Music Server - Olive Opus No. 4
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 22
Music servers are definitely the present and future. Hence my initial interest in having a music server in parrallel to my cd player and I will keep on buying cds..

Getting a music server to audiophile quality is at audiophile costs for an "off the shelf" product like the Olive etc.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 22
Are you really sure that you do not at least want to give a computer based setup a try?

I was about to buy a Squeezebox Duet but instead I got an older notebook to play my music. Together with a nice USB DAC and external harddrive (or network harddrive / NAS) this setup would be (close to) dead silent, give you outstanding options in browsing to your large collection, audiophile SQ and I would say the best value compared to the other options.

And keep in mind that you only need to configure/setup the whole computer thing once, after that you can simply lay back and relax and enjoy the music.

I use the above mentioned setup for my headphone and speaker rig, two laptops with different dacs/soundcards and because of the comfort I am not going to look elsewhere anytime soon.

Also keep in mind that you can always upgrade your source by simply replacing the DAC with another. Replacing your music server could get very difficult and frustrating. I believe not all give you direct access to the music or they could use a propetary format.

Good luck finding the right source
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #18 of 22
Personally, I think dedicated music servers are a better option, but since they're a relatively new product and choices are limited, they are going to be much more expensive (e.g. the Sooloos).

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think dedicated music servers are a better option, but since they're a relatively new product and choices are limited, they are going to be much more expensive (e.g. the Sooloos).

Especially the Sooloos is "just" a simple PC with an RME Hammerfall soundcard. So you can get the same SQ at a much lower price. I can't comment on the comfort and benefits the Sooloos software, but having one plattform/system from one vendor (with support etc) is most likely more comfortable then a "DIY" solution.

As always it all depends on how much money you want to spend and what exactly you are looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 22
MacBook = $999
1TB HDD = $100-150
Airport Express = $129
DAC = $1000+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back