Musings on music vs. equipment
Mar 31, 2004 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
While being seperated from my headphones and PCDP for over a month, due to accidently leaving it with a friend, I was forced to re-examine how I listen to music. All I had was a 2.1 Boston Acostics speaker system, that, while not utter crap, is nothing compared to my headphones.

I know there's been other threads about this, but I thought it interesting enough to think about again.

Why do we listen to music? Is it merely a means to test and/or show off the system with a 0.0000000001% THD? Or is it just to listen to music without poor quality equipment impairing the full enjoyment of it? Or, of course, do we listen to music without caring what it sounds like?

I discovered myself falling into the latter category, after I got used to it. I was enjoying 128KBPS and yes, even a 96KBPS MP3. I wasn't nitpicking the music, I wasn't thinking about how the low bitrate was causing cymbals to lose sustain, I was just enjoying what the artist had created.

Now that my headphones are back, I'm enjoying music doubly so again (especially with my CMoy coming tomorrow), because obviously, no one minds better quality.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Do you care only about the equipment's specs? Or do you care about the music, and would listen to music no matter what the source?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, I was kind of like that, except when I was younger (5-10ish), I played music more than I listened to it. I played piano, and was actually pretty decent. Highest accomplishment was memorizing the unabridged version of Für Elise
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I know everyone plays it, but hey, I was only 6 or 7 at the time, umkay?

Then later, I got into country music (shudder), and now am into, well, here's taking from my profile:

Pink Floyd, Pantera, Creed, The Vines, Metallica, Queen, Linkin Park, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malmsteen, Apocalyptica, Tool, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Meat Loaf, Project 86, Abba, Incubus, Alice in Chains, Jimi Hendrix, The Eagles, Nirvana, Dream Theater

Quite varied, no?

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Yeah, I was kind of like that, except when I was younger (5-10ish), I played music more than I listened to it. I played piano, and was actually pretty decent. Highest accomplishment was memorizing the unabridged version of Für Elise
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I know everyone plays it, but hey, I was only 6 or 7 at the time, umkay?

Then later, I got into country music (shudder), and now am into, well, here's taking from my profile:

Pink Floyd, Pantera, Creed, The Vines, Metallica, Queen, Linkin Park, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malmsteen, Apocalyptica, Tool, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Meat Loaf, Project 86, Abba, Incubus, Alice in Chains, Jimi Hendrix, The Eagles, Nirvana, Dream Theater

Quite varied, no?

How about some Bach, Mozart and Beethoven?

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Stephonovich,

I like most of the music you've listed there. You have good taste.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike,

I'm just getting into Mozart. Could you do me a huge favor and recommend me some recordings (perhaps through a private message so as not to steer this thread off)?

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 12
I got a nice setup because i was tired of feeling like the music was empty. Classical music and jazz just dies on a bad system. I don't mind rock n' roll on a marantz 1060 and some jbl speakers, but anything else just kills me.
i love the beautiful decay of the sounds and the tone and tightness of good bass reproduction.

mid 90's rock is the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

sure i like it, i like to rock out to all that good classical rock,

but man, a good classical guitar or jazz piano will show you what it's really about.

i love pop and pop perfection, i could zone out to the Kinks all day,
but do i personally think that musically it compares to some Schoenburg or Bartok... nah
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 12
I never really have gotten into classical, so I can't comment, mikeg. However, I *would* like to get a decent recording of Mozart's Requiem, as I heard a [very crappy] stream of it once and it was awesome. However, our local library's version is awful. Anyone recommend a good one?

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Because, from the time I was a child I've loved it; whether it's on a 15 dollar pocket radio

Tell me I wasn't totally entranced as a kid in the 70's listening to music in bed at night on my portable tape recorder.
biggrin.gif

On something like this.

EL3300.jpg

All my friends & family's stereos sucked back then and we didn't have a clue.
biggrin.gif

Ignorance can be Bliss

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Stephonovich,

My choir is actually singing Mozart's Requiem at the moment, though we haven't a good recording of it. We've just started it and so far we're mauling it. Hopefully we'll practice it enough to do justice to it, it's a very nice piece.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 12
For me personally, both the music and decent quality equipment to deliver it are important. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but love to have my evening concerts filled with dynamic, detailed sound.

However, if push came to shove, I'd easily listen to music on the lowest of systems...even my clock radio. Music, again, is the basis to listen. Equipment is what brings the music to me.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 12
Sorry, but I can't really recommend any Mozart or other classical compositions. I'm just starting to study classical music from a real good book, and getting the compositions that they recommend. Sorry, but this is now off topic.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Yeah, the recording the library has is a butchering as well. They tried to turn it into an opera. Really annoying vocals. I hated it. Pity, as the music was really nice.

Anyway, OT, but I really love my new amp. (see thread in Amps forum) It's bringing out details I never knew existed. So beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back