Musiland Monitor 02?
Aug 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
So I was looking to buy the NuForce uDac, but then saw the Musiland Monitor 02 for a little more. Hmm the 02 is advertised as an external soundcard as opposed to a dac.. whats the difference? Im pretty new when it comes to this stuff. Is the uDac a better deal because it has a combined amp? Thanks!

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 13
Only difference is perhaps that some DACs don't have headphone out.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
 Hmm the 02 is advertised as an external soundcard as opposed to a dac.. whats the difference?

An external Soundcard gets it´s input from the PC via USB (or Firewire) and only from the PC ... If you compare this to a DAC, where you could plug in the direct Signal from every transport supporting the right output, you´ll see the difference.

short: external Soundcard needs PC .. DAC doesn´t.

greetings

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
So I was looking to buy the NuForce uDac, but then saw the Musiland Monitor 02 for a little more. Hmm the 02 is advertised as an external soundcard as opposed to a dac.. whats the difference? Im pretty new when it comes to this stuff. Is the uDac a better deal because it has a combined amp? Thanks!

The Musiland sounds much better than the uDac, especially without adding an amp to the chain. Headphones sound great directly out of the Musiland. Keep in mind that you need to keep the Musiland plugged in (home use only) and you have to control the volume through your computer (no volume knob). Still, it's more than worth it.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
The Musiland sounds much better than the uDac, especially without adding an amp to the chain. Headphones sound great directly out of the Musiland. Keep in mind that you need to keep the Musiland plugged in (home use only) and you have to control the volume through your computer (no volume knob). Still, it's more than worth it.

What do you mean "especially without adding an amp to the chain"? If I added say a Little Dot 1+ amp to it, would it not improve the SQ?

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:

What do you mean "especially without adding an amp to the chain"? If I added say a Little Dot 1+ amp to it, would it not improve the SQ?

I meant that headphones sound a lot better straight from the Musiland than from the uDac. This is not to say an amp will not help. I didn't mean that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back