mx550 appreciation thread
Jul 3, 2005 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
New to mx550 ?
Do you think they're incredible earbuds ?

me : yes . they offer an incredible sound , period .
I'm using them with the perimeter that FULLY occludes the ear canal window , and frontfacing the hole
the sound is not the UM2 sound , but is not 19$ buds here..

I admit if i use them normally i get a decent sound , from when I use them front facing and occluding the ear canal , it's another story . The sound is very full yet articulate , many instruments are rendered to nicely and with a fine timbre , too fine , really , for 19$.

what do you think..?

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 29
for anyone who's lucky enough to get the seal and to use them as canals "wall of sound" - you need a nice , elastic and big canal perimeter
biggrin.gif
- I suggest to pass a time finding the right volume ( as for canals )

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 29
I have the MX450 (no inline volume control). It's great for an earbud! For me it is a glimpse on how sennheiser is able to achieve a believable sound on any level of price and headphone type. (sorry for sounding like a fan, but heck one can't even speak if he always worries about that
tongue.gif
)

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 29
Ops, I forgot,

boodi, now you need to try the PX 10 ! It's even more surprising ! (I prefer it to the PX100 for musicality...)

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I have the MX450 (no inline volume control). It's great for an earbud! For me it is a glimpse on how sennheiser is able to achieve a believable sound on any level of price and headphone type. (sorry for sounding like a fan, but heck one can't even speak if he always worries about that
tongue.gif
)

mx450 is mx550 without volume control so..
i agree with you , and their last earbuds are a good attempt to steal some market to more pricy earbuds - canalbuds ( if one has ears is simple to hear how very good the last mx serie is )
mx550 are imo underpriced for what they offer , could be sold at 49$ and rise consense everywhere ( ..a low price discriminate many time ..)

px 10 ...
sennheiser_px10.jpg

how do they sound ?

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
recently i purchased a pair of akg K12p earbuds and must say they give the mx550's a run for their money.

my judge was the same before mx550 fully burned in.
they're a lot superior to k12p

k12p are sparkly bright very spacing , bass boosting earbuds. I enjoy them a lot - but .. mx550 do tonality and timbre . they resolve low midrange . they have show tonal coherence - not on the long frq.s spread , but their focus ( low midr. ) is beutiful .

I'm sure mx550 are quite a step in earbuds projecting for price , can quite find the hd650 s.s. in them .

k12p are fast , musical but boring after first weeks as they don't offer sufficient coherence and organicity . staging sound which is kind of artificial .very musical and enjoying them , but the opposite way mx550 do timbre and try music a step over k12p . Really worth some money more the 19$ bucks you spend on them .
I bet Sennheiser labs are probably experimenting on portables (a very big part of the commercial present & future headphones mass market ) .

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 29
to tell it truly (my ears , imo , flames allowed ) mx550 is the one that approximate better the organicity of hd650 .
I learned the main center of focus of an x heaphones is important , because is the thing you get on in a time , wanting or not , when use an x headophone .
The focus on mx550 is on low mids - still it had bass and highs .
nice answer , I bet any frq. plot could confirm what I'm hearing .

and , to answer your question..
the can which i resemble the most the nice tonal habit of mx550 is the hp2 .
can't thing on another can which have their nice aplomb on midlow frq. really . px 100 maybe .. as for the comparison with hp2 : a much less important degree of refinement , less balance , much more little dynamic range , and bit syntetic sound - but on their line if thinking of tone balance .

edit : consider I use them as i pointed in first and second post.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 29
boodi, I perfectly agree on your remarks about the MX550/450's ability to render the timbre, sound full in the midrange, and present an organic sound overall ... I'm impressed myself by the way I can go directly back and forth from the HD650 to the MX450 without having the least shock...!

Now to the PX 10 ...

It sounds a little better to me (costed only 3 euro more), more clear and more dynamic for first. Bass is also a bit more articulate, treble a bit more extended. It is another instance of an organic sound quality, if with a little lighter / more 'electrostaticy' character than the MX450 with the foams on (mind you, without any bass boost from the PCDP). The midrange is maybe a tad less warm than the MX450 with foams, but it is surprisingly clear, even & airy sounding, for a quasi-earbud headphone !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back