Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Sep 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #151 of 963
I've owned the MP-D2 for over a year and it does not nor has it ever had a headphone amp. The website nor the reviews mention one either. It is a DAC with a SE preamp function and that is all. Only their integrated amps have headphone outputs.
Well either you are wrong or the guy at Musical Paradise is wrong. He said the MP-D2 MK2 has a non-balanced headphone amp.
Why would you think people are just making this up ? Look at their website, there are a couple of new models with new prices.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #152 of 963
Well since I own one and the only thing that is changed is the ability to swap DAC chips I don't thing I am wrong. Plus as you said no headphone jack in the photos and no mention in the description. I did look at the website and read the description, did you. Feel free to believe what you want.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #153 of 963
Here is the email from Musical Paradise.

Hi Randy,
Headphone jack is not balanced XLR.

Thanks,
Garry

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Randy <crahsi.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have been wanting to buy your MP-D2 DAC. I have read that you are now offering a headphone amp with it. That would be great ! I hope it would be a balanced 4 pin xlr. Could you tell me if this is true ? Thank You, Randy

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #156 of 963
Why don't you just order one and we can find out for sure.
Well, I was going to, then thought to myself. If Jack Dawkins after owning one for 2 years, says it's impossible that a new version is available with a headphone amp, then why tempt fate. I will just wait until Jack say's yes it is true they have added a headphone amp. Thanks Jack for setting me straight on what must be fake internet news. I can't believe I almost ordered one, you saved my bacon, dude !

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #158 of 963
The back of the new mp d2 version with the plug and play boards has a headphone jack. Its a great dac...especially with nos tubes.
Thank you for this information, it is most helpful !

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #159 of 963

Hey Miamiboy, I purchased this after a short talk with Stuart. Haven't been disappointed a single minute. I tried a lot of tubes with this dac - Rohre Siemens ECC82, Radiotechnique 12AU7, Reflektor 6922 gray shields and finally 6h30Pi (Electroharmonix ARC select grade from Upscale audio). The capacitors are Jupiter copper. I think the best tubes are the 6h30Pi's followed by the Radiotechnique 12au7's. Both are super extended across the frequency range and are super quiet. The 6h30Pi are better than the rest by a quite a margin, though. Fantastic bass, mid-range and treble. The soundstage is completely 3 dimensional and these tubes are the quietest amongst all the ones I tried.
I use a Psvane WE replica 274B rectifier which I found to be way better than any other I tried (RCA, Bendix, Mullard and Psvane 5U4G).
The dac is very detailed with a very natural presentation. Where it shines though, is the tonality...the tone is so..so ..so natural. I am really happy with this dac. Its a keeper for me.

==============================================================================================================================================

Hi aneep!

I've owned an MP-D2 DAC for just under 10 months now and have to admit I really love this DAC ---it replaced an Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC in my system--- now I'm finally getting around to replacing the original output tubes that came with the DAC. I have already replaced the original rectifier tube with a Bendix 6106 tube and the sonic improvement I heard bowled me over. I'm curious is the Bendix 6106 the Bendix rectifier tube you referred to previously trying in your quote above and in what ways did you feel the Psvane WE 274B replica tube sonically bettered it?

Finally you mentioned that you preferred the 6H30Pi tubes over all others for the output tubes. I'm going to replace the four output tubes with a pair of NOS/NIB, 6H30-DR tubes I've had lying around and a pair of 6H30Pi tubes. I have to be sure to put the pair of 6H30-DR tubes in the correct position so they'll be used when I use my single-ended RCA wires. My question is this: "When looking down at the four output tubes --- let's call them 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 when looking at them left to right --- do I replace tube #1 and tube #3 with the 6H30-DR tubes?" Thanks for your time and help...

I'm listening to: Feel The Rhythm by Daria

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

===========================================================================================================================================

My System: YBA Genesis CD4 (used as a transport) Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC, Mastersound Reference 845 integrated, SET amp and a pair of Beauhorn Virtuoso front & back horn loaded speakers w/Lowther DX4 drivers.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #160 of 963
==============================================================================================================================================

Hi aneep!

