My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Jan 9, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #466 of 510
Didn't someone here also recommend a replacement battery to get rather than just a ebay China jobbie?
Mine is working good for playing, although battery is probably crap now too.  Besides it doesn't like the cold. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #468 of 510
  2nd gen Mini Tarkan CF-SDXC adapter with PNY 256GB SDXC.  Currently waiting for all the refurb parts to make this look brand new.

Congrats! You've probably got only the second or third iPod Mini documented as working with 256GB. I wonder if the fact that you are on a Mac makes a difference?

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #469 of 510
I agree, that is pretty sweet if your 256 works.  Since I was ordering a new battery for my iPhone, I also got one for my mini, replaced yesterday and charged, ran it almost 18 hours and still going.  My older battery would got for about 1 hour. 
This is getting to be a pretty cool revival for my mini. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #471 of 510
  I agree, that is pretty sweet if your 256 works.  Since I was ordering a new battery for my iPhone, I also got one for my mini, replaced yesterday and charged, ran it almost 18 hours and still going.  My older battery would got for about 1 hour. 
This is getting to be a pretty cool revival for my mini. 

Where did you get your battery from?  My mini's battery is starting to show it's age and I'm looking for a replacement.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #475 of 510

Only during playback or does it lose battery charge a lot faster when it's powered off too?

About how much worse is the battery life?

It last longer overall.  When playing I had it running for about 13 hours the other day, just letting it play to see how long it would last.  This was on itunes mode though.  I did a comparison with it in rockbox mode and last about 7hours or so, I haven't got a good rockbox mode comparison just yet though. 

Not sure what you mean by how much worse is the battery life.  This is on a new battery I put in my mini, its about 800 times better than the one I removed. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #476 of 510
  It last longer overall.  When playing I had it running for about 13 hours the other day, just letting it play to see how long it would last.  This was on itunes mode though.  I did a comparison with it in rockbox mode and last about 7hours or so, I haven't got a good rockbox mode comparison just yet though. 

Not sure what you mean by how much worse is the battery life.  This is on a new battery I put in my mini, its about 800 times better than the one I removed. 

I meant how much shorter is the battery life when using Rockbox vs. the stock mode which you've basically answered.  You have a 1st gen mini or a 2nd gen mini?

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #477 of 510

Why is it so rare?  Tarkan CF adapter + SDXC should work right?

It's rare because you don't see much mention of 256GB iPod Minis.(OTOH, everybody seems to have a 32GB one.) I think it's a combination of the age of the Mini and the expense of the 256GB card. (I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 256GB CF card. If so, it would be prohibitively expensive.) Also, being able to use an SDXC adapter in an iPod is a relatively new occurrence, the result of a new generation of adapter hardware.

Personally, I'm not convinced that a 256GB Mini is worth it unless you have lossless files almost exclusively or use the iPod as a disk as well. There is still the question of how many songs the native firmware can deal with. So far, we know at least 15,000 but likely less than the 30K of an iPod Video.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #479 of 510
It's rare because you don't see much mention of 256GB iPod Minis.(OTOH, everybody seems to have a 32GB one.) I think it's a combination of the age of the Mini and the expense of the 256GB card. (I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 256GB CF card. If so, it would be prohibitively expensive.) Also, being able to use an SDXC adapter in an iPod is a relatively new occurrence, the result of a new generation of adapter hardware.

Personally, I'm not convinced that a 256GB Mini is worth it unless you have lossless files almost exclusively or use the iPod as a disk as well. There is still the question of how many songs the native firmware can deal with. So far, we know at least 15,000 but likely less than the 30K of an iPod Video.

You can get a 256gB CF card, but they're stupidly expensive.

AFAIK Rockbox removes any file limits so you can carry a stupid amount of music with you with a 256gB one. Stock firmware file limit might not be that low without album art padding the database size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back