Music sounds better on desktop PC?
May 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MusicMate

Head-Fier
When i am using the same DAC and headphones connected to a desktop PC opposed to connecting them to a laptop, The desktop PC seems to sound better- With the same dac/amp and headphones connected to them.
How is it possible and is it?

May 7, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 6
  When i am using the same DAC and headphones connected to a desktop PC opposed to connecting them to a laptop, The desktop PC seems to sound better- With the same dac/amp and headphones connected to them.
How is it possible and is it?

What programs are you using to play audio with?

May 7, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Foobar.
Now something horrible happened:
I was playing music with foobar and my Concero HP on my laptop, And Suddenly there was a lasting super loud static noise. Then it stopped, And it happened again after about 5 minutes. It happened only on the laptop. Now i am afraid i damaged my headphones.

May 8, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 6
If they sound the same, they're vere likely fine.

Power could be an issue, especially if it's a USB dac that relies on the USB bus for all of its power. Try an external powered hub. That may help.

May 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Laptop power quality is absolutely abysmal.  To be honest, so is your desktop - it's just typically not as bad as a laptop.  You will get better results on both if you use some sort of USB isolation, linear-regulated power supply.  Over-voltage is key, too.  Sophisticated DACs, even those that run on USB power, will benefit from a slight over-voltage if they have onboard regulators (many USB-powered DACs do).  If your USB voltage is down around 4.8-4.9 instead of 5 - 5.2, you will lose much of the regulation capability in the DAC and it will sound worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back