Music recommendation..
Nov 15, 2002 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
biggrin.gif

I know some of you have seen my bitching of how great the Sibelius Violin Concerto is but please, I beg of you, please, listen to this song! I can safely say that this is the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.

The recording I recommend is Joshua Bell's recording of the Sibelius and Goldmark concertos.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 9
so is there a link to hear it on the internet, like amazon.com?

i almost picked up some sarah chang cd's today just to hear a good violin.

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 9
thanks. media player sucks, but it gave me a good idea (especially when auditioned against sarah chang). will see if borders has it, tomorrow.

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
biggrin.gif

I know some of you have seen my bitching of how great the Sibelius Violin Concerto is but please, I beg of you, please, listen to this song!

Song?!?!?

Since you're recommending Joshua Bell's recording, what others have you compared it to and why don't you like them as much?

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi HD-5000
I fully second your recommendation. It's really one of the best I heard - between my favorite five
biggrin.gif
. I have it on two interpretations - one is Heifetz's and the other, less known but I like it even better is Maxim Vengerov with Chicago Symphony and Barenboim conducting... I'll try to find your recommendation too... and speaking about violin concertos the other ones I hold among my favorites are Tchaikovsky's, Beethoven, Mendelssohn and Bruch - all four are amazingly beautiful and if you don't know them already you have to listen to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 9
finally picked it up. NICE. i'll be auditioning for the next 5 days. very sweet sounding, nice command, nice feeling. i can almost see him playing it. definitely music to keep your eyes closed to.

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi Archaos, that Maxim Vengerov recording is literally the worst(!) interpretation of the Sibelius concerto I've have ever heard! Also, this was my first Sibelius CD... Too much artificial vibrato and a very raspy sound that I throughly hate...

I much prefer the smoother sound of Joshua Bell.

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Wallijohn, thanks for taking my word and buying this CD...glad you enjoyed listening to it, although it's more like experiencing it.

Also Archaos, sorry for not reading your entire post, but I too love Bruch's violin concerto. It's definetly at the top 5 for best concertos in my book. And guess what, I'm playing it on my violin!

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back