Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Sep 25, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 1,480
Don't need Google to find out that referal is only given to the more expensive R2R converters. Missing major competitors in the same price range: Denafrips, Audio GD or Soekris.

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 1,480
The MUSICIAN Team just issued a statement on the YouTube review:
http://www.musician-audio.com/en/nd.jsp?id=17#_np=121_654
The very first reply or second reply should have been that they have done comprehensive test and this DAC in general doesn't show such behaviour and reviewer must have the defective Unit and should have given the return address instead of 3-4 back and forth and finally asking them to return it.
Just my 2 cents since as a customer all I get is bunch of chart upon my complain of unit then its obvious that I would get angry.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #21 of 1,480
As far as I know, there are four reviews of Pegasus, three glorify Pegasus, and one criticizes it.
None of us who own a Pegasus sound is distorted or strange, on the contrary, the sound is exceptional and natural.
I am surprised that the people in charge at Musician sent the broken device, without prior verification, to the reviewer who has already declared himself against Pegasus!
I listen to it, and I am convinced that it is ahead of its price range.
Just my view of the situation

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 1,480
Guys, I’m new here. Actually I learned from my Hong Kong friends that Musician has very close relationship with Denafrips. It seems to be the second brand of Denafrips, but sold by different distributors, that is, they are all from the same designer? If so, there is nothing to worry about, at least in terms of sound and quality.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 1,480
There is nothing to worry, I agree. However there is no reason to pay more for Pegasus.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #25 of 1,480
OK. to talk a little about sound
This is my first R2R dac, it’s different and I like it.
With the Pegasus, I like that it is smooth, and has a very good stage depth with a good separation of instruments.
But headphones are also important, on sen.HD 540 RG I have a far better pairing than HE 560 or Philips fidelio X 2

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 1,480
For those of you with this unit, was the DAC in a plastic bag or plastic wrap inside of the foam packaging inserts?

I ask because upon arrival today, my unit did not have any plastic protection and I’m seeing some micro scratching on the top case. Just want to be sure was actually “new in box” as opposed to a b-stock unit.

No real impressions yet, I just plugged it in and it’s warming up. I did notice though that it requires power over USB for my Auralic Aries to recognize it. I normally use a Vbus2 isolater to keep power out of the USB cable.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 1,480
For those of you with this unit, was the DAC in a plastic bag or plastic wrap inside of the foam packaging inserts?

I ask because upon arrival today, my unit did not have any plastic protection and I’m seeing some micro scratching on the top case. Just want to be sure was actually “new in box” as opposed to a b-stock unit.

No real impressions yet, I just plugged it in and it’s warming up. I did notice though that it requires power over USB for my Auralic Aries to recognize it. I normally use a Vbus2 isolater to keep power out of the USB cable.
You can see my pics on first page of this thread. Mine did not come in a plastic bag, but looked fine. I'm not super picky though lol.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #29 of 1,480
As far as I know, there are four reviews of Pegasus, three glorify Pegasus, and one criticizes it.
None of us who own a Pegasus sound is distorted or strange, on the contrary, the sound is exceptional and natural.
I am surprised that the people in charge at Musician sent the broken device, without prior verification, to the reviewer who has already declared himself against Pegasus!
I listen to it, and I am convinced that it is ahead of its price range.
Just my view of the situation

I just have to get this off my chest... How can you NOT own a Denafrips Terminator??? I mean T1000? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As far as I know all those 3 reviews follow the exact same lines of the press release. Exactly telling us as instructed. Same phrases, same words. So much for independent journalism. The only one who does not follow the official party line is critical.

You ASSUME the device sent to NBT is faulty. I sincerely doubt it. As i explained elsewhere the probable cause is the computer + s/p-dif. S/p-dif has one line sending alternating packages of left and right signals, so messing up the timing can make it swap sides. It could be the s/p-dif receiver is causing these timing issues, but if it's 'allergic' to vague timing i wouldn't nescessarily call it faulty. Just feed it better signal and its fine.
One other thing i can think of is the extra inputs. Iirc these splice in after the s/p-dif input. Could that be the cause? That they made a shortcut and left the door open for RF noise or something?
I think it's telling that 'Musician' support and testers have no clue and just send customers a test chart saying 'the unit is fine, it is your fault'. This is what happens when you steal a design and sell it off as your own. When you designed something yourself you have a far better grasp of what might be going wrong (and a clear conscience, no need to cover up).

Also again you assume Musician audio sent the unit 'to the reviewer who has already declared himself against Pegasus!'. Where did you get that? Jay comes across as very, very objective, fair and super honest. When fed USB the unit works fine and this is what Jay from NBT reviewed and describes.

Jay is also honest enough to talk about the elephant in the room that all those other 'positive' reviews are silent as the grave about. That is that the Pegasus looks identical to the Denafrips Ares with cosmetic upgrades, extra inputs, downgrade in the power supply and a 'verschlimbessertes' (great german word for driving your cart in the muck while trying to improve) active output.

Maybe you are all hoping he had a defective unit that would explain the bad review. That way you did not make a wrong choice (who wants to admit that?) or could have done better at a lower price buying the Ares II. Well then rest assured, you still have a great dac that is far ahead of most of the competition. Most, because the original is even better AND cheaper to boot.

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #30 of 1,480
I just have to get this off my chest... How can you NOT own a Denafrips Terminator??? I mean T1000? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As far as I know all those 3 reviews follow the exact same lines of the press release. Exactly telling us as instructed. Same phrases, same words. So much for independent journalism. The only one who does not follow the official party line is critical.

You ASSUME the device sent to NBT is faulty. I sincerely doubt it. As i explained elsewhere the probable cause is the computer + s/p-dif. S/p-dif has one line sending alternating packages of left and right signals, so messing up the timing can make it swap sides. It could be the s/p-dif receiver is causing these timing issues, but if it's 'allergic' to vague timing i wouldn't nescessarily call it faulty. Just feed it better signal and its fine.
One other thing i can think of is the extra inputs. Iirc these splice in after the s/p-dif input. Could that be the cause? That they made a shortcut and left the door open for RF noise or something?
I think it's telling that 'Musician' support and testers have no clue and just send customers a test chart saying 'the unit is fine, it is your fault'. This is what happens when you steal a design and sell it off as your own. When you designed something yourself you have a far better grasp of what might be going wrong (and a clear conscience, no need to cover up).

Also again you assume Musician audio sent the unit 'to the reviewer who has already declared himself against Pegasus!'. Where did you get that? Jay comes across as very, very objective, fair and super honest. When fed USB the unit works fine and this is what Jay from NBT reviewed and describes.

Jay is also honest enough to talk about the elephant in the room that all those other 'positive' reviews are silent as the grave about. That is that the Pegasus looks identical to the Denafrips Ares with cosmetic upgrades, extra inputs, downgrade in the power supply and a 'verschlimbessertes' (great german word for driving your cart in the muck while trying to improve) active output.

Maybe you are all hoping he had a defective unit that would explain the bad review. That way you did not make a wrong choice (who wants to admit that?) or could have done better at a lower price buying the Ares II. Well then rest assured, you still have a great dac that is far ahead of most of the competition. Most, because the original is even better AND cheaper to boot.
I don't think it's right to say the Pegasus looks identical to the Ares; excluding the front plate, I'd say the casework's come from a Pontus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back