Musician's Forum?
Aug 17, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 21
I would love to ask about the build of a piece of music. I'm not a musician but have interest in the art.

Please do.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 21
I voted N/A, but only because I wanted to see how the Yes/No vote was coming along without biasing the vote. It's not like I thought the idea itself was not applicable, but this is the kind of thing that I think we ought to let our members decide.

I really like the idea and although I'm not a musician myself, I don't think that such a forum would be any less alienating than the DIY forum is to someone like myself (who is a decidedly non-DIY type), or that the High End forum may be to others (although, I must fess up about being pro-High End).

First, let me share some general thoughts about our DIY forum, because I think much can be learned from the way that it operates. In fact, it may serve as an excellent example for the Musician's Forum to follow, if such a forum were to become a reality.

As much as I'm not "naturally" interested in most DIY topics (and couldn't see myself doing much, if any, of it myself), I do from time to time find some DIY threads to be quite intriguing. It's also fun to be a "fly on the wall" at times, and enjoy reading the back and forth among those who are more intimately familiar with the topics under discussion. More to the point, we need the DIY forum to help advance/promote the state of the art within our hobby. To have DIY threads mixed in with the regular headphone, amp, source and cables forums would both distract from those forums and dilute the efforts of those who are most interested in building the DIY community.

But still, as much as the Head-Fi community needs the DIY forum for all sorts of good reasons, there may be some people who feel "alienated" by it's presence because it's so technical and scary and so on. Silly, when you think about it, because the more you learn about such things, the less technical and scary they will seem. It should only be scary if you decide to start posting in a highly technical thread, the subject matter of which you have no understanding of! Unfortunately, some people have no such fear, but I digress.

What I think the DIY forum (and by extension the various active "DIY type" Head-Fi members) has accomplished over the years is twofold:

1) it/they have helped, in no small measure in the early years especially, to advance the state of the art within the hobby, mostly with respect to amps and cables, but in other productive ways as well, but

2) it/they have done this without intentionally alienating the non-DIY types, to such an extent that the non-technical "everyday" folks at Head-Fi who have zero background in electrical engineering (or whatever) can still ask simple, even naive questions within the DIY forum and get well reasoned and respectful answers. It has always been a shared passion and not an "us" (technical types) versus "them" (idiots like me), although I suppose they may smirk from time to time, and that's Ok with me; I know some things that they don't know, and so does everyone else who posts here.

In other words, the DIY crowd has it's playground and they can do what they want to within "their" forum. At times (see point 1 above) they may need to more or less communicate between and among themselves on the more "serious" technical topics, in order to be productive. Yet, at other times, and I think most of the time, they have a more embracing attitude (see point 2 above) in the sense that they encourage non-DIY types to ask the simple/basic questions, and in fact, to give DIY projects a try for themselves. There were even "group build" types of threads years ago, where everyone started from the same kit and worked through an amp building project step by step with all sorts of expert support within the thread and via PM.

So what's my point in all of this? Well, if it isn't obvious by now, I think that if we are to have a Musician's Forum, it really shouldn't be designed with exclusivity in mind. Instead, it should be a place where our resident Head-Fi musicians, of whatever instrument and whatever skill/experience level, can gather and talk shop about things that they find most interesting about being a musician, but with the understanding that you don't just wake up one day and play like Eric Clapton. It's a process of becoming more so than a state of being, so no need for the snobs to apply. Or at least that's my take on it.

Some of the threads will naturally be more inviting for non-musicians to participate in than others, but that's the nature of the game. If you don't know how to play a guitar, or to write music, or even to read music, but want to learn, I suspect there will be people who can give you all sorts of pointers. In theory, we could do all of these same sorts of things in the member's lounge, but I think our community is much stronger due to the contributions over the years from the DIY folks in terms of what they've been able to do with "their" forum. I'd hope that the same could be said with respect to musicmanship in a couple of years if the Musician's Forum becomes a reality.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of trying to be everything would it be possible to partner with some one like Steve Hoffman and his site at Steve Hoffman Info Site | Home

It might work as a 2-way street and bring new blood to Head-Fi and Steve Hoffman Music Forums.

Mitch

You've got a point there as well. One could argue that unless there is...

(by the nature of the types of people that constitute our membership and thus the types of thread topics that they will naturally, in an unaided manner, initiate on their own)

a need for a new forum (or forums), we shouldn't be creating it/them just for the sake of it.

In other words, how many musicians are there in our midst? How often do they feel the need to be talking about their musical passions in the context of Head-Fi? Are there other places on the internet where they can go that will better fill those needs?

In my case, I love visiting Audiogon if I'm looking for high end gear for my speaker-based systems. It's a good place to find interesting discussions on similar topics. Same goes for Steve's site with respect to music. That's my "go to" place when I'm in the mood to just hang out and chill with a bunch of like-minded folks. Have you noticed that most of them are sort of in the 35 to 55 age range, and mostly into classic rock? Anyway, I feel at home in both of those places, and several others.

At the same time, just because there may be sites that do certain things "better" than we do (i.e., I couldn't imagine even trying to "compete" with Audiogon or Steve's forum in terms of their respective strengths), it doesn't necessarily follow that we should limit ourselves to a "headphones only" mentality. DIY was a natural and immediate fit. It took a lot longer before it was felt that there was a "need" for the high end forum; same for the Gear-Fi forum.

It's kind of like the way the sidewalk system develops on a college campus. You take an ariel view picture every couple of years, and then put down cement where people have developed the most pronounced dirt paths.

One attitude might be, "Why not? What could it hurt?" but if this were the sole decision making index, then we could end up with as many forums and sub-forums as they have at the AVS Forum, and I would think that most would agree (even if you just take a quick glance: AVS Forum) that we shouldn't be headed in that direction!

In any case, this will be an interesting thread to follow. I say: if there is a "need" then we ought to do it, but if people think we should do it "just because" then we're 'better off leaving well enough alone'.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 21
I know that I take great pleasure in helping people of all skill levels learn more about my craft, piano (and music in general). I really don't think that it would be elitist at all.

As for the need, yes, there are other forums out there on the internet, but headfi is relatively unique in terms of its community and the overall quality compared to many of those other forums. I honestly believe a musicians forum would be a great asset to headfi.

I think comparing it to the DIY forum is actually a very relevant comparison - when I knew literally nothing about audio electronics, I went into the DIY forum and read and read and read. I asked stupid questions, which were all answered with the utmost kindness. Eventually due to everyones help I was able to modify my Melos SHA-Gold and in turn was able to help others do the same modifcatoins.

I think a musicians forum here on headfi would be much the same way. Think of all the new music that we could discover! Members could post their recordings for others to enjoy, we could discuss what goes into music making, the more seasoned musicians could answer questions from the less experienced, etc, etc.

I know I've said it before, but I would post everyday in the musicians forum.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....I think a musicians forum here on headfi would be much the same way. Think of all the new music that we could discover! Members could post their recordings for others to enjoy......

This gets my imagination spinning. It would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back