mw @ ohm
Feb 7, 2016 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

waxdoctor

Head-Fier
Dear all,

need your expert help.

I am getting very confused and I am too stupid or just to tired(have no technical background) to get the whole principles of electrical engineering.

I have an amp where the mfg just mentioned 200mW @ 33ohm (output power).

---
Output power 200 mW/33 ohms
Output impedance 5 ohms
Maximum output level +16 dBu
---

Is there a simple way to calculate the mW @ 300ohm as my HD 650 has 300ohm.

So I can figure out if the amp puts out the the needed mW for its peak SPL range. 

Thanks to all!

t power

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 3
  Dear all,

need your expert help.

I am getting very confused and I am too stupid or just to tired(have no technical background) to get the whole principles of electrical engineering.

I have an amp where the mfg just mentioned 200mW @ 33ohm (output power).

---
Output power 200 mW/33 ohms
Output impedance 5 ohms
Maximum output level +16 dBu
---

Is there a simple way to calculate the mW @ 300ohm as my HD 650 has 300ohm.

So I can figure out if the amp puts out the the needed mW for its peak SPL range. 

Thanks to all!

t power

No.

You would need more information about the amplifier.  There is no simple conversion between power at 32 (33) ohms vs. power at 300 ohms.  There are amplifiers that can provide more power at higher impedances and amplifiers that provide more power at lower impedances.  It all depends on the circuit design of the amplifier.

Practically speaking, if an amp mfr does not quote the power (or voltage/current) at the higher impedance, most likely it doesn't perform very well at that.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you so much !
I see..

This is what i found in the manual:
---
MFR HP                 / Impedance  / Sensitivity dB @ 1mW / Voltage for 100dB SPL  / Power for 100dB SPL

AKG K-141 MKII   / 55                / 101                                / 209mV                         / 0.8mW

BD DT880 PRO   / 250              / 96                                  / 800mV                         / 2.6mW

GRADO SR80    / 32                / 98                                  /  225mV                        / 1.6mW
---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back