Music Server - Olive Opus No. 4
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

firefly0071

New Head-Fier
Hello Audiophiles!

I have 900 cds and I intend to move the cds to a music server.

Basically I would like a music server to accommodate my current and future CD purchases.

I will keep my cd player since I have a cd collection.

With 900 cds and future purchases I would need a terrabyte hard drive. Also the music server analogue/digital should be sent to my current amplifier. That is the music server should be a fancy hard drive and a very good digital to analogue converter since I want to use my relatively expensive floor standing speakers.

Has anyone tried out an:

1) Opus Olive No 4.

2) Hardman Kardon DMC 1000

3) Arcam MS250

I prefer not to have a fancy PC since I need to add:

- a digital to analogue converter
- PCs are noisy
- I don't want to be a IT network manager as well since I want to relax and listen to music
- I don't want to build a PC since other threads show that a PC music server is not quite the way to send to high end amps and speakers

Comments and advice please.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 22
not a pc
wink.gif
using macMini with apogee Duet here, could not be simpler, sounds great, easily upgradable (disksize/dac) silent, but does need a screen.
at those prices I have no experience, and I guess you pay a lot for the looks and usability. but good luck with your search!

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not a pc
wink.gif
using macMini with apogee Duet here, could not be simpler, sounds great, easily upgradable (disksize/dac) silent, but does need a screen.
at those prices I have no experience, and I guess you pay a lot for the looks and usability. but good luck with your search!

How does the Apogee Duet fit in?

Seems like the Apogee Duet is for recording unless you are using the DAC in the Apogee Duet.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi-

The Arcam would fit your most of your needs, but is expensive as it is a multi-room solution with multiple DAC's etc. But as far as I remember, it doesn't have the hard drive capacity you need. If you're not looking for multi-room , it is overkill.

The Olive is also a good solution (is there a terrabyte model?). I own one. But if you are looking for a truly audiophile solution you would need to run it through an external DAC of audiophile quality.

Good quality DACs start at a few hundred $ and go up. See Welcome to Musical Fidelity for one example that is relatively inexpensive.

The Olive is essentially a silent music server in a living room friendly format. Although it is a computer, it is setup to work like an audio component.

So before you reject the music server solution, check out silent music servers. An example can be found here:
Tranquil PC Limited MUSIC SERVERS or at
Music Vault Music Server NAS

Remember, with these wireless units your music server can be out of sight and out of hearing range.

With both these music servers, you need an interface such as a Slim Devices unit. Both the Slim Devices Duet and Transporter are good solutions, but only the Transporter is truly high end and audiophile. The Duet is more on the level of "very good".
See Transporter® Wireless Network Music Player: The wireless digital music player audiophiles have been waiting for. or

Squeezebox™ Duet Network Music System: Listen to the music you love in any room in your home

Again, depending on your audio needs, you can use the Olive or the Duet "out of the Box" and only upgrade to external DAC or the Transporter if you feel it isn't adequate.

Good luck,
Danny

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for the advice. Off the shelf music servers are more expensive than plain vanilla PCs.

I am a bit old fashioned with my many many CDs.

The pursuit of musical nirvana is costing.

Olive Opus 4 music server + DAC...

It's a great hobby though..at least my GF approves (the hobby not the money expenditure side).

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 22
For me, the key aspect of a music server is the software functionality. Once the number of CDs gets into the hundreds, the searching options become essential.
I use the Slim Devices system (Squeeze Centre) and hook my SB3 to a DAC -> amp, works very well. And there is no limit on size, just add a new hdd when your low on capacity (i have over 3,000 albums in my system)

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 22
Shuush..
Don't let 'she that must be obeyed' hear that!

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by firedog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi-

The Arcam would fit your most of your needs, but is expensive as it is a multi-room solution with multiple DAC's etc. But as far as I remember, it doesn't have the hard drive capacity you need. If you're not looking for multi-room , it is overkill.

The Olive is also a good solution (is there a terrabyte model?). I own one. But if you are looking for a truly audiophile solution you would need to run it through an external DAC of audiophile quality.

Good quality DACs start at a few hundred $ and go up. See Welcome to Musical Fidelity for one example that is relatively inexpensive.

Good luck,
Danny

I presume with music servers you can add extra hard drives. In the case of the Arcam, a network (thernet) or USB drive can be added.

But with the Olive Opus No.4 meets my requirements with a terrabyte hard drive will be enough for the foreseeable future.

Depends on price in Oz (where I live).

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 22
I'd build myself a simple pc, put 2TB sata drives in it. Then use a dedicated DAC or a squeezebox for transport.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 22
Thanks for everyone's comments.

What surprises me is that the cost of a music server at home (not portable) including DAC especially if purchased off the shelf is at a price where you can purchase a middle level CD player.

If I was to purchase the Olive Opus 4 at $US1800 for a terrabyte drive and a DAC for say $US1000 that eqals $US2,800.

For that price I could buy a very nice CD Player and the quality of sound of the music server is not going to be better than old technology.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 22
I think you can get some good DAC's for much less than $1000. Take a look at the new "economy" V series from Musical Fidelity. It is a fraction of that. You can also get some good deals on used equipment, look at AudiogoN high end audio auctions, classifieds, hifi chat.

The Logitech/Slim Devices systems go for around $250-$400, and are a good solution. Listen to one to see if it meets your needs.

I think you will find that a well setup hard drive transport solution will sound at least as good as most CD based solutions, and in many cases it will be better.

In addition, you can't fully the fathom how a convenient HD based system can be till you try it. With a good interface, you will find yourself accessing more and more varied music in your collection, and enjoying your music more.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 22
If you run the Slimdevices software the "PC" can be a simple, passive device running a simple OS like FreeNAS. Although quite a bit of work initially, it requires virtually ZERO amount of work afterwards. The cost of a device like this is around €125,- (ALIX board including enclosure, power supply, CF card, etc).
You have to add an USB HDD to store your music, if you need 1Tb that's about €99,-. The ALIX.2C2 board has 2 USB ports, you can add another drive as needed.
Now on to the DAC. I've chosen the Logitech Duet because it has a great remote, it's €399,-. You might need a few network cables, but the shopping list for your transport part of the setup is now ready. Together it's €623,-
The Duet already has a decent analog out, so if you want you can stop there. It also has a coax out however, allowing you to hook up a better DAC when you want it. I've hooked up my Stello DA220MK2 to it, it's a combo that really rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back