Musiland 02 to EF-5 Problems.
Nov 20, 2010 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

end0rphine

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a combo EF-5 and HE-6 from Hifiman and connected to my computer. I'm just wondering why the volume is so low. I have volume on maximum from both the musiland and the EF-5. One thing I noticed is that the volume is the same even if I plug my headphones directly into the musiland and completely disconnect the EF-5. Any suggestions?

There must be something that I'm missing 'cause at this point, the HE-6 sound worse than my old ultrasone pro 900 :frowning2:

EDIT: Ok I just removed the tube on the EF-5 whilst music was playing, and made no difference. Is there something wrong?

EDIT2: Seems no sound is coming through at all now. Opting for a replacement.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 16
Make sure you have the correct voltage set on the power supply for the EF-5.

NEVER pull out the tube when the amp is on! Also make sure the tube is seated all the way in the socket. Push it down while rocking in a circular motion.

You'll also want the gain switch on the H "high" setting.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Yep voltage is correct AFAIK. (Actually im not sure how their voltage settings works. I require 230 V. Does the indent have to be covering the part that says 230v in order to use 230v? I wish this damn thing came with a configuration manual)

Gain switch was on High.

Does anyone know if opening this up voids warranty?

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 16
Yep have triple checked everything and all settings are correct - voltage, gain, cables, wall socket converter plugged in. Funnily enough, no sound is coming through at all now and last night it was at least outputting something.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Try connecting another source up to the EF-5 and see if it amplifies, if no then you have a faulty unit.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 16
I used ebay or the FS here. Get a 12AU7 tube. I like the Tung Sol Black glass although I find the stock RCA clear top pretty good too. Which tube did you get?

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 16
Sorry for the late reply, but I just received the replacement EF-5 from head direct which includes the 12AU7 tube, and it's doing the same thing. I'm getting extremely annoyed and regret having purchased this entire set in the first place now. Here are some pictures, and was wondering if anyone could perhaps find any potential faults in the line somewhere before I go insane.

Should I just go buy a different AMP?

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Are you getting no sound or is the volume level still low? Narrow down you issue to a particular part.

1. Try a different source other than the Musiland. Like directly connecting it to your sound card or to an ipod/cd player/reciever
  2. Try a different pair of headphones
  3. Try a different RCA cable

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 16
did you try like the previous poster suggested and trouble shoot each part of your setup? is your musiland outputting through line out into another device with no problems? is your cable ok? are all your plugs connected securely? is the tube in securely? etc etc. I assume there is some power indicator on your amp?

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 16
Well I just tried connecting my mp3 to the amp via 3.5mm to twin RCA and there was no sound. Was that part correct? Also used a different pair of rca cables and same result.

Btw yep everything's plugged in near breaking point, any further and the tube might shatter lol. Not sure about the power indicator; the amp used to shine a subtle blue hue in the window portion of the amp, but now no longer does that. 

Just for good measure, here's the whole circuit:

Starting with PC (Foobar 2000) -> USB to Musiland 02 -> Musiland line-out RCA -> rear RCA of EF-5 -> headphones (HE-6/pro900)

Is that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back