Music with flaws you only noticed when you got better headphones
Apr 11, 2015 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
Lets get a list going of songs that used to sound fine, but after getting better equipment you noticed flaws that slipped past the recording engineers. Name the artist, track, equipment, and flaw.

Blood Orange - Champagne Coast - HD650/E5 DAC The drums are looped every 2 measures and when they overlap there is an audible click from level mismatch. You can hear it through the entire song.

Led Zepplin - Stairway to Heaven - HE400/E5 DAC About 5 minutes into the song you can hear the guitar drop out in the left hand side from overdriving the preamp on the console. Just after 'your stairway rides on the whispering wind' when he starts the clean guitar.

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive - HD650/HE400/E5 DAC. Anytime the kick drum coincides with the dubstep bass the song distorts. Almost the entire song is at 0db but they didn't cap the signal well enough and it clips through most of the song.

Dave Matthews Band - Crash - HD650/HE400/E5 DAC. 11 seconds into the track you can hear a tamborine rattle in the center channel from a mic left on.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 10
If anyone has ever listened to the album Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower, you will know this one. In the background to the mammoth guitar solo in Too Rolling Stoned, there are people cheering, talking and carrying on in the background. The solo must have been recorded live with them cheering him on or something - only explanation to me.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 10
I need a 2nd opinion on a track,

Dirty Projectors - The gun has no trigger.

The drum beat in that song is done similar to a drum loop. Is it just me, or are they putting a barely and i mean barely perceptible pause at the beginning of each 'loop' IE each new bar. A pause so microscopic that it comes across as more of a tickle on your ear, than a perceptible flaw. And it's not every bar, only some of them especially at the beginning of the song. It becomes easier to hear if you listen to the interplay of the bass and the drums, or the "Ooooh aaahhhh" with the drum.

These guys do so many odd time signatures, and deconstructed/reconstructed music, it wouldn't surprise me if they did it on purpose. I was listening on my HE400's tonight which are very fast headphones and I think thats the only reason I noticed.

May 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 10
That KOL one is hilarious, but I can't imagine that wasn't fine by the band to be in the track. It seems pretty apparent in the track.

Now, Alter Bridge's track "Slip to the Void", there's a hiss in the background... But about nine seconds in.... it's boosted. I love the track, but man, that bugs me EVERY TIME. I initially never heard it, but I'd hear the song on the radio. Once I got it on any other media... hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back