Must have SACD recordings
Nov 16, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 62
Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo and Pentatone have some of the most incredible performances/SQ.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to GreatDane generosity, I will now own a copy of Sea Change on SACD! What a nice guy. Thanks again GreatDane.
beyersmile.png

you'll simply have to listen to this in surround the mix is awesome

other great surround mixes:

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Roxy Music Avalon
Carpenters Singles 1969-1981
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo and Pentatone have some of the most incredible performances/SQ.

Absolutely! I have almost all of the RCA Living Stereo SACDs, and while they are all exceptional the following get a special nod:

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade / Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale - Reiner/CSO

reiner_scheherazade.jpg

Sibelius, Prokofiev, Glazunov: Violin Concertos - Jascha Heifetz

heifetz_concertos.jpg

Chopin: Ballades and Scherzos - Arthur Rubinstein

Rubinstein_Chopin_Ballades.jpg

--Jerome

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 62
You have to buy Dark Side of the Moon if you have a SACD player. I think there's a law.

If you can pick up Sea Change reasonably, you should. It sounds great and I spin it regularly.

Avalon, by Roxy Music is terrific, as is Depeche Mode's Violator and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms.

Dave Brubeck's Time Out sounds great and I love all of the Bill Evans discs, especially Waltz for Debby. The set of six Exclusively For My Friends Oscar Petersen SACDs are worth picking up if you like him.

Arvo Part's De Profundis and Triodion get a lot of plays, and I also love pretty much all of the RCA reissues. Those are about $10 a pop and worth every cent.

Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar (the "Armadillo Album") is just superb as is Jorma Kaukonen's Blue Country Heart.

Finally, give Willie Nelson's Stardust a listen. I don't know if you're into country, but this is Willie doing standards. It's a great performance and a great recording. It has long been considered an audiophile standard and the SACD is no letdown.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Tigerlilly" was never released as a SACD, as far as I know.

My recommendations....

3044675505_0c805a0b47_m.jpg

do you know any on-line store where I could buy it?

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I cant find a decent priced sacd of Gaucho anywhere, I remember once I saw it on ebay for like 18 bucks, but that was it, never seen it after that

Keep your eyes open....you can still find the "Gaucho" SACD for a relatively low price on ebay.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you know any on-line store where I could buy it?

The problem with SACDs from Abkco, like the Sam Cooke SACDs and those from the Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, and the Animals, is that they were subsequently re-released as DSD-remastered CDs, in regular CD jewel cases, with the same UPC codes/catalog numbers as the SACDs. Therefore, if you're buying online, make sure you are getting the SACD, which is packaged in a digipak.

As for where you can still find the SACD, I don't know. All you can do is keep looking.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Tigerlilly" was never released as a SACD, as far as I know.

Too bad, I love that album.
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back