable or random? ie does it always happen at 0:32 on a particular track everytime you play it?

Can you give a little more detail of the problem with the click wheel? I find that the click wheel on my Minis doesn't work quite as nicely as the one on my video. I attribute it to age. I have a cover on my Mini (2 actually) so I think that reduces the sensitivity a bit, but I have a cover on my Video as well. Both are iSkins. It's also possible to actually clean up the click wheel mechanism a little. I've taken them completely apart. If you peel the plastics off, make sure to have some way to reattach them. You want to use the type of tape that leaves the adhesive, but not the plastic. They call it adhesive transfer tape (3M makes some). It can be sorta tough to find. I found some that works OK at Michael's (big craft store). I think it is intended for scrapbook folks or for photo albums. It isn't ideal because it's not very wide. Ideally look for the 3M stuff. It comes in wide tapes up to 6". You peel off one side of the paper, press it down, then peel off the other side. The nice thing about it is you can cut it to be the exact shape you need and put the adhesive down in one piece. This is an advantage as you don't want to build up the adhesive too thick. With the narrow one I tried first, I couldn't cover the entire surface very well without overlapping. The problem is getting the 3M stuff. The wide rolls (4" or 6") are over $40
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #348 of 510
I get an intermittant static crackling on my build which makes the unit unlistenable. Looks like I'll have to junk it and buy another Mini to modify or has anyone had success with buying and fitting an OEM logic board, like this:

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #349 of 510
If anyone is interested in a pre-modded green 2nd gen w/ A-Data 32gb card and brand new high capacity battery, I have mine listed in the source gear for sale forum. Works beautifully but for my use I'm preferring my 80gb iPod 5.5.

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #351 of 510
Yaaaaay. Batteries finally arrived! *tears of joy*

Popped it in to a 2G mini (it was kinda hard to put it together -- the battery is thicker than the original one. But it worked.), charging it now. Gonna rockbox it soon.

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #352 of 510
I was amazed to discover that iPod Mini is better than 160GB Classic soundwise. Are there anybody who think the same?

Now I want to expand it with 32GB CF. But I am not sure whether Rockbox will affect sound quality. Any opinions?

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #354 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was amazed to discover that iPod Mini is better than 160GB Classic soundwise. Are there anybody who think the same?

Now I want to expand it with 32GB CF. But I am not sure whether Rockbox will affect sound quality. Any opinions?

Rockbox itself won't affect SQ, however it does offer a wide range of customizations i.e. crossover, bass and treble boost etc.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #356 of 510
Oct 16, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #357 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Mini is most likely 2G (6GB, silver)

It is 2g if the buttons on the clickwheel are the same color as the body

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #358 of 510
If anyone remembers my struggles to get my rockboxed, flashed ipod out of molasses mode, I finally managed to do it. It was one deity-damned little option that needed to be turned on - directory caching under "settings - somethingorother - disk".
After that was done, the interface was functional, but still a bit slow during database browsing.
I updated RB to the newest version, and even that is now gone - the interface is lightning-quick and I'm a happy modder.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #359 of 510
I'll be modding my mini this weekend. New CF and a battery. And when I break it, my finance has one she doesn't use anymore, so I will inherit that one :p

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #360 of 510
Quick heads up for those in the uk, ginger6.com now have the 16 gig peak compact flash card (works fine in rockbox and normal applesoftware)for under £30!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back