My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Feb 4, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #496 of 510
there is a list of compact flash known to work and not work, here is the list, not sure how current it is.
http://www.tarkan.
info/20080506/blog/iflash-compact-flash-compatibility-help-needed

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #497 of 510
there is a list of compact flash known to work and not work, here is the list, not sure how current it is.
http://www.tarkan.
info/20080506/blog/iflash-compact-flash-compatibility-help-needed

Sweet, thanks for the link! I ordered a Kingston Ultimate 266x 64GB a little bit ago so glad to see it on the 'Known to work' list. Can't wait to get it and hope all goes well!

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #498 of 510
  I was wondering about this too because I noticed someone said they were using a Tarkan adapter but I think that was to use with a SD card. With so many SD to CF adapters available is there a reason to use a Tarkan for a Mini?

Do you want one that you know works, or do you want to play tester to find another that works so you can try to save a few dollars?

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #499 of 510
  Sweet, thanks for the link! I ordered a Kingston Ultimate 266x 64GB a little bit ago so glad to see it on the 'Known to work' list. Can't wait to get it and hope all goes well!

That's the lowest cost reputable card front at 64gB ($50).  Lexar has the lowest cost reputable cards at 128gB ($140) and 256gB ($270)

I went SDXC because the 256gB PNY is $90 and Tarkan's adapter is $18.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #500 of 510

Do you want one that you know works, or do you want to play tester to find another that works so you can try to save a few dollars?

I get that with the other Tarkan iPod adapters and the ribbon cable clamp but I figured because it seemed that if most CF would work in a Mini that it would be the same with the SD adapters so I was curious but didn't want to ask. Just weighing the options of putting flash in a 5.5G or a Mini I might have coming later and cheaper is best for me but only if it works. :) Also when I finally make the choice, Im pretty impatient and probably won't feel like waiting a week. Might even end up doing both eventually but want to do the Mini first if I can do it cheaper.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #502 of 510
  Can a iPod mini work with a DAC?

Yes, but not with all. My understanding is that the iPod Mini's internal DAC is pretty good, so it's not absolutely necessary to run it through an external. If you have a 30-pin LOD to 3.5 mm jack you can use any amp you want (which is what I do, though I haven't compared this to using an external DAC).

If you do want to run the Mini through an external DAC, you need one that accepts a regular USB plug (not a mini- or micro-USB). DAC/Amps that I'm aware of that work with the iPod Mini (or any iPod/iPhone/iPad with a 30-pin interconnect) are: Cayin C6, Foster HP-P1, Entrance HiFi-M8, Onkyo DAC-HA200 and the TEAC HA-P50. These are all portables, and I'm not sure what might be available in desktop DAC/Amps. They also work with newer iPhones and iPads with Lightning out to USB.

I'm considering picking up one of the TEACs soon as I've heard good things about it and it's reasonably priced, and it'll work with both my Mini and iPhone 5S.. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #504 of 510

I don't believe this is correct.

The first iPod with digital output from it's 30-pin dock connector was the Gen. 5.5 Video model.

The iPod mini can only output analog from it's 30-pin dock port, not digital, which is what a DAC connection needs.

It's also worth noting that even the Gen. 5.5 has very limited DAC compatibility due to it's only being capable of USB Device mode, and not USB Host mode.

The first iPod with wider DAC compatibility and capable of USB Host mode was the Gen. 6 Classic.

In that case, I stand corrected. My apologies. I've learned something new. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #508 of 510
  Ive installed Rockbox 3.13 on my ipod mini 1st gen but it does not support flac files.
How do I get flac on iPod mini via rockbox?

It started up in rockbox? You should just be able to drag a folder of FLAC files to the iPod's storage without using iTunes. Or just use ALAC.

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #509 of 510

Fairly new on the Forum and thought I would share my first mod project.
256gb iPod mini. I owe all the good folks at Head-Fi a giant "ThankYou". Not only would I have never known this was possible, but also I would have not taken the risk to try it without all I have read here and a few other websites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back