I've owned an MP-D2 DAC for just under 10 months now and have to admit I really love this DAC ---it replaced an Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC in my system--- now I'm finally getting around to replacing the original output tubes that came with the DAC. I have already replaced the original rectifier tube with a Bendix 6106 tube and the sonic improvement I heard bowled me over. I'm curious is the Bendix 6106 the Bendix rectifier tube you referred to previously trying in your quote above and in what ways did you feel the Psvane WE 274B replica tube sonically bettered it?

Finally you mentioned that you preferred the 6H30Pi tubes over all others for the output tubes. I'm going to replace the four output tubes with a pair of NOS/NIB, 6H30-DR tubes I've had lying around and a pair of 6H30Pi tubes. I have to be sure to put the pair of 6H30-DR tubes in the correct position so they'll be used when I use my single-ended RCA wires. My question is this: "When looking down at the four output tubes --- let's call them 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 when looking at them left to right --- do I replace tube #1 and tube #3 with the 6H30-DR tubes?" Thanks for your time and help...

I'm listening to: Feel The Rhythm by Daria

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

===========================================================================================================================================

My System: YBA Genesis CD4 (used as a transport) Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC, Mastersound Reference 845 integrated, SET amp and a pair of Beauhorn Virtuoso front & back horn loaded speakers w/Lowther DX4 drivers.

Hi Tom
You are right. I am using the Bendix 6106 along with the Psvane 274B WE replica as my main rectifiers. To me both these tubes have very different presentation. The Bendix is very detailed and extremely neutral while the Psvane 274B is extremely musical with fabulous vocals, tonality and bass to die for. Probably the best bass I have heard from a rectifier. I'll admit that I have never had any experience with the original 274B or the 422A or the mullard metal base etc. I think the Bendix comes out ahead where neutrality and details are concerned but the Psvane 274B leads with bass, midrange and a very natural tone. I usually end up listening to either tube depending on my mood.
I also found the 6h30pi to be a very neutral tube. Beautiful tone, very true to the source and quite detailed. Perhaps the 6n1p-ev might give you more bass slam and details but for sheer tone and balance, coupled with enough details, I found this tube hard to beat. As to the tube placement, you are right. 1 & 3 are the tubes that you replace if you are using the dac with the rca outputs.
I really like this dac. Garry apparently has now introduced plug in chip modules with the AK4497 and the ES9038pro chips. I am planning to get my dac upgraded so that I can use these modules. Lets see...

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #161 of 963
I just joined forum because I just purchased a MP-D2 MkII with twin ES9038 DAC chip last week. This DAC is amazing. I have tried rolling tube such as 12au7. Also tried Valvo E188cc. All sounded very nice but currently sticking to some NOS 12AU7.

For the output cap, I have tried Clarity MR cap, it is too forward to my taste but still need a lot of breakin. Right now I am using Russian KBG PIO caps. It is now breaking in which I can comment later.

For the rectifier tube, I am using some 5r4. It sounds fabulous. I would stick to those big fat bottle black plate ones.

I tried to tracehe circuitry of the power . After the tube rectifier, there is an LC power supply (choke) followed by separate separate RC to supply the output tube. The separate RC (resistor capacitance) ensure good separation between the right and the left channel tube. Kudos to Music Paradise for implement this separate RC. I am considering to replace the RC with an LC circuit.

This machine is a play house for rolling output tubes, rectifier tubes and output caps.

The built quality is also marvelous for this price point.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #162 of 963
Have you tried the HP out? Pics?

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #164 of 963
Using the Russian KBG did not turn out well. It lacks luster. It sounds flat. I burn-in the cap for about 24 hours continuously still does not turn out well. I give up. I put back the Clarity MR (0.47 x 2) per channel. It was a revelation. So much better.

After these tube rolling exercise. Different tubes give me different sound. Tried the Mullard E88CC, Sovtek 6h30. THe E88CC or 6dj8 family tend to be ver revealing. If you need some tune down the brightness, then try the 12au7 family. But what amazed me is the roling the tube rectifiers. I tried an RCA 5R4GY RCA and a JAN Syvanlia 6x5gt. They both have a positive impact compare to the stock 6z5p. The 5R4GY is more revealing and more musical.

My future plan is to do more tube rolling of the rectifier and the output cap. While now the Clarity MR sound has break in, I hope to try out some Mudort and Jenzen copper tube cap and Clarity CMR.

But one mod I am considering. That is to replace the separate RC supply to the output tube to LC supply (i.e. adding a choke for each channel). That will be my final goal for this machine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back