Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #781 of 1,480
FA-10 is very good amp and 10k Ohms is only marginal below standard, I didn't hear pairing problems with Denafrips/Musicians.

This is on SE input. An impedance of balanced input is substandard, I wouldn't recommend with Denafrips/Musicians. You can try, it wan't do any damage, report back.
Thanks for the info. I use it as balanced btw :) I don't even have rca cable currently. I'll try once I get a pair.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #782 of 1,480
My Topping A90 works fine with Pegasus without anything wrong no matter for headphone or speaker
I can also confirm it works well with my A90: lots of dynamics and detail out of this pairing. Only tried it with balanced xlr though... I especialy like the Peggy paired with my Schiit Lyr 3, even if that one is single ended.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #785 of 1,480
I can also confirm it works well with my A90: lots of dynamics and detail out of this pairing. Only tried it with balanced xlr though... I especialy like the Peggy paired with my Schiit Lyr 3, even if that one is single ended.
Topping technical service did not recommend to pair A90 with Pegasus, but Aoshida thinks no problem.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #786 of 1,480
FA-10 is very good amp and 10k Ohms is only marginal below standard, I didn't hear pairing problems with Denafrips/Musicians.

This is on SE input. An impedance of balanced input is far more substandard, I wouldn't recommend with Denafrips/Musicians. You can try, it wan't do any damage, report back.
Someone told me it's still ok for input impedance equal to output one

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #787 of 1,480
It's never too late to give the Pegasus a recommended buy award

https://www.headfonia.com/musician-pegasus-review/

Musician Pegasus award.jpg

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #788 of 1,480
It's never too late to give the Pegasus a recommended buy award

https://www.headfonia.com/musician-pegasus-review/

Musician Pegasus award.jpg
Good review. I got my Peggy about a month ago. Found your review closely matches what I've experienced in the month I've been using it. I like it very much when combined with my Naim Supernait 3 and Martin Logan Montis, but also when used in my desktop system combined to my Schiit Lyr 3 and Hifiman Arya.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #789 of 1,480
Good review. I got my Peggy about a month ago. Found your review closely matches what I've experienced in the month I've been using it. I like it very much when combined with my Naim Supernait 3 and Martin Logan Montis, but also when used in my desktop system combined to my Schiit Lyr 3 and Hifiman Arya.
Thank you. It's a great unit. Have you experienced any glitches?

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #790 of 1,480
Jan 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #791 of 1,480
I tried to install the firmware via my Asus laptop (Win10 HOme 64).
http://www.musician-audio.com/en/col.jsp?id=105
Firmware 3.06
I already got an error that the libusb0.dll library is missing.
I corrected it by installing the 32bit version (which is supposed to be compatible with the program "xprog.exe". The 64bit version does not work).
But if with the driver, I visualize the Pegasus on my Asus when I switch to the procedure (flashing of the USB on the dac) I have this error in the CMD window.
Code:
XING Digital Audio Technical Team
Firmware Programmer v1.3.0
Error 010: no valid device is found.

╣╠╝■╔ıð┤╩º░▄

I cannot seem to locate the new firmware for the Pegasus. Do you know if it is still available?

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #792 of 1,480
I cannot seem to locate the new firmware for the Pegasus. Do you know if it is still available?

I wasn't aware there is a new firmware. What does it change?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #793 of 1,480
Nope. It can only make sound worse. Topping input impedance is extremely low, people should be aware of that. It is below 2kOhm if I remember correctly, it should be close to 100kOhm on XLR. When paired with Pegasus you can expect high frequency roll off, increasing distortions, as ladder is overloaded by low input impedance of the preamp.

In addition, it is nested lopback opamp design, it measure well, but will react poor to the high frequency components coming out of a ladder. For a ladder DAC like this, Class A discrete amplifier is better, or a tube.
Chief Engineer of Denafrips told me :
Don't worry too much about impedance matching as long as the preamp for his DAC is pure impedance input way,

Only the transformer input preamp's matching was problematic.

I'am not sure if Topping A90 is pure impedance input way or transformer input one.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #794 of 1,480
Ev
Chief Engineer of Denafrips told me :
Don't worry too much about impedance matching as long as the preamp for his DAC is pure impedance input way,

Only the transformer input preamp's matching was problematic.

I'am not sure if Topping A90 is pure impedance input way or transformer input one.
I am sure the engineer was talking about pure resistance, which means without capacitive or inductive components which are frequency dependent. There is no such term as pure impedance. Even with such correction he is not right, as excessive load of the ladder matters.

Topping A90 amp cannot work stable without low pass filter on the input, sorry. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back