Musical Paradise MP-D1 - truly musical tubey smoothness
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

K.I. Unlimited

100+ Head-Fier

A brief search did not turn up any dedicated threads (only a sales thread, 1 thread for MP-D2) so here I am.

I chanced upon this magic last month while selecting a DAC to replace my cheap old GoVibe DAC. As I didn't try anything with tubes in it before, I decided to give it a try (I was contemplating between choices like the Chord Mojo and Schiit Bifrost MB). One of the few times my luck paid off; I was endlessly frustrated because my substandard DAC made me feel that spending money on the audio-technica W1000Z was not a worthwhile investment. More than a year later, I am glad I did not sell it off.

I bought the MP-D1 off a local distributor in Singapore (littlemart).

Together with the Meier Classic-ff and audio-technica W1000Z in tow, I'm glad to say that I am finally at the end of my audio journey. For a setup that costs sub-2k it feels very worthwhile (and maybe even better) compared to say the BHSE setup (or any of the setups other than the Chord and STAX booths really) I heard at the CanJam 2017 SG.

The one I bought is the Mk.II version, with the ability to switch between fixed (line- out) and variable modes. I stuck to line out. Very efficient, previously I needed to switch the gain on with my Meier amp; now my Meier Classic-ff is left with the volume knob facing 9 o'clock without gain.

I would highly recommend this setup. Other than the likes of trance and EDM (these music usually benefit from more emphasised bass), just about everything I put through the MP-D1 sounds musical and hi-fi. I could finally hear the vocals almost as though the real person was singing in front of me. Utada Hikaru and Faye Wong(two great divas on this planet), Backstreet Boys, Metallica, game music from Granado Espada (this is one of my reference music e.g. this track https://youtu.be/qL04IvVZd5Q which is highly complex yet musical). Even MIDI-ish music like good old Sonic. However, I would definitely add that for more picky listeners, playing higher bitrate music would definitely sound better. You are also more likely to detect hiccups in mastering quality (artifacts, siblance etc).

The sound signature tends just a little towards the warm side due to the tubes. Makes everything I put through it really smooth. I can listen to it for very long hours.

This purchase really makes me feel that investing in a good DAC is worthwhile. I have never enjoyed my music so much since my Livewires 3 and ESW9 (both of which I sold with much regrets).

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 2
I have the MKIII, The sound really smooth, matching so well with my bright speakers. Great Dac, great bargain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back