Musiland MD-10
Sep 16, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #256 of 269
Hi all,

I know this thread is quite old, but I am going to give it a go in case someone is still following it.

I bought a Musiland DC10 DAC for my HTPC set up. I am using WMC to play music through a HiFI, and watch TV and play video files by connecting the pc to a LCD TV.

Everything is fine for playing music. However, when i play video files I have noticed an annoying problem: When I use Windows Media Center to play video files, the audio gets sudden crackles (like sparks in the HIFI speakers). I tried other configurations with other DACs in the same PC and everything works fine.
I have used two other configurations to test the problem;
1- using an EMU 0404 USB card, which has its own driver
2- the integrated soundcard in the Motherboard, which can use asio4all or generic win driver

In both cases, everything works OK. The problem is only when I use the Musiland MD10 DAC, which uses the generic USB DAC win7 driver
SO, I think there might be some strange incampitibility between the DAC and the PC Hardware and WMC which corrupts the generic Win 7 USB DAV audio driver, and adds some sudden digital noise. Of course that is just my untrained guess...

Any thoughts????

Another question...
If there is a Musiland Dc10 user out there, it would be great if you could help me on this one...
According to many internet sites, this DAC allows choosing between two buffers under a 'style' setting on it's display ("Hifi" and "AV"), bit-depth setting  (16, 20, 24 ), and you can also choose the output for allowing resampling.
However, in my DAC I have never been able to do that, and I can only choose the input and the volume using the front buttons. Do you know why can not I choose the other settings? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #257 of 269
Hello pjuegos,

In reference to your first problem, have you tried any other player other than WMC? VLC, MPHC?

In reference to your second problem- Keep the mode (center) button pressed for a few seconds and you will be able to get to the other settings and use the up & down arrows to scroll.

Here is a good article that I read when I first purchased the MD10.

http://www.affordableaudio.org/MusilandMD10.pdf

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #258 of 269
hi HeatFan12,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. Really appreciated!

In relation to the audio problem; yes, I have used VLC and there is no problem at all. It is only with WMC and that DAC.
Something very strange I also noticed; one of the solutions I tried was formatting the PC just in case a process or installed software was creating that problem; Before formatting, I had the problem with both both WMC and WMP. After formatting , the problem is only with WMC but not in WMP... which is very strange since they share codecs, audio and video API...

Thanks for the article and the user instructions!

Cheers

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #259 of 269
I can now access to those menus. I was curious to see whether the DAC was upsampling by default and creating the audio crackling problem. However, I can confirm if has nothing to do with that

Cheers

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #260 of 269
My pleasure....
beerchug.gif
   Glad to see you sorted some of it out...I can't advise on the other usb issue.  I seldom use the MD10's usb.  I use a Musiland Monitor 01USD usb to spdif converter in between.  

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #261 of 269
cheers HeatFan
beerchug.gif

Anothe question if you dont mind.
Why are you using spdif instead of USB?

Also, are you not bothered about the DAC not being compatible with ASIO drivers?

thanks

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #262 of 269

Quote:
cheers HeatFan
beerchug.gif

Anothe question if you dont mind.
Why are you using spdif instead of USB?

Also, are you not bothered about the DAC not being compatible with ASIO drivers?

thanks

I have a fair amount of 24/96 files and the MD10 does not support that via usb.

The ASIO does not bother me.  I have used the MD10 with different OSs and usually stick with KS or WASAPI.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #264 of 269
Quote:

I am using win7 and WMC/WMP. How do I use KS and WASAPI in this context? 
I wonder if that will help in my HTPC problem

cheers

I have not used WMP in years so I can't advise.  I use Foobar.  Don't know if you want to give it shot.  Very tweakable, however, simple install if you just want to test the output.-- Install program and after install download the Kernel Streaming and WASAPI components and add them to the components folder.  Restart Foobar-- File- Preferences-- Output (select your DAC from output device...) ...
Here is a previous screenshot I found.  Try it with KS and WASAPI, see if it helps you a bit.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #265 of 269

Quote:

I am using win7 and WMC/WMP. How do I use KS and WASAPI in this context? 
I wonder if that will help in my HTPC problem

WMP/WMC don’t support WASAPI.
Kernel Streaming is known to work on certain Windows Vista and Windows 7 configurations, but not with devices having WaveRT drivers such as High Definition Audio Devices integrated with newer motherboards
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=78885

Try DPC Latency Checker, maybe it helps you to isolate the problem

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #266 of 269
Roseval, HeatFan12

Thanks for your replies

Ok, So I see that in WMP/WMC there is no other option than ASIO4ALL, which does not work with MUSILAND

HeatFan12, thanks for your Foobar screenshot . I am a mediamonkey user, so I will try to install KS and WASAPI plugins first if there exist. It is great to see that the MD10 is compatible with KS and WASAPI. hopefully, MM also allows it

Roseval, I used the DPC latency checker but nothing strange could be detected

cheers

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #267 of 269
I have found the problem!!!

In WMC there is a menu to configure the display. In my case, it was set to "FLat panel", and it should be in "TV". 
Strangely, that was causing the problem in the audio when playing some AVI files

Thanks to all of you for your time and help on this

Cheers

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #268 of 269
problems came back but I  have finally found the problem!!!!!

I have connected the DAC through the optical/SPDIF and everything works with no noise.
Veredict:  win 7 generic USB DAC driver is a complete disaster!

Thansk for your help!!!

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #269 of 269
Gentlemen, good morning!
working abroad I bought a DAC with integrated headphone amps: MD10 musiland
is a good dac, at least I think being the first, but the music goes well and is a nice feeling
for now I'm listening with the denon ah-P372, related directly to the headphone output of the DAC, which has a dedicated amplifier
well controlled but very uncomfortable
headphones that I could combine a step above?
The amplifier is suitable for the low-medium impedance (grade-denon denon already have it, grado sounds nice but also be uncomfortable
these headamp characteristics:
General
Analog output
Dynamic Range: 120dB
SNR (A weighting): 120dB
THD: 0.0005%
Frequency response (20Hz ~ 20kHz): +-0.5dB
Output level: 3V rms
Output impedance: 10K
Earphone RMS: 500mW/RL = 100Ω; 200mW/RL = 32Ω ESPECIALLY THE LATTER I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT MEANS-excuse the capital letters

I thought the sennheiser hd595 or 598, which have a nominal impedance of 50 ohms, but indeed to see Rated gafici have peaks above 250 ohms, so maybe you do not marry well, even if their have a nice pressure .. I do not know

for aesthetically and comfort seem to me the best headphones
my budget is 150-200 usd-eur,
for music are omnivorous: free-jazz free-jazz-folk-rock-psychedelic-avantgarde-contemporary-ambient-techno .. very few classic rap metal anything

what recommend?

hello, thanks, Daniele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back