My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Jan 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #484 of 510
I have a 64GB version 2nd gen filled with FLAC. It can get tedious going through the folder hierarchy. I can't fathom sifting through that many tracks/albums/artist, even with rockbox with storage much higher than that.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #487 of 510
Do you know if Mini can play true VBR AAC files that go over 320 and is there a way to strip album art of songs on the Mini or does iTunes do that automatically when you sync to it?

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #488 of 510
  It last longer overall.  When playing I had it running for about 13 hours the other day, just letting it play to see how long it would last.  This was on itunes mode though.  I did a comparison with it in rockbox mode and last about 7hours or so, I haven't got a good rockbox mode comparison just yet though. 

I did some comparison tests.  I used the stock 4gB microdrive and the stock 10 year old battery in my 2nd gen mini.  With Rockbox it played for right around 13:05.  The stock firmware played for about 15:30.  In both cases I played a single album on repeat all continuously until it shut off.  The iPod was driving some IEMs.  I tried to set the volume to about the same level in both firmwares.

Stock 650

Everything I've read says the stock battery is a 400mAh cell.  I suspect the aftermarket replacement batteries don't have a much higher capacity than that.  They're just printing inflated lies on the label.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #489 of 510
  Everything I've read says the stock battery is a 400mAh cell.  I suspect the aftermarket replacement batteries don't have a much higher capacity than that.  They're just printing inflated lies on the label.

I think it's 400 in the 1st gen and 650 in the second (part of why the latter has longer life). There are what are probably legit ones up to about 780. I agree, though, that the 1300 and its ilk are probably half that in reality.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #491 of 510
Hey everyone, I dug up my iPod Mini (2nd generation) a little while ago and have been thinking of modding it. Though I do have a few questions.

1) From what I can tell, if I were to use a CF card, I would not need an adapter, correct? Just plug into the micro drive's socket?

2) Do I need a particular type of CF card, a certain speed, or any CF card will do?

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #492 of 510
  Hey everyone, I dug up my iPod Mini (2nd generation) a little while ago and have been thinking of modding it. Though I do have a few questions.

1) From what I can tell, if I were to use a CF card, I would not need an adapter, correct? Just plug into the micro drive's socket?

2) Do I need a particular type of CF card, a certain speed, or any CF card will do?

1) Correct... no adapter needed if you use a CF card.
2) Except for possibly at the ends of the spectrum (very big or very small/old), any CF should work.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #494 of 510
I was wondering about this too because I noticed someone said they were using a Tarkan adapter but I think that was to use with a SD card. With so many SD to CF adapters available is there a reason to use a Tarkan for a Mini?

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #495 of 510
  I was wondering about this too because I noticed someone said they were using a Tarkan adapter but I think that was to use with a SD card. With so many SD to CF adapters available is there a reason to use a Tarkan for a Mini?

Yep, the CF to SD adapter is just used if someone were to use an SD card instead of a CF card. As @jruschme confirmed, the CF card will be plugged into the socket that the micro drive was originally plugged into and that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back