-Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB
-Archos 405 2GB + 4GB SD [For sale]
-Cowon D2 16GB + 8GB SD
-1st gen iPod Nano 2GB
-2nd gen iPod Touch 16GB

And I see you have plenty of DAPs already
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #333 of 510
In case this information has not been posted, Newegg dropped the price of the A-DATA 32G card to $69.99 US. When I receive my recently ordered Zune 4G, I will be making this mod. Cannot take the chance of problems with the mod which would leave me without a DAP.

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #335 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats an awesome price for a 32GB card!

Shame newegg is US only......

frown.gif
Same price as I got 16gb for over here AU$75 is the cheapest I could find. 32gb is about $150+ here.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #336 of 510
I remember reading about this hack quite some time ago, and am glad to see it goes to 32gb. I just ordered...

Green 2nd gen Mini with weak battery, $34 shipped on eBay
750mAh replacement battery, $10 shipped on eBay
32gb A-Data CF card, about $75 shipped from NewEgg

So a 32 gig flash player on its way for under $120! Not too shabby...

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #337 of 510
All of the bits and pieces for my flash-based Mini finally came in, and I'm happy to say I was quite successful. I used the 32gb A-Data card available for $70 at NewEgg. I also installed a $10 (shipped) replacement battery, and put it all into a green 2nd gen Mini with a weak battery. The Mini was about $30 shipped, but I had to keep an eye out for a few days to find a reasonable price on one.

A few notes:

- The existing 4gb micro drive was enclosed in a rubber boot. I decided to wrap the rubber boot around the new CF card, then used a strip of black tape to secure the boot to the card, as the card was thinner than the microdrive was.

- Be cautious putting the thing back together. I managed to get some kind of gunk on the inside of the screen glass, and I couldn't get it completely wiped off. It's annoying.

- When you get it all back together, if the click wheel doesn't work... REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE HOLD SWITCH! I was convinced I had screwed up somehow, so I tore the whole thing apart again, and the second time putting it together I got the gunk on the screen as mentioned above. Turns out I just didn't look at the switch. Stupid me.

- Even if your battery is OK, I'd spend the $10 or so to get a replacement one. Since you're going to have it all torn apart, might as well take the opportunity to put a fresh one in.

All in all, it was quite easy. Not counting me needing to take it part a second time due to my stupidity, it took maybe 30 minutes total.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #338 of 510
For those in the uk theres a few ipod minis going on buy it now (sellers name is bargain clear out agent) on ebay at around the £25.00 mark. States they might need a new battery but seems prices might be dropping again. Nice easy mod to do, hell if I can do it anyone can!

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #341 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by wynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A-Data is cheap, but they have slow writting speed, get a sandisk

Someone please confirm this, but as far as I know, Sandisk known to have problems in iPods...

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #342 of 510
Quote:

One doesn't need a fast writing speed for this mod. Sure it may take awhile to fill up 32 gigs worth of music all at once but this is true for any large sized drive. For me the AData 32 gig CF Card was only a tad bit slower then the default 6 gig hd that my Ipod Mini 2nd gen originally came with. This does not affect Ipod Mini playback or browsing at all nor will anyone notice slow transfer speeds during small song transfers onto the Ipod Mini. It's just much better to get the AData card for price and reliability.

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #343 of 510
Quote:

I think cheaper is better. The majority of the time you should be using this to play music. I don't think it's worth the extra money to save a little time when filling the iPod. Sure it takes awhile, but it will take awhile to copy 32GB via USB no matter what. In fact, I suspect these faster CF cards have little or no impact on the transfer speed on USB. The faster CF cards are designed with cameras in mind. Digital SLRs can write to CF cards much much faster then a USB transfer can.

We're all entitled to our opinions of course
smily_headphones1.gif

So for balances sake...

Get the A-Data cards. They are cheaper and you won't notice any benefit by buying the more expensive cards.

For what it's worth, I did by the faster transcend card, and don't think it was worth the price difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone perusing this thread want to help me out with a little problem I'm having with my flash mini? Seems like a better thread to ask than where I posted:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pro...d-mini-370509/

I'll post this on both threads
wink.gif

I realize you found a solution, but I'll go ahead and post in case soemone else benefits.

Did you update the Mini's firmware before you swapped the drive for the CF card? I know people have had trouble with this mod and old Mini firmware.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #344 of 510
I just modded a Cowon X5 by putting an A-Data 32GB Compact flash card with an 1.8inch IDE adapter in there!

You'll be reading, not writing to the drive most of the time so write times aren't that important. I found it to be a little slower than a hard disk for writing, but when it comes to reading, it is MUCH faster than a hard disk.

Cheers,

Deon

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #345 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnyhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just modded a Cowon X5 by putting an A-Data 32GB Compact flash card with an 1.8inch IDE adapter in there!

You'll be reading, not writing to the drive most of the time so write times aren't that important. I found it to be a little slower than a hard disk for writing, but when it comes to reading, it is MUCH faster than a hard disk.

Cheers,

Deon

yah, solid state has much better seek times since nothing has to move
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back