Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #257 of 1,480
In my case, I think the Matrix SPIDF2 I received is faulty and the I2S input using PS Audio mode is fine.

I realized I had another DDC in my car system and it actually had I2S out and operates in PSA mode (cheapo SMSL X-USB). I tested it this morning and it is working perfectly into the Pegasus. Similarly, I had mentioned earlier that the Gustard U16 in PSA mode also worked into the Pegasus (but the U16 had other issues so it was returned).
Turns out the Matrix XSPIDF2 was fine - I tried 2 units - and Arthur at Power Holdings has been awesome about it. Works fine with his demo Pegasus. Now I'm waiting on Aoshida/Musician's response.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #258 of 1,480
I got my Pegasus a couple days ago so it is still going thru the burn-in process but I did had a listening session today and it is already sounding spectacular! Can't wait until the 200 to 300 hrs. it needs to be at it's best.

I am using a Pi2aes and utilizing the I2S input of this dac and then feeding a Raal Requisite HSA-1b/SR1a amp/headphone combo. Using the balanced xlr connections between dac and amp, I was floored by what I heard with this set-up. Width and Height of Stage/Imaging was huge, more like cavernous! Female vocals reproduction was to die for! Binaural recordings needs to be experienced with these!

If this is what I'm hearing now, can't stop thinking what more is in store after the required burn-in time is reached.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #259 of 1,480
Turns out the Matrix XSPIDF2 was fine - I tried 2 units - and Arthur at Power Holdings has been awesome about it. Works fine with his demo Pegasus. Now I'm waiting on Aoshida/Musician's response.
Looks like Aoshida is going to handle it through warranty and update/fix the I2S modes.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #260 of 1,480
Looks like Aoshida is going to handle it through warranty and update/fix the I2S modes.
I was lucky that they had an open box unit in the USA and allowed me to swap mine out for it. All set now and enjoying I2S in from the Matrix, great service by Aoshida!

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #262 of 1,480
My unit needs to be shipped to Aoshida in China out of my pocket (which costs close to $90) to update the firmware. I haven’t decided whether I should do it.
Are you able to use I2S now in their default mode? My issue was that their default wasn’t working at all. I got it to work on another standard but it would still lose DSD sync.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #264 of 1,480
Yes their default mode was working for me. I tested with a regular hdmi
I personally wouldn’t send it in then. Just keep that configuration in mind when looking at future I2S devices.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #265 of 1,480
I personally wouldn’t send it in then. Just keep that configuration in mind when looking at future I2S devices.
I agree. Default is PS Audio mode, more companies follow this.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #266 of 1,480
I agree. Default is PS Audio mode, more companies follow this.
I’m fairly certain my faulty one was programmed mostly to Gustard or SMSL standard (looking at the various I2S configs out there), but something was still off. If they hadn’t covered it under warranty, I would have tried a Singxer unit which allows all the pins to be configured as needed. Even then, it would’ve been a crapshoot.

If it’s working in PS Audio mode, you’re golden.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #268 of 1,480
Hello,

anyone compare Pegasus with Ares II? Or even Pontus II?

regards,
Simon
Pegasus has no chance with Pontus. Look at the power supply, it is completely separated and shielded from a DAC section. It has a feature advantage in over Ares, as I2S is essential for upgrading in future. At the moment Musicians are busy fixing teething problems and I don't want to send my DAC back just for firmware upgrade. I like this feature, but if you want I2S working now, better look at Audio GD R-1, R-8 or Pontus.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #269 of 1,480
Pegasus has no chance with Pontus. Look at the power supply, it is completely separated and shielded from a DAC section. It has a feature advantage in over Ares, as I2S is essential for upgrading in future. At the moment Musicians are busy fixing teething problems and I don't want to send my DAC back just for firmware upgrade. I like this feature, but if you want I2S working now, better look at Audio GD R-1, R-8 or Pontus.
So I2S on Pegasus not working correctly?
For now I have only USB out transport.

regards,
Simon

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #270 of 1,480

Users who are viewing this thread

Back