Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P compared to the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite
Feb 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jdandy

100+ Head-Fier
I have purchased a Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P headphone amplifier.  It should be here next week.  I have been listening to a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite for the past few years, and I enjoy the amp.  I wanted to try something different, and I thought that the tubes in the X-Can V8P might be a nice change.  Both headphone amps are dual mono Class A designs, so it will be interesting to put these two amps against each other.  I listen with a Sennheiser HD600 headphone using a Stefen AudioArt Equinox cable.

I am interested in comments on the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P, and what I might expect in comparison to the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 5
It will be a few more days before the X-Can V8P arrives.  Since the original owner never opened the case, the original tubes are still in place.  I have no idea who the manufacturer of the stock V8P tubes are, so in anticipation of the X-Can arrival I ordered a fresh matched pair of Genelex Gold Lion ECC88 / 6922 tubes.  I'll spend some time listening with the stock tubes in order to develop a reference point before installing the Gold Lions.  I will let the new tubes burn in for at least 50 or more hours before I start any serious audition.  I am very curious what the tubes have to offer in comparison to the all solid state Gilmore Lite.

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 5
The Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P arrived today.  It's a good looking amp, but more importantly a very good sounding headphone amplifier.  I have been listening now for about eight hours.  I am impressed with the richer, deeper bass and a more organic texture to the sound as compared to the Gilmore Lite I have been using for a few years.  The sound stage created between my ears seems deeper front to back, more 3 dimensional.  The Gilmore Lite is a bit more in your face with its presentation.  After eight hours I sense zero listener fatigue, in fact I just want to keep listening.  I am very impressed with the X-Can V8P's performance.  The fit and finish are high quality, and the Alps volume control with that big volume knob operates as smooth as silk.  I believe I prefer the infinite adjustment capability of the Alps control versus a stepped attenuator.

I have already opened up the V8P, looking to see who manufactures the tubes.  No luck.  The only markings on the two tubes were ECC88, and in small screening that I could just barely make out 1ABR near the base.  No origin markings at all.  I put the X-Can back together, and have been listening to it all evening.  The stock tubes sound quite nice, although I still plan to install a pair of Genelex Gold Lion ECC88's that I ordered.  They should arrive by the end of the week if I am lucky.

I really like what I am hearing with the dual triodes in the circuits.  There is a new smoothness coming from my HD600's, an enhancement to the music's texture, a thicker texture to the bass, and a quiet noise floor.  The V8P will be replacing my Gilmore Lite, which will be going up for sale.  I'll have more to say once I get the Gold Lion ECC88's installed and put some hours on them.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Cue the crickets.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 5
So how do you like it now after years of ownership?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back