Music Will Never Be The Same Again!!!
Dec 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 11
looks like a new audio-codec to me. but idk....

some more infos?

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 11
I agree, the video certainly begs the question, where's this all going and how will it compared to existing digital sources?

So, I contacted my Dealer to find out. I should point out that I live in the UK. Meridian is a few miles 'down the road' , as is my local HiFi Dealer.So you would think they'd know??

Having bought into the complete Meridian Media system over the last few years ( 818s >  VTL S200 , Speaker system and 818 > Apex Teton in my Headphone system) I clearly wanted to know if my money was ill spent!!

Well, the answer doesn't seem to be conclusive at the moment ! At this time it seems to be a 'wait and see' scenario !

The possibilities are that it could well outperform existing digital 'sources' .

There is little doubt that we can all 'upgrade' our listening experience and learn to appreciate something better.Over the years,we've all had a 'system' and enthused about it's (sound) quality , only to later be exposed to a 'new' sound which leaves us wishing we hadn't so publicly enthused over the previous.sound.? I thought with the Meridian Media system gave me what I wanted. 
So, when I spoke to my Dealer, I said , "well this has the possibility of re-defining what we are all listening to" ! Not just me, but all of us! even those on these pages (and elsewhere) who think they have all the answers!! Even those with very 'high end' digital sources !!
The answer was " Yes it could well be that good !! ,  only time will tell".!!  In fact if you think about it, there are some writers on these and other forums who have , in the past, made certain 'claims' about reproductions from existing sources being so 'true to life' who may now become 'embarrassed' with previously made comments! 

Along with this new technology will be a new streaming service which will of course cost ! about £20 ($30) /month I'm told ! The hardware will of course be a cost issue for new Meridian customers.So what would the likely cost be in America.Well, comparing Todd's current prices for a Meridian Prime it's $2000 against £1200 in the UK. The 808v5 in the UK costs £11000, so by the same ratio, about $18260 (Todd doesn't give a price)The 818 is £8000 in the UK, so $13280 in the US.  I suspect this will be the 'reference'  model for such purposes which by then would be in it's v3/ v4 upgrade version. I suspect this model will then cost more!
I at least will not have to worry as my units are 'upgradeable  ' !! As is the case at present, there will probably be a 'lesser' cost controller as well? (only my thoughts)

So, not much you don't already know?? and yes I do have a smile on my face as I've quite often had to buy 'American' equipment blind and now have a potential 'killer' on my doorstep!

(only wish Meridian will sort out their 'Indexing ' system - particularly for Classical music)

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 11
further to above
I've just re-read a comment above " how does it work" ?
I think we can all appreciate Meridian will not be 'letting on' just yet ! even if I had the Technological ability to understand it anyway!
I still can't understand how the 'music' gets from the hard drive to the 818 via the house ring mains!!(in the current system)
and sounds better than the original CD !!! a mystery!!
Jude has commented on Meridian's achievements before,can't remember where!

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 11
Here is a link to much more info on MQA from John Atkinson...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa

It's time to get really excited about this! There will be a ton of music available soon unlike some of the high end formats that have very limited titles...

And we have the Exp0lorer2 in stock as well as the Meridian Prime which supports MQA!

Todd

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Sounds pretty exciting, but the biggest problem I think will be the availability of music in the format, especially existing recordings. It's unlikely that every album from every artist will be re-released in this new format, especially for those of us who listen primarily to music that isn't very common.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 11
In March or so TIDAL will be streaming MQA and as of right now only the Meridian Explorer2 and Meridian Prime will be able to decode it. In order for them to stream there has to be a fairly large amount of music available. This should be an exciting time for everyone who loves high resolution files and sound! Unfortunately patience is required... and I am not the most patient person!!! In a short time we will know a lot more. And as I get more information, I will pass it on.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back