My 1st world class headphone, the HD-650, is on the way, what can I expect?
Jan 8, 2006 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I recently purchased a new Ray Samuels HR-2 headphone amp and an Arcam C73 CD player. I currently own Sennheiser HD-480s, which cost $89 in 1991.

I've ordered the Senn HD-650 because I like the Senn sound, and also because in a thread here, Ray said the HR-2 sounds great with the HD-650.

I am really anticipating receiving the HD-650, breaking them in, and incorporating them in my new system. What kind of sonic improvements can I expect going from the 480 to the 650? Can you describe the differences you experienced when you stepped up to your first truly world class headphone?

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 28
To not be disappointed based on what I have read..
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 28
I have these headphones, they are great. I'm looking to compliment these with a pair of Grado RS-1's when I get the money. The Sennheisers are rich and detailed, beautiful sound. But the presentation can be a bit laid back, sometimes too laid back when you really want them to rock. That's where the Grado's come in. To me Grado and Sennheiser are the yinn and yang of headphones. When you think you really love your 650's, go try some Grado's out. Then you'll be ready for your second pair of world-class headphones.

You'll propably want to look at a replacement cable. The stock cable is, well, ehhh... And then you'll need an amplifier, too. And then a better amplifier, and before you know it, you're in debt up to your eyeballs with the rest of us!

And, oh, by the way - welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 28
I also ordered my second pair of HD650's. I will also be looking for another home amp to drive them. My PPX3-Slam sounds good with them, but it just a bit to warm. I really like trying to bring out as much detail as possible, and I hope I find the right combo!
600smile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 28
Expect to really love the HD650's.

Expect to be tempted many times over to upgrade the cable because there are so many good choices available now and a lot to read about the various options here at Head-Fi.

Expect others to tell you that they prefer headphone X, Y, or Z and that therefore the HD650's are flawed in one way or another.

Expect to be frustrated by all of this talk about X, Y and Z headphones, especially if you're enjoying your HD650's and don't have an opportunity to compare them to all of the other choices yourself.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 28
And.. don't expect too much, or you'll most likely be dissapointed.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I also ordered my second pair of HD650's. I will also be looking for another home amp to drive them. My PPX3-Slam sounds good with them, but it just a bit to warm. I really like trying to bring out as much detail as possible, and I hope I find the right combo!
600smile.gif

sheesh man..u have been on a tear...the 701's are gone already?!?

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 28
your first reaction will be that it was a ripoff (everyone i know said that when they first listened including me), then after about 150 hours and several decently recorded classical CDs one should realize how great they are.
580smile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 28
nspindel said:
You'll propably want to look at a replacement cable. The stock cable is, well, ehhh... And then you'll need an amplifier, too. And then a better amplifier, and before you know it, you're in debt up to your eyeballs with the rest of us!
QUOTE]

And then you can do what I just did and spend several more bucks and woody your headphones. Sorry for my wallet....

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 28
Eargasm. Make sure you have no pressing engagements for the 12 hours after you receive them. Congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif

In more detail: look for awesome soundstage, smooth highs, great detail, just a beautifully realistic sound.

Also, look for those telling you that the 650 sounds muddy and veiled and congested, and is no match whatsoever for their RS 1, SA5000, etc. Then ignore them.
600smile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 28
I love mine. I cant say enough about how great these headphones are. You can expect countless hours of listening enjoyment. I let my friend listen to them who has never heard a high end headphone and his reaction was simply priceless. After 10 mins of acdc live I had to pry them off his head. He then preceded to ask how much they were and I just said you dont want to know. He started laughing and the grin on his face was worth every penny I spent on the headphone / amp / soundcard combo.

You will love them... If not your ears are nothing like mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back